Had surgery on my achilles tendon for a bone spurs .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had surgery on my achilles tendon to take a bone spurs out 3/12 months ago and was started to walk on it it was very painful but was doing good and now l put all my weight on it getting dressed and now im in alot of pain.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I wouldnt push it too hard. If ur in a lot of pain ur body is warning u. I tore my achilles tendon about a month ago and im walking on it with full weight but in a aircast and with no pain. I try not to walk too much tho. When i do it gets very sore. Try to set small goals for yourself everyday. Hope everything goes well!
  • Posted

Martha, I had this same surgery August 22nd. I'm still in a cast but will go in a boot on Wednesday. Still no weight bearing for another month after the boot. I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to follow your story since I had the same procedure done. I hope that you didn't re-injure yourself! Take it easy and maybe try some ice. Good luck!

• Posted

HI I heard yesterday that if I want to continue being active I should have the same surgery. Please tell me how long u suffered with the bone spurs for? What made u go the surgery route?
    • Posted

Had the bone spurs for about 9 month try pt but it didn't work so I had to have the surgery.

• Posted

Hi martha

​I know exactly how you feel, but today i had a break through had my first physio session and can already feel a bit of relief, i also got another aircast to my size which makes a big difference, my first walk from physio and to the doctors surgery.  Finally seeing some hope, 7 weeks post op.  Time thats all one needs, im learning to except that each day is a day closer to recovery.  Hang in there.  Talk to your doctor if the pain persists.  Get well soon.

• Posted

hi my doc told me today that i will need surgery to remove a bone spurs.  Do you think its worth doing?
    • Posted

IMO, and it's strictly MY OPINION, I would NEVER do this again! I would wear flip flops or backless shoes for the rest of my life before I would do the other foot! I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op.

• Posted

It's been a nightmare for me! I'm 4 weeks out, non weight bearing. Casted first two weeks then sutures out and put in boot. Incision looked awful from the beginning and ultimately got cellulitis (a major infection). Been on majorly strong antibiotics for a week today. The antibiotics have destroyed my stomach, mouth and a few other body parts 😬 The crutches are BRUTAL!! I also have a knee scooter and planned on going back to work in two weeks. Well, I tried it for two days and it just wasn't possible! The scooter gives your unaffected side a screaming workout (knee pain, shoulder pain, back pain). So now, I'm 4 weeks out of work without pay! My wound won't heal (I guess bc if the infection) making the boot EXTREMELY painful! Can't even think about weight bearing until wound heals. I knew it would be hard, but not this hard! If I had the choice to make over, I wouldn't do it! Flip flops for life instead, winter, spring, summer, fall!!!

• Posted

I can comp relate to yr frustration. Had a complete rupture on the 19th july,had surgery on the 20th July. Stitches, cast the works. Crutches are such a challenge like u every other part of my body ached. On the 30 aug cast was removed. Guess what the stitches got infected complete agony could not go to physio or wear the boot. Finally op is healing but up to now im so frustrated. Even with a frame. My lower back and knee of my good leg is struggling. This is not an easy thing to go thru. Hoping next week will get easier with physio. I need to walk. Very tired. Im 52 love gym and very active. This injury is completely taken away my confidence. Im told one day at a time. Im indeed trying.

• Posted

It is rough, indeed! Especially if you have complications! I'm glad that your wound is finally healing and that are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.