Had Greenlight surgery 5 weeks ago. Very good for a while, now relapsing to original condition.Anyon

Posted , 10 users are following.

After a year of cathing, had GL laser sugery 5 weeks ago. After 4 weeks of blood in urine, it stopped, flow became great and now a week later I have frequent urges but weak stream, pain, infection and for the 1st time last night had to get up. Retention is occuring. Three weak voids in an hour. Taking oxybutynin for a week, no change. Feels like the crisis that put all this in motion 12 months ago. PVP patients, please advise.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

• Posted

I had Green Laser procedure in March and had an accute retention event two days later that took me to the ER/ED to have Foley put back in.  If it's sore in the perineum area, that swelling is constricting on the uretha.  Seems to be common with GL procedure.  If you have caths on hand, I assume you Doc will be fine with your self cathing as needed.

• Posted

Thanks, Glen. I'm not sure that my doc would be OK with a self cath - if the tissues have not fully recovered, sticking something in there might be risky. In addition I still have an infection, and I'm not clear what part that is playing in the problem and what effect, if any, cathing might have. Retention: I know about how much I normally void - tomorrow I'm going to count every single cc over the 15+ voids I expect and see what it all amounts to.*Two days ago had a sonogram; showed 290 cc before void and 85 after. That seemed kind of OK, but not sustainable. I live on the Big Island Hawaii and have to fly to Oahu for treatment - tho a hospital here could put in a Foley. I'd hoped to have seen the last of that. I'm going to resume Flomax and heavy hydration.

• Posted

Fascinating......but not in a good way. I feel for you.

No doubt nobody warned you of the possibility before-hand?

Reminds me of when I had a simple cystoscopic investigation six months after having a heart stent. I was still on Clopidogrel at the time. Nobody asked nor warned that if you bled, it would not stop for days......Almost all cystoscope exams have some amount of bleeding. I certainly learned how obtuse the NHS can be. This was 5 years ago, and I notice that today, the patient guide preceding a cystoscopy or colonoscopy or indeed anything that might cause internal bleeding are full of dire warnings about stopping at least a fortnight before any blood thinners, anti-platelet meds, even aspirin.....

• Posted

Hi John,

My Uro says Geen Light is not good since it sprays laser energy in a broad area that is difficult to precisely position. Contact Resolve laser is more focused and requires touching the area.

I am going into surgery in two weeks with contact resolv method, and the  Uro tells all nice things so far. Will see after it goes.

• Posted

I suspect my GL procedure 6 months ago is the reason for my  high level incontinence still today.
    • Posted

On my first visit after GL, my doctor came in and remarked that he thought the GL might had been too powerful for me, and that he had thought about saying "no" to my request to use GL for the procedure, rather than traditional cutting to open a channel through the median lobe.  (I told him that I would have been OK with "no."wink   Later, I asked it there had been any injury to the external and bladder mouth sphincters, and he said there hadn't.

• Posted

John so sorry that it did not work  Maybe you shoud have done moe looking and got mor information  Ken
    • Posted

Problem identified: prostate swollen by infection. Back to self-cath until swelling has subsided. Feeling positive again.

Thanks

• Posted

Well, feeling negative again! Half-way through a 10 day course of levofloxacin (a very scary med, I've learned - and I am prone to tendon problems) - results so far good in regard to urgency problems, cathing almost nothing during the day and before bed, but then 300-400 cc in morning - even after two voidings (150-200 cc total). Cathing very painful. Some clots, which in my imagination are perhaps scabs being worn off, as my systerm clearly isn't as fond of cathing as it used to be. Temporary pain level 9.

Assuming that the UTI is swelling something in there - what happens to a UTI that can't be killed? Apparently, even series of PVPs and Turps do not always fix the problem. I guess in that case you live with cathing? I'm trying to run this out, to prepare for my urinary future. Even though I can sleep through, perhaps I need to be getting up once or twice in the night to void if I can. Actually, this sounds a lot like most older men (I'm 70). I'll stop with that happy thought. Thanks for all the suggestions, empathy - keep the coming. John

• Posted

John,  I had Greenlight Laser 12 years ago.  It helped somewhat, but I still had to take medication to help  with the flow.  Eventually, the retention came back, maybe two years after the surgery, and so I went and did a turp.  The turp, was better for my flow...eventually even that wasn't working and so I did a secong turp, which is where I am today.  My retention, is not good and so I am now self-cathing.  Self-cathing, really helps with my being able to enpty the bladder!

