Gout

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Please can anyone give me some help with gout, I have big heart problems and take a lot of drugs one off which is warfarin, which stops me taking the usual drugs for gout as there is a big risk of bleeding so my doctor tells me.

Is there anyone who has similar problems can give me some idea what to take to get some relief.

Many thanks   

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what you mean by "usual drugs ?" I have previously suffered from gout & take Allopurinol & also Warfarin ( for DVT) without any issues. I have also taken Cochisine to clear up a gout attack without any problem. Cochisine can enhance the effects of anticoagulants so it may be that this is what your Doctor is advising ? Also with Warfarin you cannot take medication to relieve inflammation ( such as Indomethacin or Ibuprofen) do that too could be where he is coming from . I would go back to your Doctor & seek clarification.
    • Posted

Hi Phillip, thanks for the reply this is what I was after someone who takes warfarin and allopurinol.

Firstly I did not mention the other drugs as I did not to make it to long and boring but according to my doctor warfarin is the problem. I have heart failure and in December I had IDC implant for sever arrhythmia and put on a lot of different drugs, which just made me very ill. 

My first bout of gout was about 4 years ago and at that time they gave allopurinol and it cleared up within 24 hours but this they seem reluctant to give it me. 3 weeks ago this bout gout started I knew right away what it was but my doctor insisted I had a blood test and give me nothing (just take Panadol) they did nothing help at all.

5 day ago I went back and saw another doctor, who gave me colchicine 500mg 12 tablets for 6 days, within a matter of hours of taking this drug I felt much better and was on my back to normal but now after 5 days it has started to return. I have it in my hands feet knee elbow and big toes, it seems to move around, I going to have to go back and ask them to try me allopurinol as its getting severe and last time allopurinol cleared it up with no problems until now problem is it can take 3 weeks to get a appointment.

Can I ask do you take allopurinol every day and have you had no reaction  at all with the warfarin also what is DVT.

Many thanks Tom

• Posted

Sorry for delay in responding- IT issues ! Anyway I take Allopurinol every day as well as Warfarin which is for a clot or DVT ( Deep Vein Thrombosis) in my leg. I have no problems. I don't have your medical issues though so I would strongly suggest clarifying with your doctor exactly why they won't give you Allopurinol.
    • Posted

Hi Philip, I have only just seen you message thanks for getting back to me.

I’m not too bad today but I am going back to my Doctors to see why I cannot go back on allopurinol cos this drug Colchicine is not working for me.

Many Thanks

will let u know how I go on Tom

• Posted

Hi

I had a stent fitted a couple of years ago after a mild cardio infarction so am taking Aspirin, Perindopril and Amlodipine

I also take Colchicine, Allopurinol and Benzbromarone for the gout

Your GP should be able to prescribe a gastric protector like Omeprazole if you are worried about internal bleeding

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.