Has anybody had a Sphincterotomy?

Posted , 102 users are following.

Hi All, I've been advised to 'seriously consider' a Sphincterotomy following Botox, which doesn’t seem to have worked. Although I'm booked in for a second round of Botox, my consultant advised me to have the 'risky' op The risk he says could result in incontinence and this is what scares me. Has anybody had this procedure, what was the recovery time and did it work, without the incontinence? Thank you.

4 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Ian,

Yes I had this procedure in December 2013, and so far so good! Recovery in my case was fairly quick I.e. after about 2-3 weeks I felt much better then pre op. I discounted Botox as my surgeon didn't practice this method and the pain was too great to wait around! I have been lucky so far and not experienced any incontinence… was advised to have 2 baths per day after the op, which was a day case job.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• Edited

Hi cahill , can you please tell me the pain you had after your fissure surgery while you were recovering?

• Posted

Hi. it's been a year since i faced constipation and since that i feel there is something in my anal region. for first few months, there was pain. now there isn't any pain just burning after BM. But still i can't sit on my bum. it feels like there is something inside. I went to the doctor, he examined and said that it's a chronic anal fissure and surgery will be done. I'm so terrified about the complications. He said the risks of complications is minimal but still I'm terrified of post op and complications. can anyone help please

• Edited

Cahill, thanks for taking time to read and reply. I was admitted to our local hospital via A&E as the pain was immense. 40 mls morphine took the edge off it and i was scheduled in for op following morning. Whilst there they took biopsies and gave Botox. Been back to consultant this week and they advised me to have the Sphincterotomy. Its the incontinence bit what's putting me off. I've not been able to go to work since 17th Jan. Currently working from home as the pain is so intence after a B and sometimes lasts for hours. Was you off work for long? I've been reading some forums where people have been off for 4 weeks plus. I dont fully know how much of a risk it will be, some say 5% some say 20%. What was the % from your consultant?

Thanks

• Edited

I had mine done on the 31st of jan and today is the Feb 4th i haven't gone back to work yet but I have resumed my normal routine. My BM are absolutely horrifying. I've been taking stool softener since the day after surgery and it's still rock hardand incredibly painful. Any suggestions?

• Edited

Lots of fluids, lots of miralax. Back off any narcotic pain pills, it causes constipation. Try to just take ibuprofen. Also use the sitz bath. Hang in there, the worst is over. I am 18 months post surgery and SO happy I did it.
    • Posted

When did you end up going back to work? Are you glad you had the surgery? I've been suffering for years now decided to have the surgery. Did you have a Colon surgon do the surgery?

• Edited

It depends on what you do but at least 2 weeks off. It was the full 6 weeks b fire I was 100% but it was not bad at all and SO WORTH IT.  Yes, I had a colo-rectal surgeon do the operation. He also removed a skin tag and an external hemorrhoid. I suffered for 3 years, don’t hesitate. I am symptom free and so glad. Best of luck
    • Posted

Hi there, 

I had my surgery done yesterday and am wondering what to do to help with recovery ? The hospital didn’t give me much info besides a list of medication to buy. Please help ! I’m so scared of having bowel motion. I also seem to be bleeding slightly ( few drops) did that happen to u ?

• Posted

Hello, not sure exactly what surgery you had or which country you are in, but I had the 'rind' removed from the fissure and a sphincterotomy to cut away a little of the muscle.  What medication was on that list?  I did the following:  1. took the medication, 2.  early in morning ran a hot bath and got my entertainment set up for 3-4 hours worth of TV, 3.  did my BM and cleaned with sterile wet wipes 4.  got immediately into bath 5.  sat there for 2-3 hours, depends on pain  6.  lay on bed with legs bolted together to avoid all movement.  When I was in such pain I was crying then the doctor finally allowed me to get some Lidocaine which helped as it numbs the tissue.  Be careful what you eat, obviously easily digestible things only, drink a lot of fluids, KEEP THE BM REGULAR EVERY DAY DO NOT MISS A SINGLE ONE

• Posted

The worst is over. The recovery will be way less painful than living with AF. My advice would be to eat light, drink lots of fluids and stay on your laxatives/stool softeners and use a sitz bath to soak your bottom especially after a BM. Stay away from narcotics if possible, they constipate! Try ibuprofen for pain. Don’t be scared, my first trip to he bathroom didn’t hurt at all but there was blood which is normal. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for that. My first BM was okay but right after it passed the pain was sooo bad it was almost like a burning stinging pain in that area. The salt bath helped. How many times did u get into the bath ? We’re u prescribed a cream ? 

