Gout because of Proton Pump Inhibitors

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have taken several forms of ppis over the past year on and off and for the past six months cimitidine. Now have gout lower back. You tell the doctor this and he doesnot want to accept it. I do not eat much in the way of acidic - bad diet - and this can be the only cause of it. Yet doctor tries to fob me off with how it is just some temporary thing - a month later it is still there. I have insisted on blood tests for kidney and liver as I know it is not some muscle strain and that would not last a month or have fatigue and

dizzyness with it either. He had also told me that people do not get a lot of coughing from ppis. WellI go it and nothing else could hvae caused it. I only ever had the bad coughing when taking the ppis, it would stop when I came off and start again when I started again. I then found about 50 people online with the same problem.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a similar experience in my back. The gout made it very difficult to straighten up my back when ever I got up from bed or a chair. I had to use my arms to pull my back straight. The only drugs I had were Allopurinol ( up to 3/day now ) and Indomethacin 50mg for pain. The gout was initially in my big toe left foot, then went to my ankels, knees, hips, and back, elbows and wrists. Now it is only on the top of my right foot and ankel. The swelling has started to come down today. Also I've been taking backing soda and water. But that makes BP go up too high. I'm using tart cherries now, all vegan diet, no high fructose corn syrup or fruit drikns or soda.

I'm not a heavy drinker so thats not a problem, haven't had a drink in 3 months.

Haven't lost any weight in the 3 weeks of this, cant walk much for any exercise.

Then today I woke up and lost 5 lbs. I'm 59 years old and 220 lbs. I'm hoping to lose more and this darn gout to boot. I'm going to get some alkaline drops to add to drinking water and try it. The bacon soda and water is quick remedy but not sustainable because of the sodium making BP rise to high. I'm loving the fresh peaches now. Oh the BP med. I was on, had  a diaredic in it which can cause gout attacks. I quit it and am monitoring my BP closely now. It has been in normal range until I used all the bacon soda & water. I've also had success with PHgreens a powder you mix with water or smothie or drink of some sort. And Alfalfa Leaf 500mg from Lindberg which also helps joints. Don't use too much of Either one  they will keep you close to a bathroom! I hope you find your key so solving your gout. I'm  still trying, 3 weeks and 2 days for this bout, and I'm changing my dietary habits from now on Little or no sugar , salt, and meats. I'm actually liking the vegetables and fruits more all the time. Best of Luck Carmel.  Tim

• Posted

Hi Tim. Thanks for your response, it;'s very helpful. This is the first time I have had a "bout" and it has been about three weeks.

But it doesnt seem to be much better now than it was at start.

Its lower back all along and sometimes my big toe. I did start with t he bicarbonate of soda but like you say you mustnt use it too much.

I now have acid cider vinegar capsules which I will alternate with them. I hate the taste of it so cannot drink it. Of course one of the problems is that the doctors dont accept and understand this stuff. So when you tell them your medicine has caused this they want to tell you you are wrong. Then they want to swap it for another medicine which works same way and gives same side effects ! If they hve not had another patient sayihg the same thing recently they talk as if you are imaginging things or makign it up. I am 57 Timonthy and had n problem with back before and one day woke up and bang there it was.

I dont smoke or drink at all. Never take drugs and take very few

normal medicines. I take multi vitamins, omega 6, antioxidants.

Now am taking extra vitamin c to try to help overall and back. Right now I am coping by taking baking soda or acv capsules to lessen the back pains but it doesnt go awsay.

The other thing that drives me nuts is when pepole say "you alright today" as if it just suddenly disappears overnight for no reason. Like you just had a few days of a cold.

• Posted

Now ,here goes,you gout sufferers, I went down the gout road ,and was given 

drugs to cure it ,and none of them did. 

Then I was told about hebal remedies CHERRY EFFECT to break up the crystals,

and BROMELAIN 500mg for the pain. Bearing in mind that I was on crutches 

because of the pain in my  big toe and joint. within a couple of days ,the pain 

became less ,the swelling started to shrink.and in an unbelievable shotr time,

the gout was gone .I kept on using the the herbals for a few weeks. because I

just did not believe that after suffering for 6 months it had gone, and it  has

never returned.

• Posted

Thanks for the reinforcement on the cherries. It's good to hear that it is working for you. I've been doing it for 3 days so far and nothing good yet. 

My uric acid level was 16 and the doc said it should be 6 to be normal.

