has any body experienced these side effects of clarithromycin/

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a sinus infection for a few weeks & went doc who prescribed me 500mg clarithromycin twice a day. A day or 2 into the medicine I developed a headache (similar to sinus pain but worse) thought it was just my infection but then I found myself short of breath. Couldn't sleep at all. Then whenever I could sleep I had nightmares. I stopped taking this after day 4 and now I feel like a zombie, I feel unbelievably depressed. I am out of it. Can somebody please please help me. Have any of you gotten Better after Finising this medicine? Its 4 days since I stopped taking it. I feel like going to the hospital im in a complete state of manic / anxiety. Please tell me if you got better. I feel so disorientated

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I suffered severe anxiety/panic attacks after taking clarithromyci, along with sudden food allergies, headaches, weight loss, fever, elevated blood sugar levels--my entire metabolic system was messed up. It's been a little over a year, and everything has pretty much cleared up. I asked for prayer at church and that was the turning point for me. I also took a probiotic for a few days that contained the helveticus and longum strains, and that took care of the anxiety. I am so sorry to hear that you've been suffering. I believe that you will get better in time, hopefully sooner than I did. I will keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

Thank u so much for replying. At this point I will try anything. I'm glad to hear your better. My head feels like I'm in a fog. I can't believe this medicine has caused all this. I wil never take it again. I think I will go doctor today and explain how I am. I really need this to go away as I am back to work in a few days &in an immense state of panic.

• Posted

I really feel for you Tricia. I had very similar issues after taking the same drugs and for similar issues. I'm a very positive, very balanced person and this medication threw me totally off course - horrible anxiety, depression, stomach aches and the most scary thing was thinking it wasn't going to stop. Trust me, it will get back to normal. It took me about 2 weeks after stopping the clarithromycin to get back to 'normal'. Take a very good pro-biotic (with multiple strands) get plenty of rest and treat yourself kindly. I know how disorienting it feels, and just trust that it's just the drug messing with your balance - you will be fine. I will keep you in my thoughts. With best wishes, Melissa.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Melissa. Feels good to know I'm not alone here. Do you think drinking water will flush the antibiotics out of my system quicker? I got thrush in my mouth also few days into taking this. which I never had before, so got a gel for that. Apparently its 1 &10 in 1000 people guess I was the unlucky one. I have taken a probiotic but not sure if its right one. I need to stay positive.

• Posted

Yes, lots of water, lots of good food and probiotics. And I think Caryns right, press into any kind of support you have - be that family, friends or some belief. As goes the great saying "this too shall pass" - it will get better. smile

• Posted

Also Tricia - I found that doing things (like going to work) actually took my mind off it a bit so see you you go, but if you feel anxious at all, try and eat foods that calm you use some aromatherapy or whatever helps to calm you down. I also can't believe that this medicine doesn't have hard core warnings on it - definitely tell your doctor. I told mine and she was surprised. If we don't tell them, they won't know!

• Posted

After 2weeks of being in utter horror. I am finally back to normal again! I'm taking vitamins,minerals probiotics every single day. I need to find that strain of probiotics you were saying, but I'm from Ireland so not sure what they would be called? Thank you so much for helping. I felt that all hope was lost, even the pharmacists from 2different chemists were telling me they never heard of any one reacting to clarithromycin before. But that they were strong. They should come with a solid warning! Lesson learned!

• Edited

The anxiety/panic was the worst part of it for me, althoughit seemed to affect every organ of my body. I do remember drinking plenty of water to try and flush out my system. Have patience, and in good time, symptoms will subside. I remember the joy of being able to eat some of my favorite foods again without getting a blinding headache or having the sensation of my body being on fire. For relief from the anxiety, until I was led to take the Jarrow 15/35 probiotic, I pressed into the Lord, speaking Paul's word to the Phillippians: "be anxious for nothing, but in all things, in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God, and the God of all peace, which surpasses understanding, will guard your hearts and minds until the day of Christ Jesus." If you are not a Believer, please don't take offense, but if you do trust in God, He is able to carry you through this until you body returns to a healthy state. Not trying to preach, just sharing what helped me.

• Posted

Hi Trisha,

I hope you are now completely recovered from this horrible experience.

I know that it was a few months since you posted this but I believe my mum is experiencing similar side effects that you experienced at the moment and I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that things will improve.

She was on 1000mg of clarithromycin twice daily for pneumonia. After a few days on the medication she started to display signs of mania as well as suffering from insomnia. Unfortunately, we had no idea it was the medication so she stayed on it. By the time she had finished the 7 day course of antibiotics she was in a real state. Incredibly hyperactive with severe anxiety. After a second trip to A&E they confirmed that it was the medication.

It has now been four days since she has been off the medication but we are seeing only little improvements. I notice that you said it took you two weeks or so I guess we just need to be patient but it is incredibly distressing.

This antibiotic really is unbelievable in how it can effect you in such a significant way.

Thanks

Scott

• Posted

Hi Scott

I wondered how your mum was getting on after finishing the antibiotics?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.