Hand Infection Cellulitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went to the doctor today because the side of my hand is infected and has been for three days. Started off as a small painful red bump that I initially popped. Not until today after I showered and popped it a little bit I noticed cellulitis started over half of the top of my hand. It started swelling and tylurjing red.I panicked and went to the doctor. She prescribed me antibiotic 1400mg Clindamycin each day for 12 days. The wound itself looks horrible and looks like it really needs to be debreated. If the inflamation doesn't clear or if I see streaks in the veins she claims I need to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I never had this before and very nervous. Fortunately I don't have any other Sid effects, fever, chills, swollen lymph node. Not painful either. My question is when should I start seeing the redness, swelling subside, and will I need to pop it eventually?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Don't pop it, take the full course of antibiotics and see how it is.

• Posted

Thnx Brad. Do you know typically how long it would take the antibiotics to reduce swelling and redness of my hand?
    • Posted

First of all DO NOT POP IT, it's the worst thing you can do, most people get it through a break in the skin or a insect bite.It can take a few weeks or longer so don't worry if it seems a long time to clear up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.