Hairstylist of 20 years having CTS Jan 25

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I"ve been a hairstylist for 20 years now. My orthopedic Dr is doing the surgery. Ive been dropping scissors, clippers, combs. I am scared to death of all the posts ive read. The EMG test said is was severe in both hands. im doing my dominant hand first.  How long would u think it would be before i could cut hair again?  Im a single mom and i cannot afford to be off long. Any answers would be so very appreciated.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Meg77!

Of course each person is different.  All I can tell you is that I had both my hands done at the same time.  My non-dominant (left) hand was much worse than the other one.  Immediately after surgery, I was able to use the fingers on both hands.  I was advised not to lift anything heavy for the first two weeks, after which I could begin to get back to normal activities, as tolerated.  Both wrists remained bandaged for the first three days.  The stitches remained in for two weeks, during which time I wore disposable gloves when showering just to keep the stitches from getting hung on anything.  I have had excellent results since my surgery last October.  I pray all works out well for you!   

• Posted

Remember that people with problems have much more incentive to visit forums like this and post than those who have had trouble free surgery so reading patient postings on the web gives a falsely poor impression of carpal tunnel surgery. Most patients do very well. That is not to say however that there cannot be problems. Unfortunately an EMG described as 'severe' does not mean much because so many people have their own ideas of what 'severe' means. Unless you have access to the actual measurements you cannot really tell how bad it is physiologically.

For hairdressing you should be off for something like 2-6 weeks depending on how quickly you heal. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Thank u. My Dr gave me a copy of the actual measurements . I've had shoulder problems for several years as well. I have been on Etodolac to help with joint pain. It's just that I can hold things when working and it's slowing me down bad and affecting my sleep. Thank u for the positive words. I'm hoping to be back to cutting hair in 2 weeks

• Posted

If you can find the measurments for median distal motor latency (DML) to the abductor pollicis brevis muscle (APB) that is the single most indicative measure - they will be quoted in milliseconds (msec).

Endoscopic surgery has slightly shorter recovery times - a comprehensive meta analysis concluded that, on average, return to work was two days earlier with endoscopic surgery. However other factors than the type of surgery have a much bigger impact on return to work time - especially your pre-operative attitude and expectations and, perhaps unsurprisingly, how much you need to return to work - the self employed tend to go back faster regardless of what kind of surgery they have

• Posted

Hi Meg,

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU FIND a surgeon who does Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release. There are a limited amount of surgeons who are skilled in this but recovery time is highly reduced, your bandages are removed the merry next day and replaced with a bandaid, pain is only moderate for 2-3 days and there is no extensive rehab. Definitely the way to go. You can also get both done at the same time which is what most patients choose. If there are none in your area, you could possibly contact Dr. Jack McCarthy in Omaha, NE for a referral. I'm having mine Friday. Will let you know how it goes!

• Posted

Yes. I'm getting endoscopic surgery. Thank God. I've just heard so much negative about ct surgery. So thank u for the positive info!!

• Posted

Oh, and good luck to you on your surgery!!! I bet it will be a success smile

• Posted

I have had both of mine done 18 & 12 months ago . Was done in local medical centre by a nurse practitioner . Local anaesthic and only took 15 to 20 minutes each time . Was only at centre for just over 1 hour each time , and that included having a cup of tea and a biscuit after . I have had no problems at all , glad I had them done . Has made a great difference to my life . 

• Posted

That is wonderful to hear!! So encouraging. How long did u take off work to recover?
    • Posted

I'm retired , but was coping with two very lively granddaughters , 3 and 5 years old within a couple of weeks  . I am so glad I had them done . Good luck ,don't worry ,  and I hope you recover as well as I have . 

• Posted

Sorry Meg, trying to get you to an article but they keep holding it to moderate it! Be patient I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.