Haitus Hernia treatment for the elderly

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 87 year old mother is in hospital and very sick with Haitus hernia - she has been vomitting black blood and has an aspiration tube - twice the hernia seemed to settle but the doctor told her to eat normally which put he right back - now shes on the third time and they don't think she could have an opteration due to her medical issues and age - does anyone have any comment or know of an elderly person who has had the operations successfully ? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I do not know of anyone that age who has had the surgery.   I am 65 now.  Still am not fully recovered from my surgery- although my surgeon told me that it could take up to 6 months for me to get back to my normal feeling.   I feel sorry for your mother.   Hope that the doctors can do something for her.   Good to hear from you.
    • Posted

Thanks Ruth. It's very tough and I feel helpless. Let's hope it settles.
  • Posted

Hi Carol

I am 81 and just had surgery on the 16th of February in 2016, I also have copy but am active.

My surgery went well except they had to do another surgery the next day because they got it

To tight, found quickly because had constant pain in one area. I am doing very well, still recovering and will have to be on a liquid diet for 5 more weeks. Diet is so important because if eating solids food can get stuck until the healing takes place and swelling goes down. Very important to have a doctor that has done many, nausea has to be treated from the start agressively, they don't want any vomiting. I am walking 15 to 20 minutes daily now. I had my surgery by Dr Aye in Swedish hospital in Seattle. I hope this helps, the surgery took 2 hours.

• Posted

Carol that was supposed to say COPD not copy.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for the replies Jo it sounds like you had a great doctor. I am not so sure we are in the same position here unfortunately. I am doing lots of research to try to find the best person.
    • Posted

Am glad that your surgery just took 2 hours to complete- as mine took 5-1/2 hours.   I am still bothered by nausea and sometimes I vomit.   I try to watch what I eat- but sometimes the simplest foods don't stay down.   Have had problems with soft noodes, which is hard to believe.   
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I am so sorry you are still bothered , especially with the nausea, I was told by my niece after she had a surgery of some sort nothing they gave her would help with nausea but she rubbed peppermint oil on her stomach and drank a cup of tea with 1 drop of peppermint essential oil and it was gone. I don't have the exact and the brand name but I will get and post it later. My surgery was not an open, was yours?, because that is how long it would have taken had it not been lapascopic. Did u have to stay on a liquid diet for 5 weeks. Praying for you.

• Posted

Right now I am on a "mild" diet.   I seem to tolerate certain foods--- mashed potatoes, soups, jello, ice cream, yogurt.   Sometimes I manage to eat some meat.   I have taken a small slice of Spam and heated it... usually stays down.    Would like to eat more meat for protein.   Thanks very much for the prayers!
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

Try using a good protein powder and make a smoothie with it to get your protien. It may be a good idea to find another doctor that has done many of these surgeries to see if he can find what may be happening with you since your surgery. My follow up includes check up next week which will be 15 days after surgery, then in 6 months for an endoscopy and some other things, then another check up within the year from surgery, then yearly, so they seem to follow up well. My Dr is Dr Aye in Seattle. If you aren't close enough to see him, try going on line and see what u can find. I pray all will go well for you. I am still on liquid diet and will be for 5 more weeks.

• Posted

Hi Carol, I'm 72 and had a Nissen Fundoplication done in October 2015 for a Hiatus Hernia and acid reflux.  Since then I have suffered with nausea and diarrhea.  I take Imodium and anti nausea pills.  My stomach gurgles very loud and when I do eventually go to the toilet it's like a grenade going off in an amunitions factory.   Right now I'm sorry I had the surgery.  My surgeon said it would take a while for my body to recover.  My family doctor wasn't in favour of this op. just wish I had known about all these complications post op before I had it done.

Sosorry to hear your mum is suffering so much.  Do hope there is something they can do for her.

Val

• Posted

Thanks for your comment and sorry for the issues you still have. Hope they improve e over time.
    • Posted

Hi Val. I am Chris I had a nissen on 9th Nov 2016 I have had nothing but problems since.

Impacted bowel. Then 2 weeks after op severe vomiting. GP put me on metoclopromide as thought stomach wasn't emptying. It worked for about 4 weeks then vomiting and diarrhea severe night sweats and heart racing. Decided to come off it.

Consultant sent me for an endoscopy then barium meal test. After barium CONSTANT diarrhea which resulted in me being admitted to hospital. I was on a drip for 6 days lots of blood tests and poo tests.. Was discharged after a week with meds to stop Diarrhea. No diagnosis. I have since had a nuclear stomach test. All these tests are for gastroparesis though no one will mention that word. I overhead the consultant mention vagus nerve damage not long after my first problems. At the time I did not realise the seriousness of damage to the nerve. I am seeing the consultant on 18th March for results and hopefully a way forward. I must be stronger because I am now very angry at the lack of information given to me and also to my GP. Please tell me how you are

• Posted

Hi Chris

I am so very sorry you are having these problems. Did your doctor have you on a liquid for 6 weeks?, I had the surgery Feb 16th and doing well except get lots of gas, also a diaphragm repair was done and is still healing. I know the my doctor did not want any vomiting happening so he started treating nausea in the hospital before it ever happened. There is a possibility of these surgeries coming undone and I think vomiting is one cause of that, worth checking out. Hopefully your surgeon has done many of these type surgeries. I pray they can find the problem.

