hair loss help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi has anyone got any tips on contoling hair loss iv just started using minoxidil 2% and just wondered if anyone knew of any vitamins I could take to promotell hair growth ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

I just got my diagnosis from the 4th dermatoligist who took me seriously, along with my primary care physician. They ran blood panels for hair loss, another for hormones, which suggested nothing wrong, as thyroid problems and/or hormone embalances  can cause hair loss.

As it turns the last test was a scalp biopsy and it suggests I have alopecia areata, which is not permnent destruction of the hair follicles like citricial alapecia that causes scaarring and destroys the hair follicle, but is lony responsive to treatment 40 percent of the time. Are you only finding hair in your brush or empty spots, receding hairline? I would check in with a dermatolgist who deals with hairloss. There is also an Alopcia Areata Organization if you are interested in the UK http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi susanw, I have alopecia areata too. I dont know what vitamins or medicine to take or which would really be effective. My dermatologist gave some medicine but I found no postive reviews on those so didnt really try them. Can you suggest me some? What treatments have you taken for alopecia? Are they effective? DId they show positive results? Would really appreciate if you'd let me know.
    • Posted

Have you found anything that helps?I have had alopecia aerata for 3 years.It started when I was under a lot of stress and also weaning myself off HRT.Ive tried supplements ,creams from doctor but nothing seems to work. I've two large bald patches with a few hairs growing on the back of my head.Luckily it hasn't got worse and my long hair covers the bald patches .Id love for it to grow back .The dermatologist said sometimes it grows back and sometimes it doesn't.Ive not tried minoxidil not steroid injections as I'm a bit anti drugs prefer natural remedies really .

Atleast it hasn't got worse or changed at all.I did wonder if it was anything to do with HRT?My doctor said not.My other theory was perhaps due to yeast infection as I always use to suffer with thrush and as it's an autoimmune disease which means the body is trying to rid itself of something and mistakes the hair follicles as the enemy.Anything any body has found to work ?

• Posted

​Personally I take iron, vitamin D, C, folic acid and a few antioxidants like Green Tea and Grape Seed extract. Specifically for your hair you can also take vitamin A and E and a few amino acids. 

It is a lot of different pills so it makes sense to decide on a combination pill. I used to take Priorin, but have now switched to Hair Plus after another user suggested this site in another thread 

This is a very useful site with links to all the research for each vitamin. Good luck

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

If you are using minoxidil 2% solution then you do not need to take any extra vitamins for hair loss.
  • Posted

Hi Daniellle

I have been diagnosed with alopecia areata.I have tried everything so it's hard to know what is working?I have just started to regrow some hair but not sure whether it's the vitamins or topical treatments,shampoos etc

Still the vitamin supplement I am taking is Maxi Hair one a day by Natures Best.

Lots of reasons for for hair loss and I've had blood tests etc and all Ok so it's a wierd and upsetting condition.Good luck and let's hope a cure is found!

Jane

• Posted

Hello,

Hair loss is common problem we face. Here are some tips, hope that gonna help.

- Massage your sculp with the almond oil

- Apply Henna on Hair, it provides better shining & act as a conditioner.

-  You can also use the egg white to reduce the hair fall.

• Posted

There are lots of reasons which causes hair loss. And the main reason is stress, Depression & not proper care. To reduce the hair fall, here you can try out these ways at home itself.

Use Almond oil - It helps for hair growth.

Also give a massage to Scalp with the warm coconut oil, It reduces the hair fall. Also you can apply Henna as well, for good conditioning hair.

• Posted

Hi danielle,

I'm having the same problem. I just read that coconut oil all over your scalp promotes Hair growth. I'm also taking Biotin. If you go on Pinterest there are a lot of ideas you can get as to what may help. Do you know why your hair is falling out? I was sick and malnourished and I also lost quite a bit of weight quickly which is why I started losing my hair. It is very upsetting! If I were a guy, I would probably be dealing with it much better, lol. I wish you the best and hope it will stop falling out very soon!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.