Had my hysterectomy yesterday😃 feel great

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everybody.

I just wanted to say I had a total hysterectomy yesterday afternoon. I am 47 and my fibroid was the equivalent of a 22 week pregnancy. It made me feel pretty miserable and I bled pretty heavily 24 days a month. Because of it's size and position I had to have a vertical incision. I'll be perfectly honest and admit I was terrified.I am overweight and was terrified something would go wrong because of my weight. Doctors were totally honest with me and advised me to try and lose some which i did.

My op took about 2 hours and I lost some blood which is normal.

I won't lie, I had a lot of pain when I came round, but I totally under control.

I was feeling better than I thought when I came round. Was back on the ward by 5.40. The nurses and care assistants are brilliant here at the QE in Gateshead.Doctor aren't too bad either. I have my own room and this morning I was up walking around, having a shower and I feel great. Still have a catheter but that's not so bad. What I want to say is that we all worry about our treatments and i know a lot of you don't want major surgery for lots of good reasons. But if it is necessary you can all get through it. And less than 24 after surgery, I was walking around and I feel pretty good.

Please all take care of yourselves xxx

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Lesey for sharing. Glad you feel much better. 
  • Posted

Well done Lesley so glad it went well. It's a very scary prospect, I would have to pay for mine here in Spain and am worried if there were complications it would cost a fortune.

• Posted

hope you are fully recovered soon.  All best wishes.  Anne.
  • Posted

Lesley. 

glad you feel ok today. Please do take it easy when you go home though. The soreness really hits on day 3 so be prepared with meds in case you need them. Just go slow. I am happy for you that this over. rest as much as possible the next few weeks, get up and move around every few hours, But let your body heal, goodluck, let me know how you are doing in the next week . Iris

• Posted

Thankyou

They sent me home yesterday barely 48 hours after my op. They said I was doing well. Happy to be home, but in a way I feel i have lost my security blanket.

You are right about the pain. They gave me plenty meds, so here's hoping they work.

I will certainly take your advice take care Lesley

• Posted

I am so happy for you , dont usually get involved in online chat but so gappy I answered you.

If I remember you have a daughter at home, please try to impress on her how much she can help you over the next couple of weeks.

your body has taken a huge hammering so be really kind and loving to yourself, take it really easy and you will benefit from the rewards !!

i am HRT free and loving life xxx

• Posted

Hi Maria

I am trying to come off HRT.  Were you on it previously and come off it, what was it like?  I had severe arthritis when i tried last time but think it is the HRT that is now causing me post menopausal bleeding for past 2 years, having had the fibroid removed, I am still bleeding.

• Posted

Thankyou for your encouragement. My daughter has become a dab hand at making omelettes providing me with drinks helping her grandad.

Just one question, I seem to be constipated not sure if its psychological and am scared but did you have any similar problems. Hope you don't mind me asking

So great that you are enjoying life xxx

• Posted

Hi Anne

I had a hysterectomy and both ovaries removed, I'm 54 and hadn't started menopause before the op, I had a huge cyst and four month size uterus due to fibroids ,

We discussed HRT before the op and took a wait and see approach as to whether I would need it , I only have a few mild hot flushes so have not taken HRT at all

Regards

Maria

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Well done for getting your family members to help !

I was surprised I was let out of hospital without passing a stool , and it took me a while too , l also didn't want to 'let go '

I drank loads and loads of water and walked around , when I got the urge I tried to take my time and relax, I remember reading that the bowel takes a while to come round after the

operation, when I did go there was no pain at all, just a huge sense of relief and another step to show everything getting back to normal.

Hope that helps and by the time you read this you too are relieved !

Take care

Maria xxx

• Posted

That good news Maria.  I could manage the hot flushes but I was bent over with the arthritis when I stopped.  I am thinking though that you should come off HRT gradually, so that is what I am going to do next, so my body has a change to regulate itself. 

I feel really well on the hrt but will need to stop taking it if it is causing me to bleed most every day.  I don't like taking meds unless they're really needed but for me I had to do something to carry on working without all the bone pain.

Going to have another go at coming off it though now I know what to expect or it might be better second time aroundsmile

• Posted

Great news Lesley

Try and remember to take it easy, you are out the other side now, best of wishes

Maria 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.