Had UFE 3 months ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, thought I'd post a wee update to give some encouragement to anyone unsure about having UFE. Although I had a longer, more difficult recovery than expected after UFE, 6-8 weeks after my op my symptoms of bloating and pain had gone. I was still worried about having a period though. However, I've just finished my first period since the op and I'm so happy! I'm back to having periods like I had in my 20's - 4 days, no real pain to talk of, no flooding, just light to moderate bleeding. Before my op I was having to take 2 days off work every month because of the flooding, clots and pain I was in. I really wish I had gone for UFE sooner rather than suffering for years! I'm so grateful that I'm one of the lucky ones that UFE has worked for, Aileen

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Aileen, It's good to hear a positive result from UFE. I'm still trying to decide on treatment options for my fibroids

• Posted

I realise that I might be lucky, and UFE isn't  as 'easy' an option as I thought it would be, but at the moment  I'm really glad I had it done. I'm just hoping my MRI at the 6 month stage shows positive results. Good luck with whatever treatment option you decide to go for.

• Posted

Great news Aileen were you just having the procedure for heavy bleeds or reduction of fibroid too|?
    • Posted

Hi Heather, I'm hoping for reduction too - I had multiple fibroids, the biggest of which was 7cm. I had bladder problems that are loads better now, as well as my periods being better.  I had a scan a month ago to see if there had been shrinkage but haven't had the results yet! I'm confident that they must have shrunk though, I feel better in myself than I have for years.

• Posted

Well thats fab Aileen, Its nice to read a success story, so glad its had a positive effect on your bladder, thats a great relief & will help you feel better as your sleeping pattern will improve with not having to get up so much through the night. It seems UFE has more positive effects on medium & smaller fibroids. The larger ones don't always seem to be as successful. I'm glad you got yours done at at the right stage as they just keep on growing. Gods speed x

• Posted

Hi Aileen really pleased it's worked for you. I had one In Jan buts it's not got rid of my big belly so I will need to look at another op but I don't regret it as it's always good to try less invasive op first.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Thanks Patricia, I've been lucky, my belly's shrunk and I've lost a stone in weight. Good luck to you for the future, Aileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.