Has anyone been taking gabapentin and had abilify prescribed as a add on? If so, how was it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been reading reviews on abilify and they're very mixed. I love my gabapentin, it works wonders for me but from what I've been reading about abilify it makes me very weary to take it. It was prescribed for my anxiety and because I've been having delusional thoughts about a post apocalypse world that send me into a panic state. So please, if anyone can ease my worries about abilify I would love to hear from you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marni, this is the first time I have read that someone loves Gabapentim!  All I have read is the downside of weight gain and side effects.  How much do you take? and what for?  Cant help with abilify as dont know what it is.
    • Posted

I have seen other people write they are very pleased with the effects of gabapentin , remember this forum tends to be negative as that is why people have come here in the first place!x
    • Posted

I am so so pleased to hear that there are some people getting on with Gabapentin, I really do need good pain relief for my spinal cord damage.  But admit this forum has made me think that it is affecting my mental health.  I do suffer from depression and have tried twice to stay on Gab.  but cant help wondering if it has all been mind over matter.  I dearly want it to work for me as everyday is difficult painwise.  Thank you so much for replying it has meant a lot to me.  My Dr. thinks I havent given it time, but I have read so much on here that I am scared I wont cope mentally on this drug.
    • Posted

Your mental health must surely be affected by your pain to great extent. I would be inclined to allow a bit of time before you put your mental health problems at the door of the gabapentin, if it is helping the pain. Having said this, be aware it has been associated with suicidal thoughts, (as have many other drugs! )Also after you have take it for a while it can be hard to come off. (This is not always the case).
    • Posted

Sorry susie-I had thought I was replying to Marnie. Forgive the confusion!x
    • Posted

Hi Lucy its okay, I am just hoping to read that someone will write a more positive review on Gab.  I have in the passed had suicidal thoughts but hey they have probably been caused by reading too much into the Gab. side effects.  I do tend to panic and get anxious that I am not in control, but the drug is as I know you cant just stop it.  Although it does work for me except for the dark thoughts.  As you said cant always put this at Gab's door, but I do always feel I have to be the one in control and my pain certainly doesnt give me that feeling.  Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Hope you can enjoy Christmas, try and remember, we live moment to moment, some good, some not so much! Take each day as it comes, and try to find the good moments and let them carry you through the bad. Happy Christmas.x
  • Posted

I just added abilify to my meds as well I take 40 prozac 225 effexor 1200-1800 gaba 10 abilify it's my 2nd night taking the abilify so can't say much yet besides it makes me sleepy.

• Posted

Your symptoms sound identical to mine, I was prescribed the same drugs. Abilify does help with anxiety, but is someone sedative, so might interfere with daily tasks. In general removing anxiety is a greater help to doing things, than the sedation inhibitive effect is to stopping me.

• Posted

I thought that someone was asking about gabapentin and abilify together. no one's addressing that concern and I want to know because I've been described both of those and I want to know what happens if you take them both together. I've been trying to find before I start him to see if it's good to take them together or not. thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.