Has Alendronic Acid burnt my throat? Please help! :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

On Saturday 11th June I took my very first dose. Was a bit silly... didn't drink enough water with it but didn't realise I needed to. Anyway... fast forward to Friday 17th. Started to feel like something was stuck in my throat and it was scratchy when I swallowed. Not realising the link, I took my second dose the following morning. By Saturday night it was agony to swallow. I have not eaten anything since then and it is now Wednesday. I can drink water and milk. Eating is agony. Still feel sensation like something is stuck in my throat. Went to A&E yesterday and doctor was very dismissive. Didn't even exasensationNow I read all this about Alendronic Acid being corrosive. What should I do?

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca I would phone your GP. It could be due to reflux as you didn't drink enough water. Ifind nearly a pint over about half hour and neatly n hour before I ha e anything else. Hope u feel better soon Lyn
  • Posted

So glad I never started this awful thing that is supposed to be medicine. I have trouble swallowing sometimes so hesitated starting taking it and am so glad.

I hope this will pass for you.

I might be inclined to get a second opinion as this sounds serious. It may have got stuck long enough to cause this and left the ill effects.

I do hope it passes but check it out anyway!

• Posted

Was at a bone clinic yesterday where about an hour was spent just describing the various OP meds and their possible side effects and the right way to take things like alendronic acid.  Rheumatologist was rather cavalier about the side effect of gastric upsets of any kind, but emphasized the iomportance of taking enough water, not eating anything else, and remaining upright for the right amount of time. She really did say that the instructions for taking it had to be followed to the letter.  I would think you'd be advised to wait for the throat to heal completely before taking any more of this medication.  There are injectable forms of OP meds for those who really can't tolerate the swallowed kind.  Me, I'm chicken and I'm sticking to my vitamins and exercise!   wink
    • Posted

I too have had trouble with the throat and not being able to get the tablet down my throat. I asked at the chemist if they did a Gastro-resistant Tablet and they did not know? go figure. They said if I could find one on line to let them know. I have looked it up and they have it in liquid form as well as table.
  • Posted

Rebecca, I have a friend who had a similar problem and she didn't get help in time and had to have part of her oesophagus removed. The A & E doctor wants his wages stopping as does the person prescribing this without adequate warnings. You really need to get expert assistance pronto.  This is dangerous, there is a good reason why you have to take loads of water first, with, and preferably later as well. AA is not a nice drug, if your body reacts badly it could cause many other problems not least of which is an ulcer and some others which are incredibly serious. Please get help from someone who will listen, as quickly as possible.

• Posted

I only just noticed how long ago this was posted. Presumably you will have some follow up to your initial post. How did you get on?
    • Posted

I don't seem to have any problem as long as I get the smooth tablet and I drink water before and a glass after. Before I take my other meds of course waiting a half an hour.

After breaking a few bones, for me a better option than trying other methods.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Sadly this seems to have been Rebecca's only post and only comment.

• Posted

Thanks Wendy, the broken bones must have priority once your gullet was sorted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.