• Posted

Hi Jo

Thanks for your reply. I had a diet sheet, first liquid then sloppy and soft. I followed it to the letter. I had the op on a Monday discharged on Friday with no advice re vomiting all I had was a diet sheet. From info on these forums I was alarmed at the level of vomiting I had, so called GP who put me on metoclopromide and also said 'these ops don't work' which really helped!!! I am really annoyed at the lack of information, my niece is coming to the consultant with me as I am exhausted, and I need support my husband is too involved and has been upset at seeing me in such distress. I will let you know what transpires on the 18th. Thanks for your concern it helps

• Posted

I am so sorry Thistle that you had so little info on the vomiting. Do you know if your surgeon has done very many of these operations? It is a good idea to have your niece go with you, support is so important. I pray this all gets well. I do pray for the people on this site. If you have quistions don't hesitate to ask you.

Jo

• Posted

HI Chris,

Like you I have been suffering severe post op nausea, diarrhea etc.  I've just got off the phone having called my surgeons office to get an appt to see him. The nurse I talked to was very helpful and said she would relay all my symptoms to the doctor to see if this is normal in recovering from this op.  She did say it could take a year before it all clears up.  Meanwhile I will get a stool sample done to eliminate any infection.  I'll post the doctor's opinion when I hear back.  Meanwhile I'm sorry to hear your suffering so much.  Do hope you can get some relief from your symptoms.

val

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it makes such a difference to hear other

people's experiences. The surgeon was recommended I don't know

how many of these ops he has done but his after care is

nonexistent. Forgot to say I am 66 and have had problems with this

Hernia for about 20 years only got the operation as all of my stomach was incarcerated

In my chest. I was out last week for the first time since Boxing

Day I don't know what made me feel better it is the randomness

Of this sickness which is so difficult. I will let you know how I get on. Many thanks

• Posted

I am doing somewhat better, but still not completely healed yet.   And I still get vomiting spells- but not as often.   Today I tried to eat some of those packaged noodles (flavored with a garlic sauce) and some stayed down.   When I do throw up, it is most of the time just a slimy, clear liquid that I vomit.    In general, the food (itself) stays down.    I saw my surgeon last Monday and he keeps telling me that I will have less problems with my stomach as time goes on.   I really hope that is the case.    I didn't lose anymore weight- still weigh 127 pounds according to the scale at the doctor's office.
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

Have you tried nausea medication?, I had the surgery Feb 16 of this year and doing OK but yesterday started having nausea so called doctor and was told to go back on nausea meds and it has helped. I have also been having pain in the diaphragm which was repaired, feels like a tight string around that area. I started eating crackers in my soup and may be that is giving me problem so today will stop crackers and monitor myself. I do get lots of gas that forms around diaphragm which brings pain. I to will be glad when total healing takes place.

Best to you,

Jo

• Posted

I do take the generic form of Zantac.   I think it is helping at times.  Am not having as many vomiting spells as I had before- and I am so glad for that.  What bothers me is that one day I can eat a certain food with no problem- then, the next day when I try to eat the exact same food, I get what I call an "air bubble" and then I feel as though I will throw it up.  Doesn't happen everyday, though.    Very confusing!    But my appetite has definintely improved!    Thank you, God!    Pray that all of the people who post comments will get good results soon!
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I find I must keep my meals very small or I can get feeling very sick after eating. This meal you eat that sometimes makes you sick and other times not, check you self as how much you eat each time sand see if portions are the same.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Chris, I too am having a poo test to rule out infection.  Still have nausea but not as bad these past few days.  Hoping I'm on the mend.  Very depressed for the past week or so.  I think feeling unwell for so long has taken its toll on me.  Wish the Surgeon had told me about all these side effects before surgery.  Like you the after care is non existent.  Hope all goes well with your visit to the Consultant.

Val

• Posted

Hi Valerie

Take some 20 minute walks each day, should take care of depression, also helps with over health. Walks were part of doctors orders for me after surgery.

• Posted

Valerie, what were symptoms before your op please as I am near your age.  I have now and again when I swallow very bad pain in centre of my chest and indigestion, which is a feeling of burning or real hungar in my stomach.  Also a feeling that something is at the bottom of my breastbone all the time.

Does anyone else have this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.