Grade 2 rectocele and surprise enterocele op in one week

Posted , 12 users are following.

hey everyone,

really looking for for handhold and positive support stories.

I have been putting off for 17 yrs getting my Recotcele repaired and bit the bullet after recently having investigations for abnormal bleeding.

At pre-op appt I also had a enterocele diagnosed, I have a wide gap behind my cervix. I had suspected this but no one has ever mentioned it during examination.

I have repair booked in 1 week, I have started  to take movical and oestin cream.  I have recently been diagnosed with early menopause/perimenopause.

what should I expect?  I can't take codiene or tramadol as my blood pressure and sats drop very low.  What alternatives are there? 

Really hoping to to be able to poo without assisting and have piv again.  Am I being overly optimistic?

2 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Mossop. There's lots of information on this forum and the website about post op care. If you can't take codeine or Tramadol your best bet is Paracetamol with an anti inflammatory however in the first 24 hours it just may not be enough but if you are monitored correctly there's no reason why you can't be given codeine or Tramadol along with intravenous fluids. That would be the normal procedure. The intravenous fluids keep your blood pressure within normal limits.

• Posted

Thanks Matron,

The site has been helpful and it is reassuring to see so many women having positive experiences.  I am hoping that the pain will be managed okay, I plan to talk to gynae next week as I have additional Pre op appt about this.

hoping that I may be able to have iv paracetamol and oramorph if it gets really bad.  They won't give me codiene or tramadol as I ended up in resus a couple of years ago (I don't really understand why this happened). Really hoping I will be able to get by on just paracetamol, managed c-section on this and a dose of oramorph.

• Posted

Oromorph is an excellent pain killer so you'll be ok with that. I had IV Paracetamol post op and it's surprising just how effective it is.

• Posted

Good luck mossup, we are all here with you.. Bless you with healing vibes🙏🙏😘😘

• Posted

How do you do with Hydrocodone or oxy? At least for the 1 st couple of days... Good luck and keep us posted m. Remember no straining or heavy lifting! Also invest in some ice packs for the bum area
    • Posted

I don't think that I have had either of those.  I am hoping that I am not being to naive about the initial pain.  Part of what is making me anxious is that my procedure is happening in Europe, they no about my previous problems and have documentation from my consultant in the uk when I had my awful reactions.

Good plan about the bum ice packs, hoping that between walks that I will be able to get on with some cpd work. Going see it as a chance to catch up on admin.

• Posted

Positivity breeds positivity so that's definitely the key 😉 Personally I've not found the pain horrendous. The only night I had bad pain was because I was constipated caused by of all the pain killers I'd had in hospital. When I got home after two days in hospital I felt I needed to go but couldn't. I brought prune juice and drank that along with other things to help. I managed to cut down my painkillers after a few days & stopped them altogether after about a week. I've had similar to you. Rectocele, enterocele & hysteropexy. You need to do no lifting & have plenty of rest. I've found this hard with a six year old but I'm doing my best with some help from family & friends. I wish you all the best for your operation, but it does take time. I'm sure you'll feel amazing when it's all settled x

• Posted

Soaking up the positive vibes lovely people!!

can I ask how long it was before people felt able to drive?  My work are being fantastic and I will be off work for 4 weeks post op.  But at week 6 I will (Idealy) need to drive.  The information given by the hospital doesn't mention it at all.

I very much plan to rest and do my pelvic floor exercises, I will be seeing a physiotherapist afterwards to retrain my muscles.  Ironically I was told my pelvic floor was very strong by the consultant.

Has anyone ended up with an abdominal incision? I was told this is more likely because of the location of the enterocele. How was your recovery?

i have been working very hard on my bowels (30g fibre daily) and I am scared of this part.  I had terrible problems after my first c-section, still remember vividly how awful that was.

• Posted

Hi Mossup you are like me I wasnt able to have codeine or Tramadol either. I am allergic to codeine and interestingly was told that tramadol was not a sensible option for me as it could trigger my epilepsy which Im on meds for but havent had a seizure in 6 years. I was given morphine I guess during the op and then a lot of morphine after as I experienced a massive heart attack a couple of hours post op. During my stay in the heart ward where I was transferred to they needed to treat me for pain for my heart and pain from my surgery so it was morphine then after about 5 days I was given paracetamol. Recovery at home I was given morphine pills which I only used one of and I was also given paracetamol which I used I think for about 3 weeks or so. The trick is to not let the pain get too bad so once you start to feel uncomfortable take the pain killers and rest rest rest. I dont think its usual to be given morphine to bring home so that may have been they didnt want me in any discomfort due to the heart having a bad run. Good luck with your op hopefully like me you will be thrilled to have the joy of passing a bowel motion like a normal person again and not have to go thru the hassles of splinting. Its great not to have the prolapses bothering me anymore. Very happy with my repairs cheers Kath
    • Posted