Maybe it will take some work and perserverance to get it to normal. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Angin thanks for the information. Tim

• Posted

It's a start  Timothy.I took Cherry Effect one morning one evening

I think the  Bromelian works in harmony with the cherries ,at 3 per day

I bought them from Holland & barratts Keep going and then you can

ask me what I want for Chritmas   cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks for the helpful input. Do tart cherries do same thing?> Have seen them for sale at amazon.
    • Posted

Montmorency cherries are the ones that are used By H&B

freeze dried to maintain their potency  Can't say about tart cherries,but probably they are a different type 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline. Thanks. I am not 100% sure this is gout. It may well be.

Got it after taking proton pump inhibitors so its either that or some sort of damage done to the muscles at base of back - not by exercise -

or a bacterial infection - so not rushing out to get anything expensive or unnecessary. But doctors are clueless about thees things. My stupid doctor wanted to switch me from one ppi to another when if it was caused by that the damage would have continued.

• Posted

gout is usually caused  by a collection of crystals  that collect around your

joints, caused by too much uric acid in your body. Don't quite know what

causes the acid to start giving us probs, It cerainly isn't caused by High

Living , Just another trouble maker for us to cope with 

• Posted

It can also be caused by a side effect of certain medications - which would be the case with me if I have gout - the proton pump inhibitors Jacqueline. One day I was fine the next bam there it was and awful.
    • Posted

e too I was woken up in the middle of the night with a seraring pain in my big

toe, burning hot ,red and swollen and couldn't bear anything on it  Couldn't stand on it . So Got a taxi to A&E shoe less  The taxi driver very kindly fetched

a wheel chair and took me in GOUT the doctor said ,gave me two Paracetamol a pair of crutches, and sent me home .another taxi !!! 

• Posted

Oh dear. I did wake up one night with big toe in searing pain. But otherwise it is my back, all along the bottom. And it seems to me the proton pump inhibitors - which change your acid in your stomach - send it elsewhere or something. It seems more than coincidence too that when I stopped taking the medication it stopped and when I started the medication again it started again. Then when I took some bicarbonate of soda the back ache immediately subsided within minutes. As you may well know a lot oif people take bicarbonate of soda for lowering acid / gout. I have been taking bicarbonate of soda since so that the back ache is not as bad as it was before, duller instead of sharp. Having explained all of this to the doctor one feels like pulling out one's hair when the doctor changes the medicine from one acid thing to a different manufacturer's that does the same thing. It never occurs to them we know what we are talking about, or to listen properly How long have you had it now? It is any better?

The cherries sound expensive. I have some bromelian here so have taken one this morning. The reason I was taking the proton pump inhibitors in first place was because I kept getting bad headaches and pains and pressures in the ears which nothing else would help and that did help.

Now I am trying to find a way to make that ok without needing to take those horrible ppis. Especially as when you take the ppis after a bit they give you horrible headaches and pains in the ears too.

• Posted

I usually buy my herbal tablets and things from Holland & Barratt, but

I always wait until they are on special prices, or offers 

You seem to have lots of troubles, I now use the Local pharmacist

or use 111 both are easier to deal with and attend to my probs  much

quicker than trying to get a doctors app.

Take caret

• Posted

I researc h things online. Get better info than the doctor gives. But it does mean perservering and not listening to the silly people out there.
  • Posted

I noticed that the doctor didn't believe about the back pain also, but didn't exactly say it. I just recieved a weird look like I was making it up, why would I do that? Just trying to let him know exactly what was going on with me. I'm trying the tart cherries, and alpha leaf, and alkaline water. You can make it yourself.

Not everyone is the same so what works for one doesn't always work for others.

We are all different and taking different meds. that can effect us in different ways.

I'm definately sticking to my diet as close as I can, we are only human, but as the pain increases I can diet even more. Mostly cutting out high purine foods. Eating meat every 1/3 day or so. Time to go and get some cherries! Best wishes.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I think the problem Timothy is that the doctors are trying to know about 500 or more different illnesses and thousands of different medications

so they are jack of all trades master of none. Most people hang on their every word and even when they get it all wrong they still go back and listen - as if they are Gods. If you called in a plumber to fix your boiler and he messed it up you wouldnt call him in again but somehow people have this blind spot with a doctor. So if they have not had anyone else tell them that their medication gve them gout they think YOU must be imagining things, a hypochondriac, a liar, an idiot or whatever.

I have started taking apple cider vinegar capsules today and they gave me a funny tummy and nausea. Urgh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.