Has anyone else experienced this

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have read that this is a symptom of AS but need to talk to someone who has had the same problem. the palms of my hands are always red and swollen....and also everwhere I perspire there is a rash which looks like "chicken pox spots " it's not itchy but very sore.  Has anyone else had this please.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gloria, its best to see GP when you are very concerned.  Hope you can find help there.  I DO know the AS is in a family of autoimmune diseases with various manifectations.  Lots of info available on the web too.  Best of luck, take care of yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Kay, I'm thinking of going to see a "Balian" here, which is a healer from the village. I do know a few and have found them to be very good at what they do.  Maybe we can find some medicinal herbs in my garden for this. I doubt that my doctor would know what to suggest. There are so many healing plants that grow near my home in Bali...I am sure we could find one. Thanks..

• Posted

Hello! I've had very strange skin issues. Most recently I've had a similar issue. I'll wake with zero skin issues and after a hot day, I'll have a red rash on my arms, belly and chest. When the rash is present, I won't feel it while in front of the fan. But the moment I step away from the fan, it begins to sting like a bee. It can itch as well. My belly just below my ribs is the worst. My rash has had small blisters, but very few. It has also changed the pigment of my lilly white skin.

Now that the warm weather is gone, I don't have a problem. So, it seems to be something similar to yours. But it wasn't exactly a heat rash. It didn't go away in a air conditioned room. I have to be in front of the fan. So either we both have a strange tropical skin disorder or it is AS related.

If strange things weren't going on with my body, I would get worried something was wrong. Ha ha ha

• Posted

Hi Edward...right, now I kinow I am not alone with this one I feel relieved.

My worst area is my rear end...I think it's from sitting down so much.. wish I could get up off my rear end and walk normally. I also have it on my arms and chest and shoulders..it's anywhere I get hot and sweaty. The spots are like small watery blisters a bit like chicken pox...I think you are right....it's AS related....OH well...just add it to the list eh. Many thanks.

• Posted

Hey there Gloria! Yes, AS is the gift that keeps on giving. It's like Evil Santa. I have eczema in my ears (which can be irritating). When I get to feeling sorry for myself, I just remember that others have it much worse than I do. Parkinson's, MS, Diabetes and the list goes on.

• Posted

I get up in the morning and wonder what else is going on with my poor old body...gotta get my eyes checked as they are sore too....with painful styes in both eyes...two at a time. Maybe coz my immune system is stuffed...Does anyone else get these...??
    • Posted

Got a big giggle out of me.  Ta for that. Awesome post.  Not that we wish any thing 'worse' on anyone.

• Posted

About the same time I was diagnosed with AS, I was also diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis.  And, wouldn't you know it, psoriasis appeared.  There are  different types of psoriasis.  A mixture of half glycerin and half apple cider vinegar with "the mother" greatly helps with the itching.

• Posted

Hi Yogee..thats interesting as two of my kids have psoriasis. But this doesn't itch at all...it is just sore and it covers about half of my body. Could this be psoriasis also. I doubt that I could get either of the things you suggest as a remedy as we live almost in the jungle of north Bali. Can you suggest another remedy to try please.

• Posted

Your  doctor is the best person to diagnose your skin condition.  I am sorry I don't have any other suggestions.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi gloria55119, I have AS and have also had pompholyx exzema since I was little on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. It tends to rear it's ugly head when I have a flare up so are probably linked. It appears as a burning sensation with hundreds of tiny blisters before drying and cracking and usually lasts between 2 - 3 weeks at a time. Not sure if this is what you are describing but I find that by avoiding all detergents including washing up liquid and harsh soaps helps to calm it down. 

• Posted

Hello Keely, yes this sounds like it...I will try to research a bit more info on it. I don't have the same thing as you describe on my hands and feet but other parts of my body about 50% now...The redness on my hands is not the same...but I have heard that it is related to AS. Thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

Hi, interesting discussion. Recently, I was listening to Rheumatology Oxford Journals Podcasts. One episode discussed AS and Psoriatic Arthritis could potentially be the same disease. Interesting. Anyway, I have had the red bumpy rash problem that gets worse when it's hot, or when my body gets hot. I've learned that in summer months I can reduce outbreaks by wearing only cotton clothing, from head to toe. I hope it can help you, too.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, yes I am sure you are right about AS and Ps Arthritis. My daughter has it all over her body and much pain..her doctor says she doesn't have AS..but I do and have done for many years. I also have patches of bumpy rashes wherever I perspire...Heat makes it much worse. I do live in the tropics so try to only wear a cotton kaftan around the house...but I still have the ras...quite severe on my buttocks and underarms, neck and back. I am sure that this is all a genetic problem. What do others think...Gloria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.