Had 2nd TNR now back ache

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 7 weeks post op on my right TNR and having problems with right side of my back where I splipped a disc a few years ago, its just constant ache.  I never had this problem when I had my left knee done.  I am taking meds which does ease it a bit.   Overall my recover of both my knees are good and can't wait to get back to normal, e.g walking a large strong Golden Retriever.

By the way I have thoroughly enjoyed and gained a lot of knowledge and help on this website since the beginning of the year.

Seeing my consultant next week so any advice or help would be helpful.

Regards

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

One thing my therapist taught me that might help. Lay flat on your back. Raise legs so your feet are flat on the bed. Hook your bad knee over the good leg around the area of the quads. Keepi g your back flat gently roll your body to the side of the good leg. Start holding to count of 10 and repeat 3 times. As things loosen increase the count till you get to 20 then increase reps to 5 or 6. You will slowly feel the back and hip loosen. You can massage or apply heat before you start of desired. I have a tens unit I put on for 30 mins afterwards. This is a good way to relax for awhile as well
  • Posted

Oldfatguy1.  Thank for that I shall give it a try.  By the way I don't know what a tens unit.

Patricia

• Posted

Sorry, a tens unit is a muscle stimulation piece of equipment. They have pads with electrodes that are place on the skin and connected to the unit which send low voltage stimulation to relax the soft tissue. Mine has 10 different settings depending on what part of the body you are treating. It treats with a pulsating rythum and normally rind in 30 minute cycles. It has a control so that you can determine how deep you want the current to penetrate. Some parts of the body a setting of 15 is good other parts 25 to 30.
    • Posted

Where did you buy your tens unit?  That is something that I would like to get to help me. When they use it at therapy it feels so good on my leg and seems to help some with the swelling.

• Posted

I'm in the US and Medicare paid for mine at the request of my therapist. I see them on Amazon and eBay. I would stay away from the low end stuff as they really don't have much power and quit working rather quickly so I've been told.
  • Posted

could be that your favouring the other leg and your back is telling you !!  walking the dog could be some while off if you have to have it on a lead ,after my tkr revision i was looking forward to walking my dog (a border terrier) he is not very big but boy can he pull at the start of the walk  i now walk him no problem and id say it took me 7mths to be able to walk him on the lead because i felt before that my knee was twisting abit with the pull which was very sore .however i did go on walks with hubby and the dog we drove to a country spot and left him off the lead so that way i got a small walk  while hubby and the dog went further but gradualy i got stronger and walked more with them and it was great to be part of it again id say dont go walking with him/her on the lead till you are sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.