Hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

My 18yr old daughter was diagnosed with pa a few months ago. She had the loading doses of b12 injections but hasn't received any more.

My main worry is that her hair is getting thinner and thinner, her scalp is visible all over. Is this normal??

Going to see her go on Monday, hopefully get some help.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The answer is yes and no! The reason why yes it is quite normal for her condition, because when iron stores are low (anaemia) hair loss/thinning can happen. The reason no is because P.A is for life and after the loading doses your daughter should be on regular doses (go to the P.A website, they have information on what regime you daughter should be on), unfortunately hair loss may take time to seemingly get better.

The only other thing is if your daughter has hair extensions or is tempted to have hair extensions, get them removed because they are notorious for contributing to bad hair and scalp health, also whilst her scalp and hair is so delicate try not to heat style her hair, and if she blow drys her hair make sure she leaves a tiny bit of dampness.

Good luck!

Kelly

• Posted

Your daughter shoudl be on b12 injections for life and folate acid, it will take her body time to repair from all the damage b12 had cause there is great facebook groups for b12
  • Posted

My hair was falling out and very thin. I inject 3ml cyanacobalmin once a week.  I take folic acid, B6, Vitamin K, on a daily basis. Hormones got very low.  I get hormone pellet injection once a quarter and they slow release. Hair has returned.

wishing her the best. 

• Posted

How long ago since your daughter had her last loading dose and is she suffering neurological symptoms beside her hair loss?

As Kelly said B12 injections with P.A. are for life and should be given in accordance with the following:

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

"Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment."

It is also vitally important for your daughter to have her Folate level checked as this is essential to process the B12 she is having injected.

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had P.A. for 45 years and I'm still "clivealive" at 75 and still with a good head of hair.

I wish you and your daughter well for the future.

• Posted

Hi

Has your daughter had her Thyroid functions checked as this can cause hair thinning?

Deb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.