Has anyone been prescribed a benzo( Ativan,lorazepam, diazepam) along with citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

My doc prescribed me lorazepam to take when needed along with my citalopram. And i have had to take it a few times to calm down and Everytime I take it I feel bad that I couldn't calm myself down. Just wondering if anyone else has had something like that prescribed for them and if they have used it. Scares me coz I heard they are addictive and I don't want to. But sometimes so bad I have to take on. 0.5mg is the dose she prescribed.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Many medications we take need to be taken frequently.

Yes there can be withdrawal although if done well we are ok

Talk to your GP if you have any doubts regarding your medication

BOB

• Posted

I've been prescribed both also.  I have depression and anxiety.  The Citalopram helps somewhat with expression but doesn't help the anxiety much at all so I take the lorazepam at night to make sure I get good nights sleep (which I do) and if needed, I take .05 mg lorazepam during the day.  This has worked for me  until lately....now, the anxiety is wore so will see my dr in 2 wks.

• Posted

How long have you been taking lorazepam for?

I am just afraid to become addicted or depend on it

• Posted

I take 10mg Citalopram. Very sensitive to meds.  I've been taking it for about 5yrs or so. I've been taking Ativan for many years,over 10 yrs.  I've remained at same dosage. I'm probably dependent on it and maybe addicted but the low dosage I take and how it helps me are well worth it. Depression and anxiety are difficult to,live with. Quality of life is important so I believe if you're knowledgeable and respect the meds for what they can and can't do, it's an individual choice.

• Posted

I agree it's hard to live with and at this point anything that helps is well worth it.

• Posted

Hi, yes I was prescribed diazepam I had it for a good few weeks and took A's and when I needed it or when the panic was too much, don't feel bad for taking it you won't need it forever and you shouldn't get addicted as long as you don't take it everyday for long periods. I found that l if I took diazepam in the evening to sleep I would wake up panicking even more in the morning because I'd been so relaxed. The Drs then put me on to Propranolol which is not addictive and just calms your physical symptoms down a bit. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

How long have you been taking propranolol?  I take it also as I have essential tremor.  A well as helping with anxiety, it helps my tremors which is why it was prescribed for me. What dosage do you take?
    • Posted

I was taking 40mg 3 times a day initially but I just rake now as and when I need to x
    • Posted

I ended up having to take lorazepam 4 days in a row..... And I feel down on myself for that. But I hope it's ok I took it this much. I just couldn't calm down and was desperate.

I heard some people take it often. I just want to feel normal again.

What dose of citalopram are you on and for how long?

• Posted

I'm taking 40mg of Citalopram at the moment I'll probably be on it a while dr says to keep taking it until I've had 3 months of feeling ok xx

• Posted

How long have you been on 40mg? And how long did it take to start feeling ok?
  • Posted

Don't feel bad Hun , I used to take 3mg every morning for about 2 weeks and the occasional 4 mg at night to get me to sleep.

All you do is try do your breathing to calm you, and if u need it u need it Hun, it helps. You won't need it for long though I promise.

• Posted

Yes I have been given diazepam as am having severe stomach nerves/anxiety immediately on waking in the mornings.  I have just increased the cit from 10mg to 20mg, 3 days ago.  It's the anxiety that is so debilitating but I have tried not to take the diazepam unless absolutely necessary. Hope the cit kicks in soon x

• Posted

How are you doing now?

I also have that first thing when I wake and then I just start thinking and it gets worse so I have taken lorazepam a few times and get down on myself for resorting to that. But I am told it's there for me and if I need it I need it.

I see my doc tomorrow. Been 5 weeks on 40mg.

How are you doing? Have you had to take your diazepam?

• Posted

Hi Isabel.

I had quite a good day yesterday until I fell asleep in the afternoon and that then increased the anxiety all evening.  Seems that the anxiety kicks in on waking, whatever time of day! Today, the anxiety was with me u til about 3pm. Feeling better this evening, even managed to eat which I can't do in the day.

i haven't taken the diazepam since Friday but believe me, I wanted to at times! Just scared of getting addicted to them to be honest although when I have taken them in the past couple of weeks, they have just calmed me down, not made me feel on top of the world so I guess that's a good thing in that they don't make me feel great!!

It will be interesting to see what your doctor says tomorrow. Mine keeps reassuring me that the side effects will ease up, it just sometimes takes time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.