Has Amitriptyline dose increase caused very dry skin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My GP put my Amitriptyline up to 150mg about two weeks ago and since then my usually oily skin has been getting drier and drier. Ordinarily if I touch my T zone, I will be left with sebum on my fingers. My skin began feeling tight (like sun or wind burn), itchy, hot and then started to peel/flake badly. Is this something any of you have experienced? I am still not getting any more than a couple of hours sleep at a time, jealous of all the people saying Amitriptyline knocks them out. My tolerance must be pretty high as I take co-codamol 30/500 throughout the day and Nefopam before bed but still the sleep only comes when I almost pass out with exhaustion. I would be very glad to hear your thoughts on the skin issue. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Kate...wow!! That is soooo strong, I've been on 25mg for over 16 years now...originally on a higher dose, but I was like a zombie all day...and to my system that's heaps- great sleep with no muscle spasms or pain...I have not had any side effects like that, but it dose give me a dry mouth throughout the night and in the morning, but that is easily enough remedied by more water and oral moisturiser spray.  I really hope you get the answers your looking for on here...I have Fibromyalgia and heaps and heaps of us are on it for the pain...might be worthwhile looking at that blog on here......have a nice day Kate..be blessed..:-) xxxhugs from Australia
    • Posted

Hello Christine, ha ha yes I've had people tell me I'm on enough to fell a horse! Doesn't make me even slightly sleepy though.Not really doing much for the pain either unfortunately. Oral moisturiser spray sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that as I keep waking with carpet tongue! I'm just washing my face with plain warm-tepid water then applying bio-oil. I daren't use anything else. It is getting worse by the day so I'll have to get back to the Dr. Thanks for the reply, hugs right back at you from Yorkshire! xxx
    • Posted

Yorkshire...wow!!!that's where I was born..in Aus now......I use coconut oil for my very dry skin..works wonders...it's my daily face moisturiser too..and cleanser.. I use it it inside and outside my body...very very healthy and of course sooo natural.. It's sets like butter..melts on touch..,I cook everything with it too..be blessed and have a lovely day...:-) xxx
  • Posted

Yes I get dry skin on my arms face and legs I've been on the drug for. Year now 30-40 mg per night it's been wonderful for my pain
    • Posted

Completely alien to me, my skin is now like sandpaper! That's great that you are getting some comfort from it. It's not doing diddly squat for mine. sad I'm waiting for an appt at the pain clinic so hopefully they can sort it out. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.