Had some results?

Posted , 5 users are following.

OK so saw GP again today and been given 25,000 iu of Vit D in an ampoule to take one a week for 6 weeks and then daily tablets of 800iu vit d as an on-going prescription.

She also said that my RF factor came back at 25 which she describes as high but i'm not sure it  really is? Anyway, she is referring me to a rheumatologist. I gather from reading and what GP said that the RF does not mean I definitely have RA, is that right? Wondering what else it may be as GP said its unlikely all my symptoms are down to Vit D deficiency.

Other symptoms I have are bad joint pains and stiffness in both my hands paticularly middle and ring fingers, base of both thumbs and wrists. Think I have a couple of hard little nodules, one on middle finger knuckle and one at base of thumb? Hands are worse in morning on waking and  my hands feels like they are huge but this eases off within first hour or two but throughout day my hands throb and pain espacially when doing nothing. My finders have swollen and been red at times but not all the time despite the pain and stiffness? Have some shoulder pain in both shoulders. Had a lot of fatigue and also almost daily get this weird fever which could be hot flashes but they lasts for a few hours and have awful accompanying headaches and some nausea  WHats going on?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm not sure about the RF level but your symptoms do sound like classic RA to me. Very similar to how mine first presented. It did take a while to get diagnosed and at first they thought I had fibromyalgia which made for a fun 6 months of no treatment.

I too suffer from chronic Vit D deficiency and start at mega dose like you and now on a long term maintainance dose like you have described. I spent six weeks in the south of France each summer and despite that my levels drop really very low unless I am on the maintenance dose year round.

I can't help with the temp thing and if it could be hot flushes as haven't reached that delight in life yet but if you have a lot of inflammation then it could be that which is making you feel so hot.

I wish you well and hope you get some answers soon

X

• Posted

Hi, I would say it sounds like rheumatoid too sadly. Mine presented in the same way, I too had hot flush type symptoms and felt very lethargic and quite ill in fact. The RF is rheumatoid factor, look it up Google it and you will see what normal, levels are. Hope you get onto some meds that work for you very soon
  • Posted

What you describe is typical of several different autoimmune disorders - and not just RA. I have a vasculitis, not RA, and what you describe could be typical for some PMR patients. 

Yes, you are right in thinking that apparently healthy people can have a raised RF and people with RA can have a normal RF. However, having a raised RF is often a sign that the person is going to deveop and inflammatory arthritis in the future.

So - good luck with your referral to a rheumy. With a bit of luck they'll find an answer that helps the symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.