Had my op!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys! I had my op on Tuesday 7th February.Today is Friday 10th February.

Was out of bed the next day. Had a wash & physio visited to walk me very slowly down the ward. Chicken soup, red jelly & icecream 3x a day! Very tired but discomfort in stomach remarkably low. Stanley the Stoma is working. Lots of rude noises while gases are released from inflated stomach. Nurses emptied bag couple of times. Thursday, stoma nurse visited & remivedthe bag. First time I got to see Stanley. Not at all as bad as I'd imagined. Swollen at the moment but still neat. Helped to clean around & put on new bag. It's got to be done so went for it. Nurse said I did well! Had cathater removed in the evening & cannula in hand as back on oral meds now. Back on light diet tomorrow. Today woke up felt really smelly, I was! Lol. Had a lovely shower. Emptied bag myself. Physio arrived afterwards & I managed flight of stairs down & up. Stoma nurse changed bag & I helped again. Stanley slightly more swollen today. Said that's normal. Got to be able to change bags over the weekend & on Monday ok. Then I might be able to go home. Amazed at physical progress.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Glad you're doing well. Please keep up the updates. It's much more reassuring to get info from someone whose actually experiencing this rather than a maybe we'll meaning consultant who tells you what will happen as that's what the medical text books say.

Regards

Susan

• Posted

Well done bustergut1, you're doing great! I was the same up the next day, you'll soon be home with Stanley. X

• Posted

Bravo, so pleased it's gone well for you. With the right support you see improvements day on day and be able to consign UC to history. A Stoma is a minor inconvenience by comparison with the ravages of UC. So chuffed for you.

• Posted

Excellent news to know that you're making such wonderful progress, Bustergut1. So pleased for you. I did think of you on Tuesday as promised. Well done for taking the 'bull by the horns' and getting stuck into the routine of bag changing etc. I laughed at idea of 'Stanley the Stoma'; brilliant! 

I feel sure that with your optimism and positive outlook you will continue to make rapid improvements.  You are without doubt an inspiration to others who may be contemplating this operation.

Take care and please let us know how you're getting along in the coming days and weeks.

Peter A   

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies & encouragement. I'm Not brave by any means but guess I can only deal with it by getting on with it. I'm sure they'll be a few tears down the way. One thing I've noticed already, but obviously it's early days, is how quick I can be in the loo when just emptying the bag. Previously I could be 20 mins or more ' going to the loo'! Try to keep you all updated. Any questions big or small- I'll try to answer. x

• Posted

Hi BG, have read your comments and so pleased for you. The physical and psychological changes can be difficult but you have the right attitude and that is half the battle. You don't need to learn everything in one go, You will soon get into a routine and get to know your "habits" so you can time your bathing etc so no accidents.

Stanley will shrink as you continue to heal.

Best of luck as always.

Sheila.

• Posted

Thanks for comments. Managed to change the bag on my own today! Big event! Feeling very tired. Back ache & bloated tummy. Getting there though. Finds helps to walk a little to shift gas.

B x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.