Cookienz it sounds like you went through a lot to poo like a normal person wink

I am feeling fairly zen about things at the moment.  I have prepared for my appt tomorrow and have put top of the list anti emetics. Whilst oramorph doesn't lead to low bp/O2 sats it makes me very sick.

charging my kindle as I plan to rest a lot.

• Posted

Hi Mossup, seen the other ladies have answered your post good luck with the op I managed on just paracetamol and ibruprofen.

I wanted to say I've been told not to drive for minimum 8 weeks I just presumed I'd be able to drive around 6 which I did after my hysterectomy but nope it's longer for me. Everyone is different though as I'm on no sex for 3 months which not everybody is too 👍

• Posted

Pleased to say I am awake and comfortable 😊

I haven't stood up yet as my bp was very low due to analgesia. waiting to have my catheter and packing removed (is this painful or just uncomfortable?). Bp is better this morning so looking toward to getting up!

Passing lots of wind but don't feel I need to poo (sorry for the tmi) supposing this is normal, I feels like a flashback to post c-section 😉.

• Posted

Ahh moosup, I'm so pleased its all over for you. Now rest and accept all the help you can.healing hugs😘

• Posted

It wasn't painful for me so I hope it's not for you also. Glad you're OK, rest up & look after yourself xx

• Posted

I am holding your hand. I am in a right state myself, waiting to see the surgeon on Monday and things are so desperate I don't know how to get by til then. Keep in touch. xxx

• Posted

Thinking of you artlil18. Try and think of other things to fill your day. I was like you when I found out my anterior repair failed weeks later. I was at such a low place and it affected me totally.however I told myself it isn't life threatening and I'm otherwise it and healthy.. I've seen myself to the point where I am praying everyday and I don't go to church, but now more positive and have looked at the bigger picture.. I have found a wonderful new urogynacologist and I have put all my faith and trust in his expertise. Now each day I say thankyou and I feel it brings more positive energy and feeling to my being.. Please know all will be fine in the end.hugs😘😘

• Posted

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear your anterior repair has failed. If you don't mind me asking was it obvious it had failed? I have my check up on Tuesday but have had a few problems along the way with an infection etc. Although to be fair have felt generally well. I'm glad you've found a new urogynacologist though so fingers crossed for you. Well done for staying so positive xx

• Posted

Hi Anita,

Yes love it was obvious when I took a mirror to look. I could see the front wall looked lower than day after surgery and it got worse over the month. By this time I had a small bulge at the front and got 3uti infections.I've never had them before the repair. I also felt like I had a tampon stuck in my vagina. I was devastated as I pair nearly £4,000 for it. What upset me was I went back 5times to be told all is fine,that was it for me then as I knew the first week it felt wrong.. I went for a second opinion back home in wales and thank god I did. He diagnosed it within minute's. I have madeva formal complaint now as it should of been diagnosed instead of covering up!! I hgave to be positive as I was so low it was affected my health and how I felt about myself.cried every day, but now its noit so often🙏🙏🙏 😘😘

• Posted

Oh no, I can't imagine how depressing this must be making you feel.  Welshgirl is right about finding things to fill your day, distraction is a powerful tool when we aren't in control of something.  I have all my fingers and toes crossed that this will work for me (but have a small part of me ready to accept that it could go wrong).

i hope you get some good news soon 😘

• Posted

That's terrible, how devastating for you especially as you were lied to. Thank goodness it got diagnosed by someone else, you know your own body. My repairs have been checked several times due to my stitches etc but everything still feels so swollen

• Posted

Thank you so much welshgirl67. I hope you are feeling better. It is terrifying, isn't it, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Yes love it is.. This surgery has been the most emotionally draining experience I have ever gone through.. I know there ate failings but I'm still scratching my head as to why me. I did nothing foir 8weeks so I must be just unlucky. On a more. Positive note , I am blessed to have found my new urogynacologist in wales where I'm from originally. Although he stressed to me tgast these ops can fail, iihave all faith he will do as better job.. His nurse who works alongside him in theatre told me he is the man to do it? I hope you dfoing well hunx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.