Hardened swelling and burning pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had this operation 1 week ago, surgery went well, however the instruction papers and nurse never advised to use ice, just said to use support briefs, i shoud have had enough sense to know better, i have hardened swelling the size of a lobsided baseball, and burning pain comparable to shingles, not sure if this is an infection or nerve pain from the hardend swelling compressing the nerves, have been icing for last 3 days, seems like a long process to reduce this since its hard as a rock, called the dr office today and they don't seem to know much about recovery they gave more more antibiotics, but i'm not sure that it's infected, i did pick up some b12 pills today to help aid the nerves/circulation, i feel like these problems could have been avoided by icing from the start, any insight is appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ice was my best friend for about a week after my surgery.  I also was prescribed Tylenol-3's.  They have codeine in them for the pain.  It seems to me, you did not get proper after-care directions.  The Ice together with the pain pills got me through some very tough days.  I used and needed both.  If it helps you any, my procedure was about 6 moths ago.  The swelling has gone down.  I am currently pain free.  And all functions are back to normal.  Hang in there, and good luck.
    • Posted

thank you, glad to hear good long term results and that you recovered to nomal, i was also prescribed tylenol 3's, only used half of them the first week, still have a few left but they will barely touch this burning pain, and t3's have always worked for me before, I am also concerned about the swelling since it's hard as can be and doesn't seem to be reducing much, all the soft tissue swelling is gone

• Posted

Hi Bill, I also went through this surgery, and am about 16 days post OP. Do you mind sharing how long it took for the swelling to go down to a reasonable size? As in, to appear normal enough that it wouldn't affect your sex life?

Definitely something I'm concerned about. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Swelling went down noticably in about 6 weeks.  Sexual function after 3 weeks with a little discomfort.  2 or 3 weeks later, I think, everything was back to normal with no pain or discomfort.  About 6 months after the procedure, I am back to walking 3-5 miles a day.  Thisis about what I walked before the swelling and then the surgery slowed me down.  I hope this helps you.
    • Posted

That certainly helps, thanks a bunch man. You seem to be one of the only people here that had a smooth, sucessful recovery! I hope mine turns our similarly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.