GREAT sleep, symptoms relieved slightly so far, but ANGER.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, new to the forum and read a few posts and thing it's a great site smile but I still haven't found the answers I want... a bit of background: I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years, having ups and downs, over and over again and its simply exhausting! I've had citalopram before but found it literally made no difference even up to 40mg. I struggle mostly with anxiety which can at times paralyse me, bringing me down into a depression where I have a history for substance abuse to smother the feelings I hate...

So anyway, the doctor a few days ago started me on mirtazepine 15mg and in a few weeks he wants me to move up to 30mg.  I've read a LOT of people struggle with the anger/irritation that comes with taking mirtazepine BUT I want to know, does it ever go!? Because i'm starting to feel some good effects, sleeping well, starting to be a bit more motivated to do things, but I cannot carry on with this anger... 

Does this go with tolerance?

Is there anything else I can take in combination to stop the anger? 

If not i'm going to have to stop for now as i'm snapping at everything just generally not being very nice.. 

thanks in advance

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm not an aggressive person at all however Mirtazapine made me very grumpy, irritable and angry.  I'm pleased to say that this calmed down quite quickly.

Mirt has been good for my sleep and anxiety so stick with it for now.

Gen x

• Posted

How long have you been on it? does the snappiness go?
    • Posted

Hi, been on it 5 months and yes irritability went after a few weeks.
  • Posted

HI

mirtrazapine is a sedative antidepressant - like Trasadone.  I'm on 45 mg and the only good thing I can say is that, unlike the other "Family" of antidepressants such as fluoxetine, it gives you a good night's sleep.  Immediately I waken, it's like a light bulb switched on and the anxiety and palpitations a start.  I am on2 x Proprananol which is a type of beta blocker to slow my heart rate and 3 x 2 mg Diazepam.  These works to a limited extent.  The psychiatric nurse says to go for a walk, keep busy and eat little and often (as I have constant nausea).  She hasn't a clue and is a complete waste of time.  The statins have affectedthe muscles in my legs and I have to use a stick.  I find that by about 6 pm, I feel normal and so tend to go to be late and the. The following morning, it all starts up again.  The other thing about Mirtazapine is weight gain.  I didn't eat any more but put on 2 stones in weight in 4 months.

hope you see some improvement.

best wishes

Nessie

• Posted

Hi Nessie, do you take another AD in addition to the mirt?

The mirt hadn't helped my depression at all so I also take venlafaxine.  I have ok and bad days.

x

• Posted

Haha, yeah i've noticed my eating has gone crazy!! but I know I can control that this week by pre-making all my food AND YES I have the motivation to do this after being on mirtazepine biggrin 

I wish my doctor would prescribe me diazepam but he knows I am very likely to abuse it, which to be fair, at this stage I wouldn't, but I would become dependent and not cope without im sure, then end up buying them illegally blah blah. you know the drill. 

How does the Propranol help? does it stop the tight chest? I constantly have a tight chest and its horrible sad 

• Posted

Hi Nessie

Have just found this site and reading through all the comments...... Where to start !!!!!! ....I am completely in the same boat as you down to a t ...... exactly same dosage and other medications. Probably on all this for a good three months now after running down sertraline for ages and starting this one (was having massive sweats on sertraline)

I too have all these symptoms in the mornings then feel much better towards the evening.But sleeping is a doddle on these. Reading about the weight gain is scaring me to death as already need to battle weight issues without the pleasure of these !!!!

Really do feel for you as i know exactly what you are going through....... you are not alone.

big hugs

Sarah

• Posted

Hi all

Yes, the anger does go away.......takes a few weeks though, maybe as many as eight weeks (in my case) just warn everyone to keep their diatnce, especially in the mornings!

Just ahng in there )- there are no magic solutions, but mirtazapine really does work if you give it time.....

• Posted

Thanks smile What dosage are you on? and did it work for anxiety or depression or both? 
  • Posted

Hi,Samir,I started on 45mg of Mirt, about 7yrs ago,I've come off it a couple of times no problem. Strangely enough I was put on it for IBS,about 8months ago I decided to slowly come off it again,not because it caused me any problem,just the fact I'm on lots of meds for other problems. Well I got down to 15mg no problem apart from my tum pain got a bit worse,now I've been trying to come off the 15mg since before Christmas .But I can tell you my temper is terrible, my poor husband thinks he's married to a different woman (well he can wish lol ) so I've found the reverse my anger has come since coming off them.  Also my GP took my Diazapam off me until I told him if he didn't allow me to have them he would have a murder on his hands. Take care and you may be better if he increases the dose,but I've heard with Mirt the lower the dose the more sedated they become.
    • Posted

Interesting you're on it for IBS! What do you use for anxiety and depression now? Did the temper ever go for you? and that's crazy about your diazepam! don't you worry about physical dependency? 
    • Posted

No Samir,Not interesting,I'd say stupid.I think the psychiatrist thought I was depressed but I was only depressed with the pain in my Tum. I do suffer with anxiety and the Diazapam help with that,as for dependant I don't really care as I only take it when I need it,and if I feel better so be it.  At the end of March Im Haveing Hypnotherapy for my IBS and the Diazapam is part of the healing.  My temper at the moment due to still taking Mirt at 7.5 has gone a little better,but it still don't take much to set me off.  By the way I never had a temper before the Mirt,I could usually sort things out in a calm manner.         Take care and if you've got children I would ask your GP for something else.
  • Posted

Hi Samlr

Well I started on 15 mgs, which didnt seem to work enough, and after a month moved up to 30 mgs where I stayed for a year. The first 8 weeks were hell and I wanted to give up. Luckily I had taken it before so I knew it would work.....eventually!

Yes, anger in the mornings, usually about nothing whatsoever, but that does wear off after a few weeks. I too asked for diazepam but the doc was rigghtly reluctant to give me any, knowing of the dependency risk. Its just all that brain stimulation from during your sleep, I guess it isnt only serotonin that is produced.

Have faith, its a 'good' drug.

Now Im trying to come off it and have reduced down to 15mgs every other day. Feel fine and am going to try very hard never to need it again.

• Posted

Hi

yes it does go.  In my case I need 2 x Propanolol to try keep me calm during the day.

best wishes

nessie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.