Hair Loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

To all of you who have had trouble withe the hair thinning/hair loss side effect from taking steroids,I have found it is quite useful to use a shower comb with wide teeth instead of my usual brush. It does not pull and tug at the hair the same way a brush does,therefore any dry bits do not break off so easily.

In an earlier post I also said I take a folic acid tablet daily,which recently seems to be helping my hair.

Another tip,this time re weight gain.  I have not put on a huge amount of weight,maybe around 6lbs,so I did find my clothes tighter. Rather than go up a dress size,I bought some extendable buttons for trousers (you could also just move buttons along your waistband a bit) and some bra extenders for bras. We all know how expensive bras are,and also saves buying new clothes. ( maybe the downside is though,we all like new clothes!).

Hopes these tips help if you have not already tried them.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Great tips barb, I m on methotrexate, as just reducing steroids, been nearly six months, and I 've lost most of sight in left eye and some in right eye, but its onwards and upwards now.. I m on folic acid, and hopefully it's slowing the hair loss.. I find my weight gain has stopped vitually now, so I live in hope...all the best

Mary

• Posted

You have a lovely positive attitude Mary and are a credit to yourself.

All the best to you too.

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Barbara

I am ahead of you with the buttons!! All my jeans have had an additional button right on the end for the last year! I hope that eventually, when the steroids are gone or at least nearly gone, that I will go back to my slim self and I can get rid of those extra buttons!

I have really bad hair loss and it has been happening for several years since 2013 when I first was diagnose with PMR and put on steroids. I also had breast cancer at the same time and I had put the hair loss down to radiotherapy, but now, as it continues, I realise it is the result of the steroids. So, a BIG thank you for the tip on Folic Acid - I will get some tomorrow.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Loulie,

Nice to hear from you. You sound very positive after what you have gone through and still going through with the steroids. I hope the folic acid helps.

Kind regards

Barbara

• Posted

I have suffered from alopecia areata for years. And I still suffer from hair loss today from it with a spot here and there. So I don't worry about using a special comb or brush to keep from losing a few hairs now and then. Because when you don't brush out a few hairs they will fall out anyway. So there's no point in worrying about it. Hair is hair I've learned to come to accept it. It is very hard to lose our hair. At one point I had to wear a wig or hats. I have been fortunate right now with this prednisone I haven't lost any real significant amount of hair. Just sporting a few spots here and there. But like I said I don't think about it much.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes,I agree it is hard when we have hair loss Amkoffee. I used to have really thick hair and it is now quite fine,but seems to have stopped falling out so much since reducing to 7mg and taking the folic acid. Like you say you just get used to it. We all lose hair anyway when we wash or brush hair but I find the shower comb especially useful because it does not break off any dry bits like a brush would. I think too pushing it behind your ears (if your hair is long enough) helps too. Good excuse then to buy a pretty pair of earrings!

Best wishes,

Barbara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.