Hand spasm reaction

Posted , 4 users are following.

OK. So doctor put me on Amlopidine 5mg for raised blood pressure (average 145/98).

I took one tablet in 1st April. Actually felt my rapid heart beat slow and blood pressure that night was down. Felt relaxed as was daughters birthday and had been out for a meal. Went to bed and fell asleep. Woke up approx 15 mins later with burning tingly forearms and my hands in claw like spasms. Freaked out and ended up in A&E. Heart all ok.

Had bloods at docs before all this and all ok.

Never took another tablet but still have mild tingling in hands and also very slight in feet two weeks later.

Slight tingling in legs too. (Very mild). And oddly knees feel "tight". Any ideas? Had acupuncture yesterday in back and hands by my osteopath and one hand feels slightly better. TIA. X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi christine80234,

I had that same experience with my hands; however, my symptoms dissipated. If they continue, I would contact your MD.

Actually,145 is not that high. Your low number is a little high. If you can try other means of lowering it like diet, sodium intake, etc., it would be beneficial to you. Exercise is also good. I recently started grapeseed extract and I believe that has started to help.

I walk about 4 miles three times a week, weather permitting.

Doctors are too quick to hand out drugs!

Let me know how it goes

Sharon

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. How long did it take for you to feel better? It's been two weeks now and due to go on holiday Monday but a little nervous that this buzzing in hands won't go.

• Posted

christine80234..Forgive me if I seem judgemental here, but taking 1 tablet is hardly any time to judge whether or not it was the Amlodipine that caused your problem.

I would never encourage anyone to stop taking medications without the knowledge or supervision of their doctor. You described claw-like spasms. ..that sounds like muscle to me. As for the tingling...that could be something else...but again, I would say it's far too early in the game to blame things on the Amlodipine. Your bp was down the night of your daughter's birthday. THAT could have been contributed to the fact that you were quite relaxed. BP fluctuates minute by minute. 

In the meantime, I'd do some walking, or whatever other excersie you enjoy, as per Sharon's suggestion. By all means get back to your doctor abou your hands & the tingling. Good luck.

• Posted

I know it's seems odd but I had just had the all clear from the doctor as all bloods were ok. All this started 5 hours after taking this tablet. Coincidence maybe but with clear bloods what else could it be? Went to A&E and they agreed it was a bad reaction to drug.
    • Posted

Since stopping drug I am walking more, lost 3lb, eating beetroot (supposed to lower bp) and feel a lot less anxious than I fid a few weeks ago. Systolic bp down and diastolic bp coming down slowly. Now 127/93 ish.
    • Posted

Hi christine80234...glad to know you're feeling better. Are you going to be eating beetroot every day? THAT will become such a bore in a while, that you'll want something else. The doctor at the Emergency said you had a strong reaction to the Amlodipine. I would suggest you consult your own doctor about whatever other meds you can take. Amlodipine isn't the only bp med out there. You might do well with 175mg Avapro, but I'm not a doctor by any means. You didn't state your age, but here in Canada it's quite acceptable for anyone 65+ to have a bp reading of 140/90. 
    • Posted

Hi. I just turned 50. Still having strange sensations in hands but trying to ignore it. Quite like the beetroot. Lol.

I am flying to Spain on Monday for 8 days but stupidly been reading on the Internet and convinced myself I have Guilin Barr syndrome. Lol. What am I like?

• Posted

Hi again,christine80234...Do yourself a great favour, & don't be looking up a lot of things on the internet. You could wind up scaring yourself out of your wit's end. Believe me, I've done it. You're not qualified to diagnose things, & there are a lot of symptoms out there that may match what you've got, but that doesnt' mean you have that particular ailment. 

Have a great time in Spain!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.