haemochromatosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

i got dx yesterday with haemo will i now have to have tests to see if there has been any damage caused??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sane thing here. They want me to come in for a liver biopsy.
    • Posted

Sorry to but in... just wanted to let you know that there is an alternative to lover biopsy.  When I was diagnosed with haemo the gastroenterologist tried to force a biopsy onto me, too.  I really hate needles so refused.  Then it transpired that an MRI scan is available, and a Fibroscan.  The biopsy only looks at a tiny piece of liver tissue so the margin for error is bigger than for the other 2 methods, where a much larger area of liver is looked at.  If you can avoid the pain of the biopsy, why put yourself through it?  My gastroenterologist thried to bully me without telling me that there were other options.

Good luck.

• Posted

If your ferritin is over 1000 then possibly, but it's wonderful that they caught it and now you will start to feel better!

• Posted

I think it depends on what symptoms you have been exhibiting prior to the diagnosis.� In my case, it turned out that many of the individual issues for which I had been treated were later found to be attributed to HH.� Wish I had read this string a year ago as I have been through two liver biopsies, three CT scans�and numerous blood tests.�That all said, since I have started treatment, many of these issues have gone away.� Take care!�

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.