Hair Loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

does anyone know if there is any shampoo, tonic to help get my lovely hair back after loosing so much of it due to taking Amlopodine? Any help would be much appreciated. Also how long after stopping this poison does the hair loss stop and does the hair grow again? Thanks Kate 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I too suffered hair loss especially round the front of my head and temples it was gradual over about 4 years but all of a sudden I noticed it get much worse. I tried shampoos to help with the problem but to be honest they didn't work. I found though that after stopping this medication about a month to six weeks later it started to grow back. I think it helps if you massage your scalp to increase blood circulation and use a gentle shampoo and good conditioner and try not to use straighteners etc until it feels in better condition. Doctors don't want to admit to us that hair loss is a side effect of amilodipine but there are so many ladies that have been troubled with this we cannot all be wrong. I hope your hair comes back soon I am sure it will once the medication is out of your system, I actually think that quite a few blood pressure meds may cause some hair loss, I am on a replacement and although not as bad  I think it still has that side effect but not nearly as noticeable as with amilodipine. I have regained my memory which had got terrible and my feet and ankles do not swell up anymore so that's another plus. Good luck kind regards Debbie

• Posted

Hi Kate, I have found that after about a month I. Noticed fine hair growth appearing where it had gone bald my hair had receded gradually until all of a sudden it seemed so noticeable I have always had thick strong hair, I don't think it will ever be the same but it is gradually thickening up a bit. I can't say about shampoos helping I don't really think they did I just use a gentle shampoo and conditioner and keep away from hair straighteners. The hair loss will definitely stop with the amilodipine out of your system. I feel,tho that other blood pressure mess can cause hair loss too. I am on indapomide now with ramipril and bisoperol and my blood pressure is 110/70 the reading I always was before it actually became high my ankle and feet swelling has gone and my memory is back to how it was because it was really poor. So I hope things improve for you it is devastating to loose your hair especially when it has been thick too it is more notiable. Good luck with your future medicines there are options doctors just seem to prescribe the most commands and probably the cheapest first, some people seem to be fine I have a male friend who has taken amilodipine for some years quite happily with no side effects, but we can't all be wrong about the side effects we are suffering.kind regard Debbie

• Posted

Sorry Kate you now have several replies from me,my iPad was playing up,and I didn't think it had posted my reply to you🙄

• Posted

Hello,

I am horrified to discover that the reason for my receding hair line is taking amlodopine 5mg for 24yrs.  My hairline has moved back so far that my fringe has disappeared and the remaining hair will not hold a curl from rollers.

I am going back to my Doctor to request that I am taken off these tablets. Diltiazem gives me ringing ears and headache so I don't know what he can offer me?

Do I want to be dead or bald? Difficult decision!!

• Posted

Hi June neither of those choices are acceptable are they? I lost a lot of my hair and I have always had good thick hair it has got better now since I stopped the amilodipine. I now take indapamide to replace the amilodipine along with ramipril and bisoperol which I have always taken and my blood pressure is usually 110/70 as apposed to 120/86 or around there when on amilodipine so I am pleased with the new medication and no horrid side effects. My doctor was great and changed the meds  immediately so I am sure yours will when you explain the side effects. My doctor also said she had not heard of hair loss being one of the side effects but the many many comments on here prove it has this as one effect with so many ladies. Hope all is sorted for you and I am sure you will feel more back to normal again once off amilodipine. Kind regards Debbie
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind message Deborah. I have been 120/68 for years, but have never had high blood pressure anyway.  Just had a CT scan, so if that is ok, I am tempted to come off medication altogether.
    • Posted

I tried that June and after a month my blood pressure started to rise again, I was always 110/70 then all of a sudden it went off scale for no reason and if I don't take the meds I get horrible headache too and I don't want a stroke. I have a blood pressure monitor now and I recomend if you do come off the meds to take your blood pressure at least weekly. Glad your scan was ok maybe it is just one of those things your reading doesn't seem that high is that before the medication? If so you could discuss this with your doctor there are other ways of getting it lower too sometimes they are too quick to put you on all the medications which once started they do not recomend you stop them but blood pressure can't be taken lightly either it has serious consequences. Good luck I am sure you will be fine and find the right path to take, kind regards Debbie 

• Posted

June, the baldness is a certainty, death less so! Speaking for myself, i'd rather take my chances than go about feeling awful about my hair for the rest of my life but i'm a bit shallow :-D

• Posted

It depends what your taking amilodipine for if it's high blood pressure then you really should see your GP because I was on the verge of having a heart attack or stroke neither would have been good, so you need a medication to lower it like indapamide that's done the job with no hairloss or side effects up to now , doctors seem to not acknowledge the hair loss side effect which is terrible for a woman of any age I am 56 and along with the wrinkles I don't want to go bald as well. Good luck everyone with your health issues hope your GP's give you a kinder drug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.