harrishill1

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, clem. THAnks for responding. Anyone else with PV have rheumatoid Arthritis and gout?

The reason I'm asking, is that I read online that rheumatoid and gout are common with PV patients. Now I wonder why.

Harrishill

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't seen the rheumatoid arthritis online as a complication of PV. I do suffer from osteoarthritis. Haven't had the gout happen as of yet.

From what I understand is gout is a direct complication of simply having too many red blood cells.

"Problems due to high levels of red blood cells. Too many red blood cells can lead to a number of other complications, including open sores on the inside lining of your stomach, upper small intestine or esophagus (peptic ulcers) and inflammation in your joints (gout)."

Hope this helps. Thinking about it maybe with gout the increase in rbcs contributes to the increase in Uric acid levels and in turn builds up in the joints...

Take care.

Jess

• Posted

Hi jess, I was a wondering of you were okay as I hadn't seen u on here for a while. Pleased your still knocking around.
    • Posted

Yes, I've also read that PV can cause gout. There are also many articles saying that one can get something called gouty arthritis. I was always told I probably had Osteo. Finally this year, was seeing a rheumatologist wjho diagnosed rheumatoid. I Knew all along it had to be rheumatoid, cause I felt it at such a young age. Finally diagnosed at age 73!!! Good luck and happiness to all.

Harrishill

Hi jesskidding. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I have also heard that PV comes with gout. My hope and prayers are with all of the PV patients out there!!!

Harrishill  

• Posted

Funny you should mention it. Any time I mentioned to my GP about foot pain , she tests me for gout. I thought it odd as I have touched the demon drink for 6 yrs. Ta for that title bit. Be well
  • Posted

Hi Clem. Well, it so happens that gout goes with rheumatoid arthritis.

Some don't get gout but I did. I haven't ever been a drinker.

I used to have some wine with dinner, but stopped as soon as I learned I had gout 3 yrs ago. Contrary to popular belief, gout isn't always caused by drinking.Also, I am not obese. At present, I weigh 123 lbs. This was my weight most of my life.I am a female. I am just still curious if many of us with PV have rheumatoid arthritis. Good luck

harrishill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.