Graves and memory loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had Graves disease for many years and among the many symptoms i have memory loss, not just the brain fog that people talk about, i lose hours, days, weeks.... at a time, i can't remember going to my sons wedding! i drive along a road i've been along a thousand times but i don't recognise anything.... i was just wondering if any other Graves sufferers have experienced anything like this

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My father suffers same. Loss of short term memory is one of the increasingly becoming a problem for him over the course of the past few years, and changes in my medicine seem to make it worse. Here I am talking about daily chore like paying bills, checking account that requires extra efforts for him. I have seen my father talking and asking me suddenly where I am, since how long we live here kind of questions. But he soon returns to normal after that every time. This is really distressing to see him like that.  We have taken him to neurologist and all the reports are clear. We have booked an appointment for endocrinologist again at this month end. I read lowering TSH brings an improvement. However, it may take many months.
    • Posted

my mom have the same problem, she forgot how to write and how to read the clock, she even cant concentrate a lot,its about 2 years ago and we have just took her to an endocrinologist and we realize hyperthyroidism, i wanna ask you what medication your father took and did he return back his memory ??? thanks for helping 
  • Posted

I tend to have brain fog moments quite often. I didn't think it had anything to do with graves. I guess I should tell my doctor. I find that after some mild exercise I feel almost no fogginess. I ask myself " Did you drink enough water? Do you need to eat?" Then if I say yes, go for a brisk walk or a jog to get my blood pumping. I don't know how adrenaline interacts with fuzzy brain syndrome (just now made that up), but I wouldn't be surprised if exercise helps because it gets nutrients and oxygen to your brain while allowing you to work off excess adrenaline ( again just making stuff up ). All I know is when I focus on my breathing, exercise, eat right and hydrate along with getting enough sleep, it seems to help.
    • Posted

I meant to say if I don't need to eat and am hydrated then I try the exercise thing.
  • Posted

my mom have the same problem, she forgot how to write and how to read the clock, she even cant concentrate a lot,its about 2 years ago and we have just took her to an endocrinologist and we realize hyperthyroidism, i wanna ask you what medication you took and did you return your memory back ??? thanks for helping 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.