I’m taking Movicol and coloxyl with senna at the moment as stool softeners 

• Posted

I got in an Epsom salt bath a couple of times a day in the beginning and then I used a sitz bath (the kind that fits over the toilet bowl). It really helps. No cream, just soak and pat dry. I used a baby wipe that I rinsed out well to clean after BM, then soak. Try ibuprofen for pain. Best of luck
    • Edited

How are you feeling?I had my surgery done 5 days ago and it hasn't been a smooth ride.

Day 1 after, burning, unbearable sensation

Day2 throbbing pain, called the dr, dr chalked it up to being tension pain

Day3 pain became milder, burning sensation left (I think it was the runny bowels that caused it), but more swelling around my anus, called the dr and he basically said its normal😑

Day 4, felt so much better, pain very mild very easy to use the bathrooom swelling is still there.

Day 5 pain is stronger, swelling is there.

Day 6, oh boy, woke up, had a bm and it feels like someone has a hammer just beating away at my anus. Hurts so bad. Weird pain. Not a sharp pain, a throbbing consistent pain . Tried soaking in the tub, it throbbed in there, took pain meds, still throbbing. It's more an annoying pain. Miserable pain. Please tell me of you've experienced this and if so what did you do. If feels like I've pulled a muscle. I did not strain while having a bm. I had a polyp removed and my fissure was worse than they thought. I know its getting better but this recovery is worst than I expected.

• Posted

I am schedule for surgery tomorrow and although I know this is the best option for me after suffering for so long and trying all other options, I'm very anxious.  Thank you for giving your daily recovery details as I find it a great help. 

Any suggestions other than watching what I eat today, do you have any suggestions for me?  Will be praying your pain eases and you can see great improvement quickly!

• Posted

First let me say I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for you!

My suggestion would be to definitely use stool softeners. My dr told me to take 2 to 3.

Your first BM will hurt initially but find something to hold on to and let it out!

I think my burning sensation was from runny bowels, try to keep a not to soft but not to hard bm.

Try not to eat anything spicy.

My surgeon really didn't tell me what to expect so I think the reason I'm so uncomfortable is because I had no heads up.

Expect to be in pain after a bm. Soak immediately and take your pain meds because that's when I'm in the most pain. The pain may last hours after a bm.

For me, sitting up on a chair pillow is the most comfortable thing for me. It's not too soft or too hard.

I soak at least 5x a day. Anytime I feel any pain , I soak.

My pain I had this morning which sparked me to post on here has lessen. My swollen has went down some as well. So maybe this is my behind say of telling me " the finish line is near!

Also, my dr told me to keep it dry with no creams. He left 2 external hemmhroids but took care of the fissure and polyps. I tried not to use any ointment but I broke down and ended up buying alocane , which is a burn gel. It help 100% and I credit that to the swollen reduction.

Sorry this is so long, I just want to help you as much as possible because I've been so lost. As I approach my week post surgery,I can see the much needed results. Good luck

• Posted

Hi there! I had the same surgery as you as well as a Sphincterotomy 9 days ago. Still on ibroph. For pain but my question is...did you ever feel like a stingy annoying discomfort whole walking. I've been feeling like this today 😶

• Posted

I definitely remember some stinging. I had the end of a stitch that was annoying me so that might be it. I did pack some gauze that was dampened with sterile saline in there for a long time to keep the irritation down from the swelling and stitches. Hope you heal fast. The worst is behind you (no pun intended)
    • Posted

Today is #9 for me too I still feel stinging especially after a BM. It's almost like a little pinch feeling. I'm still having trouble keeping my BM not to hard and not to soft.

• Posted

Thank you. Oh My goodness it's really annoying. Makes me want to rub some kind of cooling ointment. I have 2 babies and it's been rough! Thank you for all your help.

• Posted

Yes that's exactly what i feel. I've been eating full fiber bagels, fiber cereal, strawberries, fiberone bars to help. I'm still on ibrophn but it's that stinging pinching discomfort. sad

• Posted

No I wasn't told i could use them. But is this normal. It feels almost like a sharp object rubbing around that area

• Posted

My stinging pain lasted only a couple of days. I did use ointment. Dr advised not to but after reading on this forum, I went ahead and got some ointment. Even a burn ointment helped. Tucks pads as well. Soak as often. As you can even if its every hour.
    • Posted

Thanks. Its my 2nd day feeling this way. Let's see how it goes this weekend!

• Posted

It’s the stitches. Get sterile saline spray, spray it on 4 x 4 sterile gauze pads and put it in there.
    • Posted

Hi Mandy,

I hope you're well. I will have on the 6th of november Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of a polyp. The NHS misdiagnose me with piles and been to the hospital 3 times and had banding for apparently "piles"but didn't have that condition.... have a polyp and anal fissure.

