Had some more results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Just a small update, i have had the results from my barium swallow and was told i do have acid reflux which i knew i had. And was told at night when sleeping i am suffocating every 5 minutes in my sleep from the acid coming up all night.

This is what caused my Emphysema changes and acid is still splashing in my lungs at night sad i now have to see a surgeon to see if they can fix my acid problem, but was told they might refuse because i still smoke.

i have been on 40Mg Omeprazole for about 6 months now the hospital has told me to start taking 80Mg a day 2 in the morning and 2 at night and no food or drink after 5pm to see if it helps. But 80Mg seems a lot to me.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It seems inconceivable to me that you would rather undergo an operation than give up cigs (and coffee?).Come on,what are you expecting from your body?
    • Posted

I give up laods of things most foods, never drink coffee or beer and hardly smoke now, and smoking is the last thing i have to enjoy. But i pay into the nhs just like most people so can't see why they should refuse me ? but if they do i will go private.

• Posted

mmmmm you pay into the nhs ?  perhaps you are confusing this with something else you are paying into.  

In UK we don't pay into NHS and our doctors do not give operations on demand by the patient, in fact even going privately our doctors won't give an operation if this involves patient risk or a situation where the problem causing the health condition to worsen is not first rectified.  It would be a waist of NHS funds and would be irresponsible and unethical for a doctor or surgeon to carry out such an operation whether patient is paying privately or not.

A person living outside of UK or has newly arrived in UK with little experience of how the medical situation works for people living in UK.

• Posted

My last paragraph above should read:

A person living outside of UK or has newly arrived in UK with little experience of how the medical situation works for people living in UK may not fully understand this.

• Posted

I do live in uk and i have not demanded anything they told me i need to see a surgeon about having it fixed, but they did say they might refuse me because i smoke which i think is unfair.

Has for NHS i pay loads of National Insurance and tax this is below is what it's for. So looks like i am paying for NHS

National Insurance is now used to pay for:

The NHS

Unemployment benefit

Sickness and disability allowances

The state pension

• Posted

John, sometimes here in the States docs refuse to perform surgery on smokers because the smoking itself makes the surgery too risky. Sometimes they refuse in this instance because smoking in and of itself is a cause of reflux. IF the latter is the case, why would anyone do the surgery just so that you can be back in the same leaky boat with that first post-surgical inhale?

Just call me an idiot who smoked too long.

• Posted

I think you probably need to chat about this in the appropriate discussion forum and read all about the reflux as this seems to be you main problem,  its a separate health condition and is treated separately aside from the emphysema.

Patient UK discussion forum for acid reflux here:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/reflux-oesophagitis-1969

Lots of information you may wish to make yourself aware of from this patient uk search link:

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=acid+reflux&searchcoll=All

• Posted

High Five to you Vee2! This is the best answer of all...first he needs to go the right forum for that issue and second...he's asking for advice...but only if it allows him to still smoke which is the worst thing he can do. I could go on and on just like everyone else could but again, wrong forum.

Ladyjack51

• Posted

I truly am sorry for your plight.But I know from experience doctors can't fix most things.If fact they usually makes things worse.It's all up to you.Get on a healthy low-fat diet of mainly plant foods.Read books by McDougall,Fuhrman and Gregor. Go to their web-sites.Excercise,Walk daily.If possible join a chair-yoga clas once a week.Give-up all liquor,coffee,sugar and smoking.You will be able to help yourself.

• Posted

I hardly eat anything have cut so much food out and that's why i have lost so much weight, so i don't think it's my diet, i don't drink coffee or beer never have and i do exercise so only thing it can be is smoking which i will stop from tonight to see if it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.