hair loss and sleepless nights and lots of coughing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone my question is has anyone lost hair my doctor says it not related to sarcoidsis but ive lost over half of my hair and im seeing a few bald spots ive always has really thick hair Thanks for any help or answers 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if hair loss relates to sarcoidosis. It may be related to medication or other conditions. If you have bald spots, it may be ringworm as well. Check online for pictures/symptoms and compare those with yours. You can even find an interesting article on Patient site (this website) - Fungal Scalp Infection - scalp ringworm.

Regarding sleepless nights, many sarcoidosis patients have them. I feel tired all day long, but when I'm going to bed, I'm unable to fall asleep. Sometime, it takes 2-3 hours to fall asleep, sometimes it's better (or worse). 

And yes, coughing can be due to sarcoidosis, if you have it in your lungs. There are times when I cough a lot, especially in cold/humid weahther. During summer, cough is almost gone. In sarcoidosis, cought is usually dry, but you may also have cough with expectoration. Talk to your doctor and, if you have a lot of sputum without any infection realted, you can take some acetylcysteine, which is usually prescribed in chronic pulmonary conditions to help eliminate mucus. However, you have to talk to your doctor to see if this medication is appropriate for you and to make sure you have no infection.

take care,

Magda

• Posted

Thanks for the info will for sure look it up
    • Posted

I see my doctor soon and Im going to bring it up again have hair loss since may I hope that all goes well for you
  • Posted

Hi Sparky ~

I have the utmost respect for Magda.  I do want to say that when I had my first round/fight with pulmonary sarcoid, the fact that I had sarcoid wasn't fully responsible for hair loss.  I was on steroids, methotrexate and plaquenil.  Those drugs alone are very harsh on the body...let's admit what it is...it's posion to our body and something was bound to react.  For me in addition to many other symptoms, hair loss was a big one.  My doctor said it was from the disease and the meds.  Other people may be affected in other ways that i didn't and won't have.

I've decided this fight, I'm going to get a wig.  YES, a wig!! don't judge me LOL eekhehe.  I never ever thought I'd go in this direction but I was so stressed with everything else going on that the hair loss was just the slap.  I was embarrassed and humilated. 

I worked in a Public School and was the very first person everyone had contact with.  Immediately they looked at my hair..then my weight.  I'm not a vain person, persay, but, I do take enough care of myself that this slam just was too much pressure on me.  So, yes, I am getting a beautiful wig!  See, I feel if I have (in my mind) to explain it in here, out in the world, it will mess with my mind so much more. 

Back to you.  After lowering the dose of steroids, my hair did grow back.  I do have sarcoid on my scalp so that could have added to the problem.

Good luck and don't stress out...buy a wig eek heeh

Frustrated

• Posted

I have lost almost all of my hair. I too had very think curly hair. My rheumatologist said it is absolutely the sarcoidosis I would find a new doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.