Hairy Toes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since ive had my op, ive had some hair growing from my toe and also up the forefront of my foot. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and do you know why tis would be. I know i never had any pre op. Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margot

I have developed a mane of strong black hairs on the top of my toe and over the top of the metatarsal (slight exaggeration) since having this operation. I have been told it is due to the increased circulation which facilitates the healing. This is borne out by the fact that the operated-on foot has been slightly warmer than the other since the operation (about thirteen weeks ago). Presumably the hairs will become finer again when the healing is finished!

• Posted

Lol nicola. I know what you mean. I thought it had to be something to do with the op as i have it on both feet. How has your recovery been? Looks like you are a month ahead of me. Are you managing to walk ok?
    • Posted

Hi Margot! Yes, well, I may yet turn into a gorilla. You never know! My recovery has been excellent except for the lack of upward flexibility of my toe which was expected as I had a lot of wear and tear. With some superb help from my podiatrist in the way of orthotics which enable my foot to roll forwards without pain I have not only been able to walk but run. Since week 7, I have been running once a week on a treadmill (nice and level and bouncy) and have managed 26 minutes after starting from about 5 minutes and building up gradually and managed a cautious run of about 1 mile today along a pavement as I was late for the dentist! In general though, I have stuck to cycling (in stiff-soled cycling shoes) and avoided impact sports. I've been surprised that I can run so early but have just listened to my foot when it says "Stop!" One time I didn't listen and carried on running on the treadmill for another 20 minutes and it hurt for the next week!

My foot is still a bit swollen and I can tell the nerves are still recovering but so far so good. Good luck to you all! Be active but listen to your foot/feet and see a good podiatrist because they work magic!

• Posted

Hi nicola. I think it is very impressive that you can run on a treadmill. I live in hope that i might be able to run again some time too.

You say you have orthotics though. How long will you be expecting to wear that for? And when you say that your nerves are still healing - can i ask what kind of feelings are you getting? Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi Margot. Thanks. Good luck with your running. I reckon it would take a bit longer if you've had both feet done. Really, it is thanks to my orthotics!  I don't know how long I will use them for. Possibly forever. I used orthotics of a different type before the op as well. They were to correct my faulty biomechanics which caused me to get a bunion on my right foot only! Regarding the nerves, after the op the outside of my big toe was completely numb and in the last month I have been able to feel progressively more down that side. It is not yet quite normal sensation but fairly close. I suppose you could say it is slightly oversensitive and slightly tingly, nothing that worries me really.
  • Posted

Lol, I thought is was because they'd shaved my toe, I'm 8 weeks and have had to pluck my big toe!
    • Posted

OUCH!!!! helen. I got my toe nails painted  a few days ago. Got her to wax my toes and the forefront of my feet at the same time. That was painful enough. (think the foot is quite a sensitive area though). Its funny cos i thought the same thing at one point as well. smile
  • Posted

I thought it was just me, my big toe is sprouting hair which I never had before!
    • Posted

Ha ha this forum made me chuckle! Yes the hairy toe syndrome after op also happened to me! I could actually feel a sensation on top of my big toe weeks after op not because of the op but the hair sprouting through! Ha ha
  • Posted

Wow I was wondering the same with the hair on my big toes... never had it, nice to read I am not the only one smile 
    • Posted

Hello martz. Yes I had never seen anything about this on the forums before. You will be pleased to know though that it does get better smile
  • Posted

This waa so helpful to read! I also have been dealing with this. I have blonde hair. The minor hair I had on my toes prior to surgery was blonde. Post-op it's black! I thought it was surgery related. It's nice to know it's common. I'm hoping in time it becomes fine and light again.
    • Posted

Hi Kaliana. I am now 7 months post op and no longer have the hairy feet smile. Thank goodness for that

• Posted

Good to know! I'm 9 weeks post-op. Looking forward to the change back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.