Hair loss. Help!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Is anyone here suffer from hair loss? I don't know what to do.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lia, Has your doctor done a blood test for thyroid hormone levels? Sjogren's is well-known for attacking the thyroid, and one of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid is hair loss. Other symptoms are tiredness, weight gain, always feeling cold, constipation, slow pulse, dry skin and brittle nails.

However not everyone gets all the symptoms. I've always had a tendency to feel too hot, and this was true even when my thyroid levels were low. I didn't put on very much weight either, but had all the other symptoms.

If it is an underactive thyroid that's good news, as it's very easily treated by taking a thyroxine pill every morning. Thyroxine isn't even a medication in the strict sense of the word. It's just a synthetic version of the hormone your own body isn't making enough of, so it has no side-effects after the first few weeks.

• Posted

Thank you.

The blood test of my thyroid is always in the normal range. But sometimes it is close to the minimum, and sometimes it is close to the maximum (there are fluctuations). In addition, I had a biopsy of the scalp and I suffer from inflammation and infiltration of lymphocytes..

BTW, sorry for my English..

• Posted

I think I have hyper thyroid because I suffer from weight loss, rapid heartbeat, nervousness ..
  • Posted

Hello Lia, I also suffer from thinning hair on my scalp but it seems to have slowed thank goodness as my hair is my thingsmile I will say i only have to shave my underarms every 6 weeks and my legs maybe every 6 months. I do not know if it is due to SJS or my diabetes or my forced menopause though. My thyroid level is normal.

• Posted

TJ, most women find some body hair thins or even disappears after menopause, forced or natural. A few unlucky ones find it gets worse though! I was dark-haired when I was young, and fought a constant battle with very visible hair on my arms and legs. Within a year or two of a comparatively early natural menopause, at 45, my limbs were beautifully smooth and hairless. Well, there have to be some advantages!

A friend, however, found that the hairs on her legs got even thicker and darker after menopause, in spite of her head hair having turned completely white in her 50s.

However, practically all of us find our moustaches become more luxuriant with age!neutral

I also used to struggle with a thick, black, single eyebrow - you know, like that Mexican painter I'm probably not allowed to mention here (this site doesn't like names of famous people). I now have virtually no eyebrows at all, and have to brush them on with grey eye-shadow before leaving the house. In my case that's definitely the result of a mildly underactive thyroid that went untreated for years. Ditto my hair loss, which stopped when I was finally put on thyroxine, though there was no regrowth of the lost hair.

When it comes to post-menopausal women with SS, I think things like hair loss, brittle nails, skin dryness etc. are often down to six of one and half a dozen of the other.

• Posted

Hi Lily, I think it could be a combination of things. I also have to draw on my brows because they are so thin. No mustache smile Just thinning hair and very slow regrowth but hey, I do look at that as a plus smile...except for  the eyebrows! Glad my thyroid is normal...good to have something that is smile

• Posted

Off topic, I am curious about something I read linking Mono which I believe is the Epsein Barr virus with SJS. I had it as a teenager and was out of school for over a month. Did you have it also?
    • Posted

Yes, it's well known that the Epstein-Barr virus can predispose to all kinds of autoimmune conditions. The problem with that one is that it's such a common "fellow traveller" that most of us have been infected with it at one time or another, mostly without being aware of it.

But maybe people who develop diagnosable infectious mononucleosis (or glandular fever as it's sometimes known in the UK) are more prone to autoimmune conditions? I don't know the answer to that one.

Certainly I've never had it - to the best of my knowledge, that is. That's another problem. Even in some people who do develop mono, the symptoms can be so mild as to be put down to a cold. I've never been tested for EBV antibodies, and that probably wouldn't be very fruitful at my age anyway, as it's my understanding the antibodies only stay around in the blood for a few years.

It would still be interesting to know what proportion of SS sufferers have been diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis at some time.

• Posted

I had it when 17. This is the first time I've heard of this possible link.

• Posted

I'm 24 years old. . Not 40-60

• Posted

Hi Lia, I was replying to TJ, who'd mentioned a forced menopause, which brings on the symptoms of ageing in women. I realise your case is quite different.

It sounds as if you're under medical supervision for all your problems. Have you discussed possible solutions for your hair loss with your doctor?

• Posted

Actually since it wasn't painful I never brought it up. Except for thinning hair on scalp, and brows it was so nice having to hardly ever shave, especially with HS! smile I am making a list to talk about with GP today and will bring it up and get back to you all. I am leaning towards diabetes or my hysterectomy possibly but it one side effect I ca live withsmile

• Posted

Oops! I was talking to Lia on that one! You can see who's replying to who (or should that be whom?!) by looking at where the arrow is pointing at the top of a post. But we all misread it sometimes, including me!rolleyes

Glad you too are enjoying your silky arms and legs! I'm sure your hysterectomy has had something to do with this, though it should be mitigated if you're on HRT. I elected not to take it myself. My then GP was so incensed she bumped me off her list - this was around 1990, when it was thought that all post-menopause women should be on it - but I stood my ground and have never regretted the decision. At 72, I still haven't developed osteoporosis either, in spite of all the women in my mother's family getting it, which puts me at high risk.

• Posted

Good for you and sorry for the misread. I had mine 26 years ago and refused anything also. I am now almost 49. Have a good day! I am off to bed if I can fall asleep smile

• Posted

Hysterectomy at only 23! So sorry to hear that TJ. Life has dealt you a bad hand, just like Lia.

But I have to say you look fantastic for 49! If that's your photo, of course.razz I confess to using a blonde friend's photo on CVs (with her permission) when the passion for photos on job applications started around 35 years ago. My head and face have always been too large for my body, making me look hugely overweight in head shots, even in the days when I only weighed 48kg/106lb. Because my CV and self-expression skills were good, I usually got called for interview, where I'd smile sweetly and explain I'd changed my hair colour. (My friend looked nothing remotely like me, btw.) It often worked!

• Posted

Dear Lily, thank you so much for the sweet compliment smile That is me and yes it was very hard having a full hysterectomy that young. It started with a bit here and a bit there gone with adhession surgeries in between. Over 15 surgeries. I really wished I could have had children but thankfully have the best nieces and nephews and grand nieces and grand nephews in the worldsmile Life hands us all bad things and getting through them just makes us stronger. I was actually hit and almost died my first day of kindergarten by a drunk driver. I have a lot of physical problems, but then I look at my sister who at 41 had a kidney transplant and children in wheel chairs or people in the hospital and know my life isn;t that bad though I have my days where pitty parties are thrown. At this point I am just mad and want treatment becuase like yourself I am guessing are so so so tired of the pain and am filled with frustration. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.