Had blood test these are the results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Serum ferritin level 52 ug/L [15.0 - 150.0]

Serum vitamin B12 level < 100 ng/L [197.0 - 771.0]

Outside reference range

Serum folate level 1.5 ug/L [3.89 - 26.8]

Outside reference range

Been advised that I am seriuosly B12 Deficiaent and need jabss but thats all???

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, your levels are very low, and you should be given six (loading doses) of B12 injections over two weeks. Then usually you will have another blood test four weeks after your last injection to see how well your body is retaining the B12 you've been given. You will need folate to be supplemented too, as your body needs this to process the B12. 

Do you have a restricted diet at all? Vegetarian, vegan, or lack of vegetables ( especially green veg) broccoli, kale, etc...? We usually get our B12 from meat & fish, but the folate is from green vegetables.

Having low B12 can be very harmful, as long term damage to the myelin sheath that coats our nerves can occur. This can lead to numbness, pins and needles, problems with balance and walking, and have an effect on our though processes too.

Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for more information, and a full symptom list. If you have neurological symptoms your doctor should continue with your injections on an every other day basis until those symptoms improve. Otherwise they move to an eight weekly or twelve weekly injection.

Hope you will feel better after your injections begin? 

Best wishes 

Marion 

• Posted

Thankyou... I have never eaten meat fish or eggs just don't like the taste or texture. And very little milk/you harts. I had been having lots of little symptoms for a while but they kept putting it down to stress.. my husband has been diagnosed with a terminal debilitating illness and I nursed my dad till he died last year, but the main symptoms was burning feet and really dry mouth/lips and loss of taste!! Start injections on Monday but have started eating fortified cereals, milk and egg yolks. Also having vitamin b drops every morning

• Posted

Advice given from personal experience - The surgery will most likely give b12 injection every other day for a week and then one every 3 months.

The difference in energy is amazing but when overdue injection I tend to get extremely tired and what feels like symptoms of depression.

My nan and Mam both suffer with this too

Hope all goes well

Sarah

X

• Posted

Hopefully your B12 and Folate deficiencies are simply due to poor diet and the stress you are going through. You must try to keep the two in balance as B12 and Folate work together which is why a diet of "meat and two veg" is so ideal

I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.