Haematoma after hip replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have a large swelling at the side of my operation scar, sort of in my bum cheek and running into the top of my thigh at the back.  It's painful to sit on, lie on and painful when I walk.  I feel it is holding back my progress.  My consultant said it looks look a haematoma.  When I asked him if it would go away he said "Hopefully, but it doesn't look too bad".   Obviously how it looks is not my first concern rolleyes

I have been on two courses of antibiotics with no positive results so accept the fact that it is not infected which was my first worry.

However, it's still painful.  I saw my physio last week and told him about it. When he looked he said he thought I was going to show him something the size of a pea, but agreed that it was big.  He said he hadn't seen anything like it before.  He has advised me to keep going back to the doctors because as a post-op patient I am still 'in the system' and if a need a referral it will happen more quickly.  He says my hip is fine - I have a good range of movement and he has advised me to treat the hip replacement and the lump as two separate issues.

I am very worried about it and I wonder if anyone else has had anything similar.  I am also worried that no-one is taking it seriously.

I will keep going back to the doctors and saying how concerned I am until someone does something about it.

Cels Xxx

3 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm surprised the physio didn't try to 'break up' the heamanoma for you, or at least put an interferon machine on it for a while. Clots of blood could break off and end up circulating through your system. I had a huge heamatoma years ago when I fell on my butt on the edge of a step. It was swollen and blue and angry-looking..... Shudder just to be reminded of it....
    • Posted

Thanks for repying Annie,

I think he may be waiting to see if the antibiotics were going to work.  I'm seeing him next week again so I'll see what he says.

Cels Xx  

• Posted

Hi Cels, 

So sorry to hear this ....  how big is it?   

I know what you mean about not being taken seriously - I have this bruised-like feeling in tummy after 2 rounds of 6 weeks self-injecting blood thinners - it feels hard and lumpy too - 

I was told to just massage "them" away by PT - I know, cannot compare it to yours - 

do you think it needs to be drained?

azthinking of you

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee.

Have y stopped the tummy injections?

If so dont massage the areas it causes bruising .,just leave and in time will go on its own.

If u still on inj make sure to alternate the site daily, pinch more than an inch and dont dart in, slowly inject while pinching, release flesh and needle at same time on completing injection and no rubbing.

Not foolproof technique but nearly every pt gets bruising from these .

• Posted

I would say about the size of a large mango.  I would like them to consider draining it but not sure if they'd do that so close to a bone operation.  I know they take the risk of introducing infection very seriously.  I will ask about that next time I see the GP.  I'll see what the physio says first on Thursday.

Cels Xx

• Posted

Hi Angela1988

I'm glad I just saw your message about injecting!  (I don't get on the site very often).  Come tea-time every day, I know that injection is coming and get a bit anxious about it because it's a gamble if it's going to hurt or not.  I'm trying to get my technique better but sounds like it's common to get bruising then.  That's why I love this site, because we can all get some relief from our worries!  I've got seven injections to go, and counting down every single one. 

Have a good day and hope your recovery is going well.,

Love from Pammyw.  xxx

• Posted

I probably have same no left.

I sometimes make one sting toi but better than a dvt eh??

😘

• Posted

definitely - squeeze the skin, plunge the needle, in -and out and DO NOT RUB --- soon it will just be a distant memory until someone brings it up ..

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this and can understand your fears.

Not sure if it just goes with time ??

Are y still using any anticoagulants? Maybe ask dr to check if thats relevant??

• Posted

No, I finished the anticoagulants after two weeks.  I am now just over 8 weeks post op.  If it was just a lump that would go away I would accept that but it's the pain that goes with it that is still keeping me on painkillers, and causing me to use a crutch as it hurts to put weight on my op leg.  The pain isn't from the hip, it's from this lump which feels like a huge bruise but there's no visible bruising.

Xx

• Posted

Sounds like you should persue this with the consultants.

So wish u a speedy recovery xx

• Posted

My consultant doesn't want to see me for another year now so that means a referral back from the GP.  That's what I'm trying to get, oy maybe the physio can sort out a referral, I'm not too sure.
    • Posted

I know they say that Cels -- I was told the same by my surgeon at follow up visit ( about 8 weeks post-op from 2nd THR) - he actually said 3 years - it sounded great --- wow - I have graduated ... but then I wanted a 12 months and 6 months follow up of 1st and 2nd THR - GOP waqs not interested in hips, sadly and I was told that surgeon had discharged me with : Patient is released and is allowed to do everything ( loosely translated here) - she didn't even bother to check range of motion -

so I called surgeon's office, explained and got appointment where the trochanteric bursitis was diagnosed -  

I don't like the pain you have from it - it would worry me - especially considering the size - 

• Posted

Thanks for that very useful piece of information Renee.  I'd not even thought of phoning the surgeon's office.  I'll speak to my physio (he's lovely) on Thursday and see what he says about that idea, although if he disagrees I will not necessarily follow his advice wink

My consultant didn't seem particularly interested before but it wasn't so painful them. 

Big hugs,

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Aww CelsB.  Sorry to hear you have this to contend with apart from everything else.  I truly hope it all gets sorted out for you quickly.  I'm thinking of you.  You're always such a pleasure on this site.  Best wishes.  Pammyw.   xxx
    • Posted

Awww thanks Pammy, how kind of you to say that smile

I have good news, the GP says there is no longer any fluid under my skin so the haematoma seems to have gone, and the swelling now is just as a result of the operation.   He said if he was the least concerned he would have written to my consultant but that in his opinion there was nothing to worry about and everything is normal.  He reminded me, as we all do to each other, that I've had major surgery and that everyone heals at different rates.

He has made me feel so much better.

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Thats really good news Cels , am so pleased to hear xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Bini.  I still think it's quite swollen but as long as there's no infection and no fluid I feel happy that it's all a normal part of the healing process. I'm so glad I went though, rather than sitting at home and worrying.  I am a bit of a worrier and always imagine the worst possible scenario.

He was lovely and spent time reassuring me and told me not to hesitate to go back if I felt I needed to. 

Xxx

• Posted

He sounds perfect and I am so glad all is OK xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.