Hair loss

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking Omerprozrole since April, I have been loosing my hair and now I've got a few bald bits and my hair is gone very thin, has ayone else experienced this problem

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you sure this is a side-effect of omeprazole? I hope not!
  • Posted

Hi Wendy and all other Omeprazole users. I too have been taking this medication for nearly 3 years and have been experiencing horrendous amounts of hair loss since starting it. I had very long thick hair and now I have patchy, weak, long string hanging from my head. Stupidly I didn't even connect this problem with Omeprazole until I read your message and thought it was an age thing. I am going to stop taking it for a while to see if there's an improvement and will let you know. I'd rather have stomach problems than be a bald woman!! Vanity huh !!!!
  • Posted

Hello Folks

If you look elsewhere on this site particularly relating to achalasia or oesophagus problems you will find quite a few comments on the hair loss caused by this drug. Some have not regained their hair even after stopping the drug. In my case it affected my eyes with blurring and inability to focus but I'm pleased to say my eyes have now returned to normal 6 months later.

Jean

• Posted

I noticed i have been losing a fair bit more hair in the last couple of years. I put it down to age as i am now 45, maybe it's down to the omeprazole , maybe not. I would much rather protect my stomach as i have been on anti inflams permanently for the last 3 or 4 years and will probably need them for life. Just think of all the funky wigs you can have instead of having to mess about with your hair every day, vanity was never big on my list although i do take care with my appearance and i would always put my health first.
    • Posted

How long have you been on the for now, what dosage?
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm an ex-pat living in Kansas City, USA. I was prescribed Omeprazole in Nov 2009, and after about 6 weeks, noticed my hair was very shiny and getting thin and growing a lot slower than normal. I normally get my hair cut every 4 weeks, but now I can go 6 weeks easily. My stylist noticed it seemd thinner than normal. I've been searching the Internet to seek out answers, and am delighted to have found this link.

I thought carefully about any other new medication I've been taking and Omeprazole is the only addition. The males in my family have never experienced baldness, so it is not herediatary.

I'm going to talk to my Doctor to seek out an alternative. He prescribed me two tablets a day for the rest of my life (I'm 59). They are 20 mg caplets.

Did anyone have an alternative pill that worked for them?

Thanks.

Ian

• Posted

My Mum has been taking Omeprazole for the past three years. She was \"famous\" in the family for the thick (and I mean THICK) head of hair she has had from a child. (her sisters all had average hair). Now it is very thin. In fact, you can see her scalp through the hair. Although she is 77years old, the fact is she was 74 when she started taking this drug and her hair was so thick that the hairdresser used to sit on a stool to blowdry it.. now they just blow on it. but what is the alternative? sad
  • Posted

I also have ruined hair through this drug. I had lots of hair, although it was fine. It permed in next to no time and only needed two perms per year. Now it will not take a perm and is constantly a mess. The alternative is Nexium, which the GP's will not prescribe because of the cost.

Jean

• Posted

Hi

[color=red:8c38e2b204]Updated 9.12.2010:[/color:8c38e2b204]

“According to at least two SPCs for omeprazole (Losec and Winthrop’s generic), hair loss (alopecia) is a known, albeit rare, side-effect of omeprazole. Concerned patients should be advised to discuss it with their doctors.”

If you feel that a symptom is due to a side effect of a medicine that you have taken then you may wish to report it to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) via their yellow card scheme - http://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Patient UK Admin

• Posted

I have tried this but although I am a UK citizen, because I live in Spain my report was not accepted. I feel that this side effect is more common than reported? Trying to come off them but having some very uncomfortable nights
  • Edited

I've also experienced hair loss having used omeprazole. So too has my mother and a friend of mine. I got my doctor to prescribe an alternative and my hair has started growing back!
    • Posted

Hello Anne, what was the alternative your doctor prescribed? I am having the same problem and I am terrified...
    • Edited

It is distressing when we lose our hair. What is the reason you are taking Omeprazole, this may be more important? If it's a chronic condition then consult your doctor. 

Omeprazole inhibits the absorption of iron and as I was anaemic it made me worse. Anaemia causes hair loss. 

If you feel you can, then cut down slowly taking one on alternate days then every two days. See how you feel. You may be able to manage with over the counter remedies. 

That is what I have done. 

Then I have improved my hair with a silica supplement and biotin supplement. And my iron levels have improved. Take with food to avoid upsetting your stomach. It will take about 3 months to see an improvement. 

Hope this helps a little 

• Posted

Hi Susan, so good to hear that your hair started to grow back after changing your proton pump inhibitor. I, too have the same problem with the hair loss and I am wondering if you would share the name of the drug that helped your hair regrow?

With Kind Regards 

Susan Brooks

• Posted

Hello,

My girlfriend is taking a number of drugs including Omeprazole and warfarin, and her hair has thinned considerably in the last year or two. She like to know of alternatives.

I see that anne1202 has had success with a change. Could anne1202 please let me know what was the alternative to Omeprazole that she used.

Regards,

Ray

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.