Haematoma following rectocele repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm just over 3 weeks post op and I bled quite badly after surgery resulting in needing a transfusion. I developed a haematoma and managed to see my consultant last week due to the continued bleeding. She told me this was the haematoma draining out my vagina and prescribed me some antibiotics to prevent infection. My concern is that the blood coming out of me which is old blood smells like what I can only describe as death 😢 this is now really getting me down as I can smell it all the time even though I'm showering several times a day. I just wondered if anyone else has had something similar and if so how long will this go on for? I'm starting to feel I can't go out anywhere and feel repulsed every time I go to the toilet. Many thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Laura, so sorry you had such a bad time with this.  I really have no idea about the blood but Matron might and hopefully she'll be able to reassure you.  I do wish you a speedy recovery though.
    • Posted

Thank you Chris, yes hopefully matron will have some knowledge on this. Thank you for the reply and best wishes. Laura
  • Posted

Hi Laura so sorry to hear this and I wish u a speedy recovery. Matron is invaluable on this site and I'm sure she will give u the best advice. Take care. Warmest regards jan.
    • Posted

Thank you jan I appreciate you taking the time to reply and for your kind words. Hoping matron will be able to give me some reassurance on this, thanks again, Laura.
  • Posted

Hello laura I can understand just how worried you are. The discharge you describe is typical of a haematoma. The old blood will smell absolutely disgusting but in my experience one course of antibiotics is not enough. Can you tell me what you were prescribed and how long the course was for? That should give me some idea as to what to suggest next.
    • Posted

Hi matron thank you so much for replying. I've been prescribed a weeks course of metronidazole 400mg three times a day. I was really hoping this would stop the smell but it's the last day of them tomorrow and the smell seems to be getting worse each day. It looks like tar coming out of me and the smell makes me feel sick, I'm having to spray air freshener after going to the bathroom it's so bad. As I don't know where the haematoma is I don't know which position best to lie to help it drain or if it will ever all come out? Thank you so much for your help, Laura.
    • Posted

Laura Metronidazole is a strong antibiotic so you should be seeing some improvement by now to be honest. I was hoping to be more positive but I think if on Monday if it's still the same you should contact your GP or consultant. Do you have a temperature?
    • Posted

Thank you matron, no I luckily don't have a temperature I just feel very swollen in the abdomen and this is very tender. Fingers crossed things will improve but like you say if no better by Monday I will go to the GP and see what they can do. I'm very grateful for your advice, Laura.
    • Posted

It's good that your temperature is normal. I've got everything crossed that by Monday you'll see an improvement because the Metronidazole will still be in the bloodstream for about 48 hours after you've finished the course. Keep in touch laura 
  • Posted

Just an update incase anyone ever has something similar. The metronidazole unfortunately didn't work on the infected haematoma, I ended up needing to go to a&e due to severe pain (worse than childbirth!) one night. I was prescribed coamoxiclav and this started to clear things up. I seen my consultant later that week who seemed positive, she said I have a small defect and the haematoma needs to completely drain although this is more like a fluid now not blood. She checked on me again last week and although draining it's less now, I've got a back up of antibiotics incase any odour returns over Christmas and I'm hoping to go back to work this week. I do still have some pain around my bottom area as this is where the haematoma was. Anyway I hope none of you ladies reading this never have any of these problems, I understand I've been a very small statistic and as usual for me unlucky! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.