Granuloma Annulare for over 10 years...

Posted , 15 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Granuloma Annulare over 10 years ago (I am 28 now). I still remember the first time I noticed the first lesion on my inner right ankle...it was extremely inflammed, tripled in size within weeks, and that was the last summer that I wore shorts. 

I feel like this rare disorder is taking over my life. I have tried steroid creams, steroid injections into the lesions, liquid nitrogen, and have even had a CO2 laser treatment on the lesions. The injections, liquid nitrogen and laser treatment seemed to help (after an initial blue brusing and concave appearance, which lasted for a month--at least--during the healing process), but the lesions always eventually came back. 

I recently have noticed a new lesion on my right elbow. It too has tripled in size within the past month, and I am starting to feel depressed. I have already given up shorts, skirts and dresses...I don't want to give up short sleeve shirts too. 

Can anyone give me advice on treatments they have tried, or their experiences? I have also had blood tests to rule-out diabetes and hyperlipidemia. I am 5'6", 130 lbs, never drink soda and stick to a pretty healthy, red meat-free diet (my downfall is occasional pizza). I try to exercise at least 3/week. 

Thank you in advance,

Feeling hopeless.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! 

I've had GA for about 3 years now (coincidentally the same amount of time i've been taking contraceptives- there may be a link but i've still to explore this)

I've recently under taken PUVA therapy- basically tanning beds but strictly controlled and while on psoralen medication- and I can confirm that although the worst lesions are still there their appearance has improved significantly and they have faded. I don't know how long this will last- it might only last as long as my tan will but I would say its definitely worth a shot. Most of my marks are on my feet and shins. 

Good Luck! 

• Posted

I (by accident) saw improvement with tanning beds also. Although I do not tan bc I am fair skinned and the risk of cancer is not worth it to me over these lesions, I did too see improvement though! As far as oral contraceptives-- I was diagnosed with GA 4 years prior to taking contraceptives.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear! I completely understand how hopeless you must feel.

Mine also started on my right foot (I was 10yrs), it wasn't till a couple of years ago it started to spread (I am 28 now). I have a huge one on the back of my leg. and lots of little ones on both my legs. But I still do wear shorts and skirts. If someone askes I just say it a pigment disorder. So far, everyone accepts that and never ask about it again. Maybe you can say the same thing! wink

However, I haven't found a solution yet. Light therapy, accapuncture, chinese herbs and doctor recommended creams didn't help. And I tested negative on  diabetes.

Now I am trying an anti histamine diet. I just started 2 weeks ago, so it's too soon for results. But it's worth a shot!! smile

Good luck!

• Posted

Keep me updated on the anti histamine d diet... I've never heard of that but will research it. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hello Rachel, my granuloma started in 2014 and stayed soley on the sides of my middle section however now after doing mulitple UVB treatments it's moving onto my upper legs.  Can you update us on how your histamine diet has been going.  I'm not positive but I think you are onto something after researching how histamines can possibly trigger granuloma annulare.

• Posted

I have had GA for 3 years now and have found a complete cure with Plaquenil. Three months ago I stopped taking the Plaquenil to check if my symptoms would return and they are back! I just had the lesions on my arms injected with cortisone so I can wear short sleeves for the summer.

Question, how many of you ladies have breast implants? I have recently learned I have a leak in a breast implant so I am having the implants removed. I have found out that although my implants were filled with saline, the case is made of silicone. I am researching how the body breaks down and absorbs the toxins found in the silicone shell which contains traces of various metals and other toxins.

Let's figure out OUR OWN particular "trigger" putting our immune system into overdrive. We are individuals but in this together : )

• Posted

No breast implants here. I also try to avoid all prescription meds...I want to try a holistic approach. I feel that there has to be some sort of natural cure considering this began when I never had prescription meds to begin with.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for responding to my "breast implant survey" LOL! I am the opposite I take high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and estrogen.

One dermatologist I visited in the beginning told me there may be no "trigger" for GA it is a "disease" that I am simply suseptible to.

I have family with autoimmune disease so I guess I am suseptible to having my immune system go haywire. However, I think something has to happen to cause the structure of the collagen/elastin/molecular make up of our skin so that our immune systems don't recognize it anymore and begins to attack it.

What do you think?

• Posted

I agree that there has to be something causing the molecular change. I had diabetes come back negative and my cholesterol is always excellent. I am wondering if I have SLE (lupus)? I get the photosensitivity rash and also have Raynaud's in my hands and feet (both are also autoimmune disorders). I am always fatigued (I can function at night regardless of how little sleep I get, but mornings are so hard). My joints are always sore, especially in my fingers, knees and ankles. Going to request more bloodwork and stick to a strict diet and exercise for now. Just holing this never spreads to my face.

• Posted

Hello Lauralye, was your granuloma annulare widespread and how long did you take the Plaquenil?  Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi I took Plaquenil for a year, also, it takes 3 months to clear the rash completely.
    • Posted

I do have implants but I don't feel they are at all related.

• Posted

I have saline breast implants.  I have had them for 15 yrs.  my GA started about 4yrs ago and still spreading.  I thought it might be connected to my anxiety that started around the same time.  But it has always been in the back of my mind, that it might have something to do with the implants.

Please let me know if your GA gets better after the removal.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hello,

I developed GA after my breast implants 10 years ago and every doctor has said it will go away. Did your GA disappear when you had your implants removed?

• Posted

Hi,feel exactly same as you, had 3/4 years now,was thinking of trying anti histamine diet,but will wait to hear how Rachel got on with it?going on hols in 2 weeks time, I'm going to say pigment problem too,

i have used steroid creams  dermovate, ( very strong one use for only short time)made large circles on feet go red, but use little when at tiny spot stage, kept it from going bigger, Not the answer though still comes back?

also tried UVB treatment feet patches never changed, I sat out in sun one day with no sun cream on, and next day 7 new circles came out on my feet, totally confused as to what to try next?

good luck everyone hope it goes away for you and me!

• Posted

Hi, thank you. I have never formally tried an antihistamine diet, but was reading about it and I already (coincidentally) seem to be on an antihistamine/gluten free diet. Good luck to you. Hopefully we'll all find the answers we're looking for! I just got an order to have Thyroid, Glucose, Cholesterol and Lupus checked. Will let everyone know results if any answers link up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.