Groin Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had both my ovaries and tubes out just over 8 weeks ago due to a dermoid cyst.I am still experiencing pain from the right side, groin and pubic area which goes down to my knee. Both were removed because I am 54 and as the surgeon said " they have little use now".

What I was wondering is, is it usual to have so much pain at this late stage, it seems worse now than when I had it done. I have been back to the GP and she did blood and dipped my urine and these were all fine. She has ordered a scan but I have been waitng what seems like ages. I have a feeling it's going to be down to scar tissue, has anyone else had these problems. I told work 6 weeks and now had nearly 9 0ff!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, Sorry but I have no advice as i'm waiting to see the gyno feb 24th and hopefully going on the waiting list to get my dermoid removed.

?Can I ask how long you waited to get it out?

?What was it like after surgery? Obvs yours is different to mine as you have had both ovaries removed, my gyno said he may have to remove the one but to wait and see what the mri showed which is the next appoint to discuss.

Any advise??

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi, To actually get them removed was roughly 8-9 months. I went in once and me and my husband waited all day and was told at 4.30 that it was cancelled due to no beds. Although annoyed at the time I have now seen a tv programme that shows how under pressure they are!

I had to have the full cut, which actually wasn't as big as I thought it would be, quite neat really. I went down about 2.15pm. I don't remember being on the recovery ward at all, The nurses woke me up on the ward to say I was ok and to do checks. Slept most of the night, just couldn't stay awake! I had a cathertar which was ok, as I was worried about that. I did feel quite sore especially trying to move, but they do promote trying to do things asap. I stayed in two nights and in away could have done with another night! I did feel quite tired and sore over the next few days but gradually could do more each day. My advice to you would be rest as much as you can as with me it was just before christmas and over the first couple of weeks did far too much. I do wonder if that is what is wrong now? I had no follow up with any dr's, which I thought was odd, seeing as it is fairly major surgery. I have been back to the GP though, as i thought by now I would have been ok and returned to work!

Being 54, I have gone through most of the menopause, say most as I was still getting the odd hot flush. I have to say I have had far more flushes since, so what I had read about bringing the menopause on must be right! It is hard to know what else to say , so if you have any specific questions you want answered let me know.

Sharon x

• Posted

Hi, I think it's probably the inside bits healing. It takes a while for inside wounds and you have been cut through muscle and other tissues to remove the ovaries and cyst. I was told 4-6 weeks but it took much longer before I was feeling almost normal. I still get strange pain/sensations after 10 months especially if I've been on my feet a lot. So, yes new scar tissue and you still need rest if you have pain. Best wishes. x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna,

Did your pain get worse though, especially around the groin and leg?

My work are hassling me about when I am going back as they need to organise cover. I also am tring to cope on stat sick pay. I think it could be scar tissue. In away I wish that I hadn't had the op as the cyst was found by pure chance when I had a back scan and not because I was in any pain with it.

• Posted

There have been times when it felt worse, usually when I've overdone things! You probably need to rest more and forget about work until you feel much better. I'm sure your GP will give you another sick note if you need one. It might not have been a big cut/scar but inside is where you're healing now and it takes much longer. Also being plunged straight into menopause, faster than normal, even if you were about halfway through it has made you feel like this. Instant loss of all the hormones your body is used to! Have you been given any hormone therapy? You could ask about it as lots of women use it. I had it for 10 years or so. Hope you soon feel better. x smile

• Posted

Thank you Pollyanna, You are probably right , I do tend to get on with things as normal and have not rested enough.

The GP has signed me off for the rest of the month, so hopefully by then I will feel better. I have got a scan as well for the 27th Feb. Might also look into hormone thereapy. 

Thanks for replying, take care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.