Happy Birthday New Hip...2 months old today!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a hip replacement on the first of June, these are the things I can now do:

1 I can sleep normally on my back and my operated side.

2. I can get up from a chair without any pain.

3.I can go up and down a flight of stairs using the bannister with minimal disconfort.

4.I can sit down/drive  for a long time without any pain 

5 I don't have to take any medicine at all

Things I still cannot do:

1. reach down behond my knee on the operated side.

2. long walks without feeling pain the following day

3 short walks without feeling a light pain /discomfort

4 moving my knee up to my chest

5.sleep on my not operated side

I am still improving in many ways but I am been told that  it takes up to a year to reach a "full recovery"...

I am writing all this not to show off but to help who is in the beginning of this adventure called "hip replacement".

Best wishes to all of you, wonderful people writing in this forum.

Ella

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello! Well done you! It seems as though your getting there! I am 5 months post op tomorrow! But even now not without problems for me.!! Mainly because I am a full time carer for my hubby,and he's got awful mobility!! He's severely sighted and deaf.and also has oa of lumbar hips and knee's! So we are a couple of right hop along at the moment! I know it can take a good year to get back to normal! I am having reflexology and am going to focus on having jacuzzis! As I suffer from stress!! Regards Amanda
    • Posted

Dear Amanda,

You are doing so much!!! I wish you all the best in your recovery...take care and write in this wonderful forum...we are here to help each other!

Big hugs

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Ella!,Thank you! I am not one for sitting down.This week I am planning to have a jacuzzi at the pool in Guildford, so we will walk to our bus stop and travel there by bus.I will have reflexology at the end of next week! It s really awkward for me being a carer.Not much time for me! Sorry to rant! Regards Amanda
  • Posted

I am a month behind you, Briskwalk, done on 30th June so it is good for me to see your progression - thank you.

My pain is gradually turning to discomfort except when I am tired. I have halved my co-codamol. I have an un-cemented joint and still get quite a sharp pain mid thigh, again, worse when I am tired.

Happy 2 month birthday to you and your continuing progression. I am still in awe and amazement of the magnitude of this op and the way people on this forum help and support each other over all of our questions and niggles. To see someone write down where they are in their healing is not showing off all I think you should be showing off - high five!

• Posted

Dear Kate,

when I am tired I have pains everywhere, and the only thing that helps me is to go to bed! My implant is cemented...it's routinely done if you are over 60 years old!

I love this forum as well, and I am amazed by the way we can regain our strenght and independence...I am so grateful to moden surgery!

Have a good and quick recovery, take care

Big hugs

Ella 

• Posted

Don't know where you are, but I'm in UK and, out of four THRs, only one has been cemented. Last one few months ago, uncemented, and I'm 65.

Such differing practices and guidance.

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Yes, mine is uncemented and I am 63. I believe revision is easier with uncemented, so if you are an active person, you might need another hip replacement in your lifetime. That's what my surgeon implied anyway!

So many different trains of thought!

Linda xx

• Posted

I am in the UK (Berkshire/Hampshire). I don't really know the pros and cons (cemented, uncemented), I am just repeating what my surgeon told me...

Yes, there a re so many differences !

Ella

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

My surgeon told me that with the "new" materials they use now, an implant should last a life time and he prefer to do a cemented on on bones which are over 65 years old... We will see!

Ella xx

• Posted

Happy birthday Hip

This is a great post for someone like me who is at the early days (day 5)

It helps me see how positive the forthcoming weeks will be for me

Hope your next few weeks see you achieve without pain the ones that do at the moment. Xx

• Posted

Dear Sarah,

the first fwe days are very difficult, I remember it well...But we improve a little everyday and this is very comforting. From now on you will feel better and stronger...It's a long process but we will get there in the end!!

Take care, best wishes for everything!

Ella 

• Posted

Hey, brisk walk - you are doing good

Give yourself a pat on the back - I am sure you are so much more improved than pre op and will continue to improve

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

Dear Pansy,

Thank you for the pat on my back ( just done it!)...

Pre op i coudn't walk at all, I coudn't sleep for more than two hours, I coudn't sit, I coudn't go upstairs:.I had to do one step at the time and I was getting worse and worse by the day...I would be in a weel chair without this operation!!!!

Best wishes and big hugs

Ella 

• Posted

Sounds wonderful. It took me longer than 2 months to bend at the waist & pick something off the floor.

you could work on getting your knee to your chest by doing it in bed. Lay in beg, heel on the mattress, toes up, and drag your heel to your butt (bending the knee). This would be a low impact exercise that stretches those leg muscles. 

• Posted

Good one also if I may suggest the important butt squeezes. It helps all the muscles especially the core muscles.mi still do them. 

• Posted

Hi Jodi-France,

I try to bend my leg up to my chest every day doing the exercise you describe, now  I can lift my heel from the bed...It's getting better, but I think it will take up to one year to regain all movements. I bend at the waist to pick something up from the floor but also I make sure that the operated leg is stretched out at the back...I have been able to do this a few days after the op...

How are you keeping?

Ella

• Posted

Might even give me a JLO butt ??? Strangely that exercises wascnot on the booklet I got from Hosp but I read on here to download pocket physio and it is on that. This forum has been my rock.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.