Had bunion surgery September 19, 2016

Posted , 5 users are following.

I will first say I usually bounce back after surgery, but this one has been tough. I am 49 and worked out 3 days a week and am in good shape.  I thought I would be able to handle it much better than I have, I am at 4 weeks today (left foot) and still am not able to function fully (I have been told to wait 6 weeks before normal activity). Dr. stated I could try shoes at the FULL 4 week mark, but now that I am at the stage I quickly realize there is no way I will be able to move into a tennis show.  My foot swells after just a few minutes of standing up, the pain becomes unbearable. I am still working from bed with my feet propped up on pillows.  If I go outside of the house I have to use the store scooter and prop my foot up on the front basket.  I am now experiencing intermittent burning and sharp pains. 

?One thing I would like to share at 3 weeks I all of a sudden felt as though the pain was getting worse, the burning sensation and throbbing was awful.  I became so agitated one night after once again not being able to sleep that I just took everything off the bandages, boot everything.  Then suddenly the pain stopped I realized I had bandaged my foot too tight, I felt like an idiot, and am embarrassed to even write this, but if it helps someone else it is worth it.  The pain and throbbing was so bad the meds were not working.  I loosened the bandage and put the boot on and was actually able to sleep.

?I will keep you posted, but I will admit the first two weeks are the hardest, the staying stationary doesn't help especially is you are extrememly active as I was prior to the surgery.  But I am staying positive and keep thinking this is only temporary.  I do have a bunion on my right foot, but at 4 weeks post op I am thinking that I will just live with it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi what your experiencing is absolutely normal.. Im 9 weeks PO and had pain all night.. as of shoes I just started to fit in to my running shoes and 1 pair of of My winter boots.. walking still with a limp... but starting to move my toes a little more.. I guess we're just a slow healer.. but it is getting better week by week.. just give it time to heal..

• Posted

Thanks Maria this is definitely a slow process. What brand of shoes and boots worked for you? I read somewhere the UGG brand boots were good (probably from UGG themselves ha ha just kidding!).
  • Posted

I had a bunion surgery 9 years ago and then this year i hade a Gt toe fusion on the same foot. Patience and more patience is the order of the day and it improves week by week. I had my surgery in June so was able to wear sandles with Velcro fasteners after six weeks, then  in recent weeks ive been able to wear shoes that i wore previously and trainers. My foot still becomes swollen but i feel the more mobile i am the less it is swollen however im only speaking for me! As they say "time is a great healer" please listen to your foot! 

• Posted

Thanks Patricia, I am not the most patient person, but am learning to be from this venture. You are right listening to your body is the key and boy it will talk to you if you over do it, ugh!
  • Posted

Surgeons don't manage expectations well for this op. I'm 48 and had bilateral scarf and akin with tendon release 4 months ago, I'm having physio to help me achieve a level of normality. The recovery period is a full year, I can't wear any of my pre-op shoes yet as I have swelling still, I'm back to doing most of the things I used to do but get tired quickly and am also dealing with hip and back issues caused by years of walking wonky to protect my bunions. There's a wonderful support group on facebook called I survived a bunionectomy, lots of helpful advice and shared experiences. Good luck and be gentle with yourself.

• Posted

Thank you and I agree the dr prep could be improved greatly. Wow, I was hoping to be a lot further with improvement by 4 months especially with the swelling, darn!

Thank you for the input hope your hips and back get better!

• Posted

Hi

?I agee with others who have said that your surgeon has not managed your expectations well.  My surgeon was excellent and I knew fully what to expect and that hepls!  I think it would be impossible for most people to get into their normal size shoe after 4 weeks as the swelling is still pretty bad.  I am a women's size six and I was in size 9 mens crocs at 6 weeks (I do have wide feet thought even without bunins).  The other problem is that if you dont elevate your foot enough it is going to be much, much more painful as it will swell up a lot.  Trying to do too much too soon is going to hamper your recovery.  At six weeks I could walk on crutches for say half an hour, but this would cause swelling and I needed to elevate them after to relieve this. Standing in the kitchen cooking would also cause my feet to swell.  I went back to work at 8 weeks and with a desk job I was lucky and could use a stool to elevate my feet.  if I didnt elevate them during work, they would swell and my size 9 crocs would get tight.  With plenty of elevation the swelling does get better all the time, but at a year after the operation, my feet were not 100% back to the no swelling size.  According to my surgeon this is normal and he warned me this would be the case.

• Posted

Hello Debi, thank you for the input it makes me feel better. I just kept thinking am I the only one taking so long to recover it's quite frustrating especially when you go from a lifestyle of rush, rush, to nothing! I keep (4 weeks and 5 days) feeling sharp pains just short ones takes my breath away. I swell super fast I literally can put my foot down and watch it turn red and as soon as I elevate I watch it turn back to its norm. How long does this occur? I would be interested in how long until you reach some normalcy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.