Can you please tell me how did you recover, any advice? I am a nursery nurse and I work with children. Will have 1 week off.... after 1 week do you think it's gonna be ok? How did you managed the post surgery, did you had any infection? also was it done under GA? as mine will be under GA.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Suzana

• Posted

Hi. I just had the surgery 3 weeks ago. The 1st week after surgery was rough & I did get an infection. Was in ER with 103 fever 2 days after the surgery. As for 1 week off of work you might need a little more time. I was back to work in 12 days but if it wasnt for the infection I think I would've been ready sooner. I can tell you though I am very happy I had it done because here I am 3 weeks later & I feel great. 100% back to normal life

• Posted

I took my sitz bath with me to work when I went back to work. I used it everything I had a bowel movement. Miralax stool softer really helped me more than other brands. you probably won't be 100% within a week but you will be close. I know it's so scary but you will be so much better after the surgery is over. I was lucky and didn't have any infection. I think the sitz baths help to keep it clean. I was under GA and had a polyp removed also. keeping your mind strong is probably the hardest part. try to put your mind towards whatever gives you happiness to distract from the pain. I'm here if you ever need to chat.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for replying. I am scarred of infection because an infection can cause sepsis and I don't want to die. I am scared to death of this but I am going to a private hospital as NHS misdiagnose me and I have been treated for a condition which I don't have and at the private clinic told me what is the real problem which the skin tag and anal fissure resulted from the NHS consultant banding skin tags and he said that they are piles hence my situation now.

• Posted

Hi Mandy,

Thank you so much for replying and for your encouragement.

Suzana xx

• Posted

Hi Maria,

How are you feeling? I will have a polyp removal plus the anal fissure surgery on 6th of november, this tuesday coming. I am really scarred as I will go under GA and I am an occasional smoker, I heard that if you smoke the GA can be complicated. Did you have GA? How was your recovery? How long did you stay at home for recovery? I will have 1 week off for recovery and hopefully I will be fine. Did you use any antibiotic cream for the wound?

Many thanks,

Suzana

• Posted

Hello! First and foremost I pray for a successful surgery for you. Everyone is different. However my vest advise is for you to anticipate pain and being uncomfortable for a full week. I took 2 weeks off due to my dr orders. I had polyps removed, anal fissure and hemorrhoids surgery. The best thing you can do is soak as much as you can. It is not advised to use cream but after day 3 I bought some and felt so much better. There is no way I could rate the pain other than painful. But keep in mind the surgery is in a sensitive part of your body. I dont smoke so I dont know about that. Epson salt and a hot bathtub pretty much every other hour is what helped me. I was so much better after the 7th day. I found that when I laid around in the bed I hurt the most. Sitting up felt better. Try to stay away from narcotics after day 2... it causes constipation. Your first bowel movement will be more mental than anything. It wont be as bad you probably thinking it would be. I used calmoseptine ointment which I had to order from amazon. It was a lifesaver. It kept it dry and allowed it to heal. Again, at first my dr said not to put anything on it but there was no way I could deal with the pain. My surgery was performed by a general surgeon and it lasted about 45 mins. I hope this helps!

• Posted

I smoke & was fine with the anesthesia. I had 2 surgeries in 3 weeks because I got an infection the 1st time. They gave me some steroid breathing treatments & was totally fine both times. As for recovery time I would try to get 2 weeks off. I was feeling better in about 10-11 days but want to be sure. Sitting on my butt was painful for those 10 days or so but What I was scared of most was having to go to the bathroom at work & not have a bathtub to jump in after. I will say I was scared as hell about the whole recovery but to be honest it was not as bad as I feared. Yes I was in pain but not much worse than before the procedure & healed up pretty quick even having to go back in & doing it

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your reply. It really helps a lot. I am going to a private hospital with a lead colorectal surgeon but I am really scarred of the GA. The surgeon said it's a simple procedure and it will take around 30min so I am hoping it will be ok. I am suffering at the moment with pain anyway with each BM as the polyp is so big and prolapsing also the anal fissure and at the moment after each BM I am in pain and have sitz bath and cream over there, if it will be like now that's ok but hopefully it won't be more painful. Will keep you updated as this website helped me a lot and maybe my experience will help others in same situation.

All the best,

Suzana

• Posted

When I woke up from surgery I think it was more mental than anything. The pain is bad but I scared myself so much prior to surgery that I think it cause my 1 st day which was surgery day to be so painful. Just know that next week you will feel so much better ❤

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

Thank you very much for your reply. It really helps.

All the best,

Suzana

• Posted

It's the same feeling for me too. I am very scared before the surgery and I think that it's worse then the procedure, pain itself.

I am trying not to think about it but it's impossible. Thank you for your response❤

• Posted

how you feel now?? am two months of lis. still paining

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.