• Posted

For some, the prostate, keeps on growing. I am one of the unfortunate ones. 
    • Posted

Sorry for  your problem.  I must be one of the lucky ones.  I had a urolift done april 2015 Had 4 implants.  My prostate got smaller.  Had to have the implants tighting My urologist things it was the cispro 1000g for a month Had a prostate infection cause by one of the implant getting loose Take care  Ken
    • Posted

You will think that when you have something done it's suppose to help you not keep on having procedures years after years.   I am sorry for you.  I will put you on my prayer list...Things have to change  Ken 

• Posted

Dennis - I see my surgeon tomorrow.

About a week ago, the regular voiding (that had worked somewhat) got plugged - had 800 taken out. Kept self-cathing w.a lot of pain. Had my 3rd foley put in, and within 3 days it got plugged again - blood clot - so my doctor pulled it. My decision. Stream good for one day;  then the same old story. I drank tons of water today to see if my bladder/pvp'd prostate could handle it. The answer seems to be no; slipping back in retention again. Yet I've heard very little about turp success - is there significant success and it just doesn't get written about?

I think my uro tomorrow might put my fourth foley in. I don't know whether to go for a turp, or give up and just self-cath - though it is painful (no infection tho). I wish you well.

• Posted

What do you mean when you say painful?  Do you mean, you are doing something to cause the pain, or is it a blockage that is giving you resistance and that forcing the catheter through the prostate, is giving you pain?  When I self-cath, I go really slow.  As soon as I feel any kind of discomfort, I stop and proceed slowly.  I think it was yesterday, when I was in a bit of a rush, and so I tried to speed up the self-cathing, just a little.  Just a little, was not a good idea.  I started to bleed, a little.  It didn't last long, but I've never bled previous to this.  For me, going very slow, is the best for a painless, self-cathing.  It is also my belief, that we have cell and muscle memory, and that if we irritate the prostate too much, it will not let the catheter, in with ease.  It will remember the irritation the catheter causes, and will in turn be difficult for letting the catheter, pass through the prostate.  I'm not saying that is has a mind of its own, I'm just saying that it will respond accordingly. 

• Posted

Dennis - The principal pain is when, I believe, the catheter passes through the prostate. I tend to go quickly - so if more self-cath is in my future, I'll proceed more slowly. *I had no cathing pain before Greenlight.

I intentionaly drank a lot of water today - to see if there were any clear signs of recovery (stronger bladder, etc) Did not work out very well. Voided many times, reached the dribbling phase and finally, because it was so uncomfortable, I cathed out over 1000 cc. I'm afraid the bladder might be stretched significantly.

I'm nearly 70 - your age, if you don't mind?

I think your muscle memory idea may be true. Anyway, thanks for your response, and I'll have more to say after tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest.

• Posted

John,

After my Green Laser surgery in March, I had lots of pain, an acute retention event, Foley put back in.  About six/seven weeks after GL TURP, the doctor did a cystoscopy again, and found a lot of hanging debris and necrosis, so he did a second procedure called Gyrus TURP that uses a cauterizaing loop to cut and release the hanging debris.  I turned to watch the cystoscopy, and it looked like the camera was going though a mass of tree roots.  He also cut out a piece of prostate that looked like a white bump in the bottom of the channel he had cut through the median lobe. (He gave me four color photos taken during the Gyrus TURP.)

.  I wonder if you have something similar going on that's causing your blockage.  In my case, the second procedure (Gyrus TURP) got rid of the swelling, but I'm still highly incontinent, staying wet 24 hours per day.

I've come to think the GL TURP procedure is a risky one.  I will keep you in my thoughts and say a prayer for you.

