Had to take some Omeprazole today

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, after weaning off the omeprazole, and only taking Rantinidine, today was a bad day.  I have been out of sorts today anyway, felt yesterday like I was getting a cold, runny nose, sneezing, just yucky.  Today, everything I have eaten has caused burning, lots of belching hiccuping, just ick.  I had taken 150 mg of rantinidine twice today, and still felt burning, so I broke down and took a partial capsule of omeprazole.  Guess I am going to have to eat pretty bland and hope this was a one time thing.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie. Hope you are feeling better today.,have you taken any meds for the cold symptoms, they may upset your stomach.

If you need omeprazole why can't you continue with them?

• Posted

Why have you come off omeprazole? Research has shown it probably protects against cancer. See the "PPI dangers" page on the www BarrettsWessex org uk website. (You'll find it under the Treatments / drugs tab.

The symptoms you describe, however, are of reflux rather than acid. Acid suppressants (be they PPIs like omeprazole or H2 blockers like ranitidine) just make reflux less danerous.

Visit the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk and read the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux.

Reflux is a mechanical action. It has nothing to do with eating bland food.

• Posted

Thanks to you both for your replies.  I guess first of all, I stopped because of all the hoopla going on, and the fact that my doctor seems to think it was a good idea.  I had never had low vitamin levels, or any real side effects.  In fact, I felt pretty wonderful.  So, I am thinking I will talk to her again.  I know I would probably be fine most days on 5 mg a day.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.