harrishill

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi itchychris. I'm not sure what splinitis is, but I have an enlarged spleen. However hopefully my Hydroxyurea has improved it. Curves is like a women's gym, where we also do zumba. I try to go work out every day.

We have zumba on Sat. and we use cd's during the week sometimes to also do zumba or special Jenny Craig workouts. We women love to talk and laugh, so it gives me some socializing. I go early morning, although they are open afternoons too. I read afternoons, or nap if tired. Curves also sells a diet plan. I don;t need that. I believe exercise helps my arthritis. Have a good evening.

harrishill 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Seems like you've already diagnosed splinitis (inflammation of the spleen).  I took hydroxy carbamide for quite a few years and never had a spleen problem. but I was regularly checked for enlargement (carbamide is new name for urea).  Your medics will undoubtely keep a check on you, for an enlarged spleen is well known with PV.  Whatever you are doing keep it going if you enjoy it and there are no harmful effects.  Good luck  Be aware of the side effects associated with hydroxycarbamide and make sure you discuss anything with your medics if necessary.
  • Posted

Harrishill,

Curiously the condition is called Splenitis and not Spleenitis as one might expect. Anything with the suffix of “itis” refers to an enlargement or swelling. In this case it is the swelling of the spleen.

It is common among PV people though the enlargement tends to be slow and usually does not cause a problem. As a haematologist once described it “big but not huge”. As I understand it, problems usually begin in the transition from big to huge. A minority of patients eventually require a Splenectomy, the suffix “ectomy” meaning removal.

I watched a Zumba clip on YouTube and had to have a little lie down. In real life I think that it would be too much for my blood pressure!

ItchyChris

• Posted

Hi itchychris. I guess I don't need a splenectomy yet anyway. Our zumba teacher is fun. sometimes I have trouble following her moves exactly, cause she changes the routine every so often. But, it's okay if we can't get it exactly. I find I can keep up, and since curves is usually cool and air conditioned, not too hot. My biggest problem comes with being outside in the sun. I tend to sweat from my head, and drip all over. That's why I don't go walking unless I can get out very early before the sun gets hot.

harrishill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.