Had the mastoidectomey last week

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi I don't usually write on anything like this but thought as there isn't much on it I would give my experience to people. as a young child I av always sufferd ear infections always in my left ear always got treated with ear drop or anti biotic. then about 3 years ago gt another infection what wouldnt clear with anti biotic. I then got referd to ENT clinic told me I needed a mastoidectomy within months I got my appointment. I had my operation which I was in theatre around 5- 6 hours they drilled my mastoid to remove all infection and to rebuild my inner ear with cartilage they said everything went fine with the op. I stayed in hospital for 2 days as I couldn't walk as I lost my balance which is just starting to come back now but fully there yet. I was so sick had no pain until I left the hospital one night was so bad I was scaring and crying with the pain. It has been a week today since I have had it and the side effects what I have got from having it is. no balance couldn't walk with out my husband holding me being sick.lost the taste down one side of my tongue side of my face is numb and top of my ear.and headaches and shooting pains in my ear. The discharge in my ear doesn't seem to bad although he smell of antiseptic on my ear pack makes me feel sick I have the pack in and won't be having this out till on 6 weeks which is going to be hard as it's so annoying makes u want to itch inside but u can't and a full feeling in it earring I go for my stitches out tomorrow at my doctors office had no trouble with them so far but I'm going to wash my hair today as I can't cope with looking like some one as put the chip pan over my hair my husband will help as I can't get any water in my ear. hopefully I may have helped someone who was looking for information thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chelsea- so sorry you're going through this and I hope you recover soon!

In the meantime I would suggest cotton wool with vasaline when washing hair, and cotton wool with your fave perfume in your ear to try and take away a little of the antiseptic smell. ( Ive had 3 cholosteoma's now)

Your balance will adjust itslelf so things will get better! I hope you can manage the pain in the meantime and that you're not as accident prone as me! Best of luck, and best wishes for good health!

• Posted

hi may thank you for your reply. I will try the perfume on cotton wool sounds a good tip managed to wash my hair with no problems feel better with smelling fresher. could I ask how long it has taken you to get your balance back and how long you have your ear pack in for everywhere I have read says 3-4 but my Dr says 6 weeks also does it hurt when the pack as been taking out I didn't expect the operation to have as many side affects it as just shows your ears do a lot for us. Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Chelsea,

I think because my first operation was at 5 my balance issues resolved theirselves quite quickly as I was able to adapt. I still struggle from time to time now at 28 and have to crouch down until the world stops spinning... I would avoid moving too quickly and if you go out in the cold ensure your ears are wrapped up! As I understand it though everyone is different so discuss it with your doctor when you go again.

The pack removal should help- for me the time I had it in varied between 2 and 6 weeks- it didn't hurt to remove it- in fact I felt it a huge relief as the itches seemed to be scratched at the time! Also a good feeling to have it out anyway. I did feel very dizzy as they were removing it but much better after.

Hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.