Gout

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone pls give me some advise, I've just been diagnosed with gout! My doctor said my uric acid is 450 & should below 300 I didn't understand what he was talking about with the figures. He has given me Allopurinol & I'm worried about taking it as I suffer with anxiety & don't like taking tablets! Is there any natural way I can lower my uric acid? I'm in pain all over & very tired! Is being tired due to the gout? Sorry so many questions, I'm 45 year old female! I thought it was an old mans illness 😟

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Spree

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. There are a few things you can do to reduce your uric acid levels...which basically create sharp crystals in your joints that cause the inflamation and pain.

You can drink and eat Cherries, cut out alchol, red meat and certain sea foods. There are loads of list on line. Exercise helps which is where the medication helps to get rid of the paid to enable you to exercise. Try to keep hydrated as much as you can which helps to get flush the uric acid away.

I had to reconcile myself to a pill a day, I was diagnosed with Gout aged 35 and I didn't drink, smoke and wasn't overly over weight. My Doctor told me it was just bad luck!!!!

I was originally on Allopurinol but you have to drink a lot whereas I now use a drug called Februxostat. 

I think once you see a few days of being pain free your anxiety will lessen and at the same time you can try to may the dietry changes and exercise.. and you can try to then ease off the pills...my motto now is everything in moderation..and to be honest I tried doing what you are trying to do but you do walk a fine line as you become attuned to your body and there are early signs where you are going to get an attack so you then take the medication to counter the effects.

I have now been taking the medication for over five years now and have not had an attack..touch wood.

But you should also think that the medication is not only to stop the attacks and get rid of the pain but my doctor told me to take the medication as it would also protect my kidneys as they would suffer if my body could not get rid of the uric acid.

I know it is a shock for you and the question ..why me ? is stil with you. Just remember  you are not alone and there are ways to manage the condition.

I sometimes feel lazy and dont want to exercise then I remember the pain and that is enough motivation.

I hope you find this helpful. Please do not hesitate to ask any more questions..

I am now 49 so have had the condition for a while now and the medication has helped so don't feel anxious about it..

• Posted

Thanks for your reply mylton. 

It's upsetting as I only eat chicken, I don't really drink or fit the criteria of gout bit my dad has it so I guess its hereditary 😟 I've read on here a lot of people taking allopurinol have had swelling from it! & as I've had anaflactive shock 15 years ago with some allergies now it makes me really nervous 

• Posted

Hi Spree I can sympathize with you, as I mentioned my life style wasn't Atypical of a gout sufferer, so I guess it is hereditary. It is like an acute form of arthritis. 

the main issue with allopurinol is that in order for it to work you need to drink lots and lots of water. I was constantly at the toilet!!! And my daily commute to work which lasts and hour was always interesting if there was a delay for whatever reason.

so if you don't drink enough the uric acid isn't flushed out as much and you're still prone to milder attacks which was the case for me.

please check with your doctor if you feel uncomfortable with the current medication.  That's what I did and go moved to different medicine. 

you mention you only have chicken,  you know mushrooms,  certain beans, tofu, and prawns have gout inducing properties so it's not sometimes the obvious culprits. You just need to be systematic in your approach. Get the list foods and see.

Please don't get anxious, start drinking CherryGood you can get it at Sainsburys that helps.

the condition is manageable and once the pain goes..you'll feel alot better

• Posted

The way to lower your uric acid level is to eat more alkaline and avoid acidic foods.

I'm not a pill popper so I tried and was successful with diet to control uric acid level in my body. Research gout foods, gout diet then eat for your health. It took me a month of no meats, no shellfish, cut way back on sugar ( except that from fruit ), cut out all soda ( still no soda a year later ), cut out all HFCS In many drinks and foods like catsup and fruit juices that are processed. Started eating salmon fish instead of steak. I'm gradually starting back on steak once a month but basically no hamburgers and hot dogs or sausage ( possibly organ meat in sausage ). The gout diet was hard at first but I'm not as strict as when I started, I usually eat chicken of fish, In place of beef or pork. I watch the amount of high purin foods now and never get too much so as to remain alkaline.

Being more alkaline has given me more energy, helps in weight loss, and keeps the pain of crystals forming in the joints and my kidneys use to hurt until the diet. See a nutritionist it's not as hard as you might think to eat reducing your acid and gout pain. I felt better and better for about 3 weeks as I returned to normal levels after the first 6 weeks of the diet. It wasn't fast but worth it to me.

Hints for extra alkaline - celery, celery pills, alkaline water  ( you can make it cheap google it on how to ) tart cherry juice or cherries not marchino cherries, fruits and vegetables, pHfresh powder to mix with water.

Now one year later I'm not as strick with my diet becaus I'm staying around the equivilant of the 300 or slightly below. It takes a while to zone in on your alkaline/ acid level. But once you get it you'll feel great and no pills. Although I do take high blood pressure medicine. I use to take cholesterol med. but found out that statins are bad for causing acid levels for gout. Now eating more vegetables and salads regularlly the cholesterol levels are good. I also walk 3.2 miles 6x / week now that the gout pain has subcided. I'm down 20 lbs. in a year. Shooting for another 20 this year. We are all different so your results will vary from mine, as our food choices and bodys are different. I hope your results are better than mine as I'm pain free again.

Best wishes!!!

• Posted

Dear Spree

Whatever you do do not take Alloputinol while you have gout it will make it worse. Wait until completely free of pain before taking the tablets you will be able to read this on the accompanying leaflet.My GP never told me this and I suffered months of agonising pain,foolish man.

• Posted

Thank to all for your kind advice!

Keith, my doctor told me to take it straight away as I'm in the dangerous levels of Uric acid (7.5) (450) but I do have gout at the moment so what should I do?

• Posted

Dear Spree

A consultant rhumatologist told me never take allopurinol while having gout you must be completely free from pain before taking it. It actually increases the pain please read the leaflet, most GPs think this is the obvious medication, if you are pain free then take the tablets their function is to stop you having further attacks.

• Posted

Hi Spree

Generally you are given two medicines, one to reduce your uric acid and the other to help the pain and inflamation from the Gout attack. Ironically as mentioned Allupurinol can trigger a gout attack when you first take it. But that is the case with quite a few of the medications when you first take them.

You do need to do something to bring your uric levels down as it is a bit of a vicious circle as untll you can do that you will continue to get attacks, as there is risk to your kidneys too.

I did struggle with allupurinol as it didn't seem to stop gout attacks though they were less frequent and less intense..ask your Doctor about Febuxostat it doesn't cause inflamation which what concerns you about allopurinal.

• Posted

Hi Spree

I forgot to add that Stress can bring on Gout attacks..so I know it sounds obvious...try to keep calm, I know it is a difficult time and the pain doesn't help but there is light at the end of the tunnel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.