• Posted

John,  I'm right behind you, 68 this year!  Time,is flying by, and it's great to be alive, but it would be even better, if we all had normal prostates and bladders.  I remember when I was around 18 years old, I was teaching my friend how to drive. I was standing in the front of the car, and was guiding my friend towards me. She did not step on the brakes, and the car kept on going till it pinned me against the garage wall and the car's bumper.  I went to the doctor, to have a check-up, because my mid-section was hurting so bad.  I keep wondering if my bladder, was injured at that time, and now I'm paying for it?  Take care, and I hope we all will improve our flow!

• Posted

I just realized that there is the capability to upload images and thought I'd try it.  Here's an image in my prostate after the Green Laser and during the followup Gyrus TURP.  The bright loop is the cutting element that heats/cuts and cauterizes.

• Posted

And since that works (click/double click on image), here are pictures at the end of the Gyrus procedure.  Note the lump of white prostate that was missed during GL and removed here.
    • Posted

Back from visit w. my urologist. He now believes that the problem is a lazy if not "dying" bladder, and is scheduling an exam with someone who can determine that. Apparently the science is relatively new, and the list of treatments brief. This means another flight to Honolulu. It's possible that I'm facing many (I hope!) years of self-cathing. It's not the worst thing in the world.

• Posted

It's really bad when you have one procedure and it does not work and you end up having another  That's the pit's   Ken

• Posted

Yes I did see it but they really do a number on the prostate  I feel sorry for you buddy  Ken
    • Posted

John,  your uro is located in Honolulu?  That's the island that I live on.  Who is your uro?  

• Posted

Big Island. That's crazy.

Jason Smotherman, Aloha Urology - Queens

• Posted

So you live on the Big Island?  What part?  My wife, and I live in Kaneohe.  Been really wet for the last few months!  My mom's family comes  from Kapaau.  Kohala, really beautiful place as you may know.

• Posted

I live in Waimea. Yeah, Kohala is nice too.

Interesting development: My bladder is teasing me w. normal behavior. Total cath yesterday, 100cc. Today, 200.

Too tired to write more now. Will later.

Thanks for writing

• Posted

Waimea, so cool!  Feels like airconditioning.  My mom, used to tell me when she was a kid growin up in Kohala, that they could tell the kids that were from Waimea, because at school, they were the ones with the rosey cheeks.  Between cathing, this morning, it was a pretty good stream, going natural.  This is day, 27 of self-cathing.  It could be that I did doxazosin, 1/2 dose yesterday and the day before. I've been trying to stop taking my medication, but I am pretty sure it helps me with my flow. 

• Posted

Has anyone experienced this:

Eight days ago my uro gave a kind of requiem for my bladder. Only bad news; a dying bladder. Yet: the very next day, voiding increased in volume and intensity. Over the next three days, total daily cath amounts went down from 100, to 50, to trace. Nothing. I've stopped cathing altogether, strong stream. It hasn't felt this good in three years. A bit of urgency to be watched out for, but suddenly I'm living a normal urological life. I'm very happy though confused about what has happened.

• Posted

John Don't let him talk you into anything.  Your doing good so leave it alone  Ken

• Posted

I did it once, and had to go to the emergency room, because I couldn't urinate.  I never did it again!  I think it was 

Sudafed?

• Posted

John,good for you!  I hope to get that way with my self-cathing too.  It feels great to have an empty bladder, even if I have to self-cath. I notice that I have been improving in urinating, without the catheter as well.  it keeps getting better almost daily!
    • Posted

A "requiem" is a musical composition intended for funerals.  The original post referred to a "dead or dying bladder" so that's the connection.

Let me recommend a beautiful requiem.  Go to youtube, and google [requiem for the living bel canto].   I heard a performance of this live and it was wonderful, something to calm our bladder and prostate woes.

• Posted

Hi John,

Sorry I got to this late. But "yes" I experienced something similar. My doc also gave me a requiem for my bladder. Told me I would never be able to empty it again without an operation (He did TURP) or without self cathing. Fast forward a few years later and I'm emptying just fine. I never had an operation so I owe my bladder rehabilitation to self cathing which I only have to do every once in awhile. Sometimes better to listen to your logic, instinct and body as opposed to your urologist. They all tend to come to the same conclusion and that is you need an operation!

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.