Guillain-Barre Syndrome linked to Anxiety and ADD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome about 5 months ago. I was in the hospital/rehabiliation for a little while. I was discharged December 31st, 2015, just about four months ago. Luckily, I am almost fully recovered. I suffer from constant fatigue and minor leg pain, but it's manageable and I was able to return to my regular, everday life (18 years old, working full time, college freshman). However, in these past four months I have suffered from severe panic attacks and constant anxiety. I have also had more trouble this past semester staying focused on anything. This has left me being extremely stressed, which I know is not good for the syndrome. Is there a possibility that Guillain-Barre Syndrome is linked or can cause Anxiety and/or ADD? I've tried researching it but had no luck. If anyone is able to help me answer this question, or is going through something similar, please share! Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, I am not very good at these issues, but I believe  in listening to your body. If you are having panic attacks it doesn't mater what they are connected to they are panic attacks and you must try to help yourself to deal with them.

I have PD and there is no treatment for PD...The treatment is for the symptoms and I do not like the idea of stopping the symptoms and letting the illness progress without any knowledge of

where they are at. If you are getting symptoms of something they will not go away untill the cause is treated but ...do not shoot the messenger...deal  with the symptoms but listen to them they have a message to tell you...

• Posted

I have also been searching the internet trying to find someone who has suffered a history of anxiety and panic attacks after Guillain-Barre Syndrome. My daughter suffered GBS when she was age 3 and thankfully made a full recovery except she always suffered high anxiety and panic attacks after. Shes age 18 now and has had a lot of counselling to help her control her anxieties. She was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 6 because of her anxieties but I dont feel she suffers any other characteristics of Aspergers so I would like to know if other GBS survivors have the same experience and if so have they got a different diagnosis.

My research on GBS has shown that some patients are affected by changes in the function of the autonomic nervous system.

The autonomic nervous system is a control system that unconsciously regulates bodily functions such as the heart rate, digestion, respiratory rate, eye pupil response and urination.

This system is the primary mechanism in control of the flight-or fright response.  The fight-or-flight response, also known as the acute stress response, refers to a physiological reaction that occurs in the presence of  something that is terrifying, either mentally or physically.

The above all sounds very much like my daughters on going anxiety problem long after recoverying from Guillain-Barre Syndrome. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.