hair fall and balding

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 27 years old and since last 5 years i am facing hair fall. now the situation is worst my scalp is visible. i dont know what to do. for me it is too embarassing, i have lost my confidence. i am not yet married.  should i go for hair transplant or hormone therapy?

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi.  sorry this is happening to you.  I am 20 years older than you and have had thinning hair due to menopause, but for you, I would think you need to see a doctor, you could have hormone imbalance or thyroid probs.  Just ask for these blood tests as I think (although sometimes it happens at a younger age) you are a little young for perimenopause.  Get the blood tests and there are treatments available.   best of luck.
    • Posted

I found something on Facebook I've been trying Ginger root you cut it and rub the scalp with it it seems to be doing something my hair is starting to get less breaking and my thin area is growing not sure if it's something else but since I started doing this it's been growing back don't hurt to try

• Posted

Have you had your thyroid checked? 
    • Posted

yes. my thyroid is ok. now the Dr. suggested me for Hormonal checkup. 

• Posted

There are many medications for hair loss, like rogaine, and minoxidil and shampoo like Nioxin. Ask your doctor for prescription strength rogaine.  Best of luck.
  • Posted

Have you a your vitamin D levels checked I had the same problem and it was vitamin D I was very low in it
    • Posted

I have the same problem and it was low vitamin D for me as well. My Dr advised that I take 1200 mg vitamin D but I take 2000 mg daily and have noticed a big difference in the fullness of my hair and the thin part in the top of my head is almost full again.
  • Posted

Hello Barkha,

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I would absolutely go to the doctor first of all.  It could be almost anything causing your hair to fall out.  For my Mother, this is happend to her, only to find out she had Lupus.  They tested her for everything, and finally she went to a Dermatologist, and he was the one that discovered it.  Her Lupus started as "Topical" Lupus, then went internal.  It may not be that, so don't be frightened, because it could be many other things, but you do need to be checked to get to the bottom of what is causing it. Some people get what they call "Alopecia" and one can get it at any age, and your doctor will be able to help you with that.  I too went through hair loss, but mine was due to taking a toxic medication for my

rheumatoid arthritis, (RA) called Methotrexate, it also made me very sick from all the side effects.  I was told to take a wonderful vit called Biotin which comes in 5,000, 7,500, which is the one I take, and 10,000 icu's.  My hair has come back, and it is back to being nice and thick, and I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and my hair is back to normal once again, healthy and shiney!  If I were you, I would start on that combination right away, as it may take a couple of months for it to start to work.  I started seeing baby hairs growing after the first month.  I've been on it for a year now, and I will continue to stay on it, as I am on so many medications due to health issues, I want to keep my hair as long as I can!  Also, I am a LOT older than you are.  I wish you good luck Dear!!!  Let us know what your doctor has to say!!  {{{{HUGS!}}}}  XO

• Posted

Hi deirdra. Based on your previous posts about biotin, I decided to try this for my 67yr old mum who has hairloss not sure if its due to ageing, or hormones - she had a hysterectomy in her late 30's due to prolapse. The main reason i bought it was the hairloss for mum. I also decided to try as i think since peri set in , I am thinning a bit round top corners of my forehead & I have superthick curly hair so I noticed it, but also because it said it can increase energy levels. I have been on it for 2wks & so far have noticed my energy levels are a little better (I am currently ill with colitis so feeling crap anyway). Not noticed anything with my hair yet, but its only 2wks. My mum says her hair feels thicker so far, but is keeping a close eye on her bald areas for baby hair coming through......We take 2 tablets am, 2 tablets pm as directed on the bottle. We've had no side effects at all. Our tablets are 300ug each - I can't really correlate that to your doses deirdra as I don't know what ug's are - do you? So we are taking 1200ug every day. Just wondered if this was a good dose - ie too low/just right/too high if you know? xx

• Posted

Ok...I had to ask my hubby on this one!  LOL  "ug" and mcg" are one and the same.  And I made a mistake in my post...I typed "icu" what I meant to type was "mcg" which is "migrograms".   I am so sorry!!!  I got confused with "international units."  I looked at our vit. E bottle.  So what you are taking is a bit lower than what I am taking.  But if it is working, finish the bottle, then when you buy the next one, get the higher doseage if you can get it there.  ug, and mcg = the same thing.  I take 7,500 mcg a day, but if you are feeling a difference on the 1200, stick with that for a while.  Don't forget, I am on a LOT of medication, so it has a lot of work to do on me!  LOL  You might not need as much as I do. 

Good Luck!  smile 

• Posted

Thanks Deirdra,I'm on lots of meds too. I'll carry on with this dose for couple of months ( i bought 2 months supply each for me & mum) & see how we go. i read somewhere the recommended daily dose is 500-1000mcg. Is it safe to go over that do you know? xx

• Posted

You are welcome!  Yes, the doctor seems to think it is fine, as well as the Dermatologist.  The Derm did say they don't like the 10,000mcg, as some people do have issues with it...like their tongue turns a strange color?  But that seemed to be the only problem.  Good Luck!  Let me know how it goes!  If you can...maybe you already do...try the Nioxin shampoo and conditioner along with it.  It is a really nice product, makes your hair feel very nice, and seems to make it feel not so brittle.

• Posted

p.s.  I just had my hair trimmed today, my hairdresser said I have all kinds of new hair!  She told me it is really looking healthy and shines!  I also bought a new supply of the Biotin, I buy it when it goes on sale...buy one get one free!  That was a happy deal today! LOL

XO 

• Posted

Do you know if Nioxin is good for dandruff? Lately, my scalp is acting weird with a little dandruff, is this stuff any good for it?
    • Posted

Hey You!  I know it is quite mild on the hair...and they do have a leave in conditioner that reduces dandruff.  It has a kind of tingly feeling that relieves the itchy feeling...so reduces the dandruff. 

Hey...I should get paid as a spokes person for their product!  LOL  I do swear by it though!  I don't lose as much hair as I used to...no where as much hair in the drain anymore!!! 

• Posted

Thanks good to know! I see it at the stores but think it's only for hair loss, so maybe I can use it then.Thanks again xo

• Posted

Hi deidra

My DR. suggested me supradin and doxcycline and lactic acid bacillus casules and physical excercise. my reports of testosterone is normal i dont know what is the problen thn if everything is normal.

can i take biotin with above mentioned medicines.

• Posted

Hi Barkha,

I would check with your doctor, but given it is a supplement, it should be ok to take.  I take it with all of my meds, and I have some pretty strong meds, and it does not interfere with anything I take...and my doctor knows I take it, all of my doctors know everything I take...they all have an updated list every time anything changes.  I keep it on my computer, and make changes in meds, or supplements/vitamins, I make a copy and take it with me when I have doctor appointments...keeps everyone up to date!

• Posted

Thankyou Deirdra, that's when i bought mine too from H & B in their half price offer. We will try it for the 2mths & see how we go. Were you on a tv quiz recently called "tipping point"? Bizarre question i know, but there was a lady contestant on there with your name & it made me think i wonder if that's deirdra off patient uk!!! lol!!! As deirdra is quite an unique name.... xxx

• Posted

Nope...Not me!  I'm in the U.S.  LOL  But, yes it's not an every day name!  That's funny though! 

Good Luck!!  XO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.