Great news that I want to share.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I joined the forum in January when I was first diagnosed with VA. Since then I have plodded on using the estogen cream as directed and although it helped some I still had some pain and burning on bad days. I am now taking Nortriptyline which is a antidepressant but is also used to treat pain especially nerve pain. After 4 days of taking 20mg the pain had gone which was unbelievable.

I thought I would share with other VA sufferers has it may be an option for you. Maybe you could suggest it to your doctor and give it a go and hope that it helps you as well.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is interesting uses for nortriptyline. I take it as a migraine preventative 40mg daily and my doc told me its an old anti anxiety med not antidepressant. I had been previously taking it so I couldn't say if it has helped my VA or not. Maybe it's not as bad as it would have been had I not been taking it.

• Posted

Jayneeliz, was your vaginal pain and buring only during sex? 
  • Posted

Thank you Jayneeliz, I appreciate any suggestions, and am willing to try anything in hopes I don't have to succumb to Estrogen treatment.  I don't like to take any medication unless absolutely necessary and proven to be safe or safer, especially when it has around 20-30 side effects, with one being rare but possible death.   As my sister and I know and sometimes laugh about it, but we are always the ones who get those "rare" side effects.

• Posted

Glad to hear its benefiting you, I've also been taking it at a lower dose with success. Its not cured the VA but helps with the uncomfortableness caused by it. As a side effect I get a better sleep also as im suvh a light sleeper it helps.

• Posted

Hi Jayneeliz,

Are you sure that you do not have vulvodynia? It cas cause very similar symptoms to VA. I was diagnosed with vulvodynia three years ago and, amongst other treatments, was put on Amytriptylene. The general consensus was that my vulvodynia was casued by hormonal fluctuations due to premenopause which caused repeated and persistent thrush which aggravated the nerves in the vulva area. Amytrip and Nortrip work in the same way on pain by damping down overactive nerves. In vulvodynia the nerves in the vulva area are over active and over sensitive so that they register touch as pain. The pain can be provoked (by touch) or constant and has a searing, burning sensation. Similar pain can be felt by women who have VA. But the pain with VA is not caused by overactive nerves (rather, dry, weak vaginal wall cells), although possibly the nerves could become involved too. These are complicated and overlapping conditions. I am still on amytrip, because I fear the return of pain if I come off it. I also now have VA but do not have any pain with it - could that be due to still being on amytrip?

• Posted

So, I guess what I am basically saying is Amitriptylene or Nortriptylene may help some people with VA if there is nerve involvement ... But you never know. Everything is worth a try to rid us of this pain. Everyone is different and has different symptoms; each individual needs to find what works for them and may need to try lots of different things before they find what So, I guess what I am basically saying is Amitriptylene or Nortriptylene may help some people with VA if there is nerve involvement ... But you never know. Everything is worth a try to rid us of this pain. Everyone is different and has different symptoms; each individual needs to find what works for them and may need to try lots of different things before they do.
    • Posted

I agree I had VA that progressed to nerve pain which is Vulvodynia. It's very delicate down there these days any material can cause pain. But with the Nortriptyline and Ovestin im taking its calmed everything down and I actually have days where I feel normal again :-)

• Posted

Thats what I was asking about does anyone get the vaginal pain i'm seeing GYN about mine Oct 3. Mine started after all those transvaginal and biospies. However I am NOT sexually active so is the ladies suffering from this only because of sex ?

• Posted

I'm assuming any Atrophy anywhere on the body would have nerve involvement....that's where the pain comes from. I guess everyone has different pain levels and sensitivities. Do I go to a neurologist? They will deal with the nerve problem. gynecologist? They look at estrogen level, UTI's, infections. Primary? He would probably send me for an MRI being this has been going on now for three months with creams that didn't work...several different diagnoses...I am now trying Coconut oil....not sure about the Vitamin E inserted. Is that pill form? Gel pill? Do these dissolve or do you remove them? Has anyone had this that was active at gym then suddenly had to stop exercising? I lost 35 lbs this summer and had 15 lbs left to go, now I've put back on 5 so far. Im afraid to exercise in fear of the extreme pain returning.

• Posted

I think it varies from person to person but mine was specifically at the front around the urethra and clitoral hood. Any rubbing from jeans or sex would cause stabbing pain in this area.
    • Posted

I was the same as in doing exercise losing nearly a stone but had to stop with all the friction of it rubbing. Cycling would be out of the question at that time I could hardly walk or sit comfortably. I tried vitamin E pessaries they were quite soothing but didn't cure anything in my case. I think they were called Carsons you just insert at night. OK for mild VA maybe.

• Posted

I can but not every day or for extended periods as the friction of the material still gets uncomfortable. I tend to exercise in my pyjamas as their softer material
    • Posted

Karen, Vit E gel capsule. Put it in overnight. Disolves with body heat. helps with healing.
    • Posted

According to how much soreness you have. I rarely use it, but some women are probably using it nightly. It might be better if you alternate with organic coconut oil. Put the coconut oil in the fridge so it solidifies and is easier to handle. It melts very quickly. The coconut oil is good as a lubricant if you are attempting to have sex.
    • Posted

Sorry to sound stupid, but how do you apply the coconut oil? I have a burning sensation deep within the vagina. I have a tub of it, not pessaries. Thank you!
    • Posted

Does the coconut oil give relief immediately? It gave me no change at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.