Has anyone else had pressure from behind bridge of nose cause facial pain as a Cushing's symptom?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone smile

New to the group and currently undergoing Cushing's testing after gaining 63kg over 5 years and having all the classic clinical presentations: buffalo hump, central obesity, stretch marks, fat pads above clavicle etc, in addition to incredible fatigue, insomnia, depression, moon face etc.

A recent chest xray for pneumonia showed 3-4cm adenomas and an angiomyolipoma on my left ovary, right kidney (on adrenal) and on the thyroid. I have a brain scan MRI tomorrow morning to check for pituitary tumour + also booked in for blood tests, dex test and 24 hr urine test.

Am wondering if anyone has experienced long term pain... or pressure causing pain... behind the bridge of the nose and between the eyes, with associated chronic headache? I've had one hanging around for months on end, along with ever increasing facial pain in that nose/eye region. Also a bit of pain at base of neck. Last night it was so painful that I woke up with moderate swelling of the skin around my eyes and petechiae patches either side of my nose. It's definitely not sinusitis... no congestion or runny nose etc... so was wondering if it could possibly be related to a pituitary tumour? Maybe a macroadenoma invading the nasal canal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Cheers 😊

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am a "cyclic" Cushing's disease survivor. I was the first to ever be diagnosed with "cyclic" Cushings. I have also had brain surgery, transphenoidal adenomectamy done in April of 1989 and again in May of 2016 with a reoccurring pituitary tumor, large one. I woke up with half my face numb, nose eye, inside my mouth, exactly half my face and head on left side, it was not a stroke, I had no stroke symptoms, so the MRI with dye showed the large Pituitary tumor. Yes, I believe your headaches and the pressure behind your eye and nose may be a pituitary tumor. It looks like they are following through with the extensive tests, and if diagnosed, I have found this type of surgery to be the easiest to go through. They will check for pituitary tumor and because of other tumors they may look at your adrenals also, blood and urine are tests that show the abnormalities. I have had numerous surgeries but the pituitary surgery, if you have a very skilled pituitary neurosurgeon and ENT surgeon with lots of thus type of surgery background..you will do just fine. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

• Posted

Hi cycliccushings... thanks so much for the fast response! 😊 I had to miss the wedding of one of my best friends today in order to get the pain checked out by my GPA (who is a young doctor interested in rare diseases, lucky for me) and he said he didn't think I had anything 'nasty' (carcinoma?) to worry about but didn't hesitate to refer me for an MRI.

How cyclic IS your Cushing's? I spoke to my doctor about that because I will be devastated if the tests come back negative. It's the only thing I've come across that fits all my symptoms and physical presentation. I mentioned to him that I knew that CS could be cyclic and he said yup, we'll just keep testing (he's convinced I have it)... so I was just wondering if the cycle is regular or at various, changing intervals? And if so, does it change how you live and take care of your illness day-to-day?

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hello Leah,  The sinuses are very close to the Pituatary Gland and are often overlooked when testing for Cushings.  I had to have a nother operation a year later to clear out my sinuses.  Maybe you could chat to your GP or Endocrinologist about this,.  A sinus infection which I have had twice is very very painful and can cause headaches and a feeling of heaviness around the eyes and noce.  Do let us know how you get on.  Take care,
    • Posted

Thanks so much, Vicky61456! I'll definitely bring it up with them because it's really irritating. The doc said the bruising around my eyes was petechiae and that (plus the facial swelling) was what convinced him further that this was a Cushing's case.

How are you feeling now? Thanks again 😊

• Posted

I'm okay thanks.  I still have to take tablets to replace some hormones were affected when the tumour was removed.  Still get tired occasionally but apart from that I am now back to my normal size and doing okay.  Keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi. I am just joining this board. I am not diagnosed but being worked up, doing a 24 hour urine tomorrow. But along with all sorts of weird symptoms I am having I have this burning type feeling in my nose also. That's what struck me when I read your post. It is very hard to explain. It's almost like I sniffed Clorox and it burned at times. But it is definitely a weird feeling and I do have a headache right between my eyes. Just curious if that's how you would describe this pain.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I am sure Leah will answer you as well but just wanted to say, yes, definitely get your GP to look in your nose.  It can be a sinus infection or can I believe be caused by the Pituitary Gland.  I also have sometimes an infection right at the back of my  nostrils which is an infection.  I have ointment for it.  The Pit Gland is right behind the bridge of the nose and very close to the sinuses.  The pain is very like sinusitis.  Do mention it to your GP,  Good luck with your test.  Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

No it actually just started and today it's not as bad almost like a tickle at times. It's just weird. I have a little scratchy throat so maybe I am catching something also! I just had bronchitis and pneumonia in beginning of January which started this whole thing along with a UTI that was resistant to a lot of abx and got it back again mid month. My dr is testing me because all of a sudden my BP skyrocketing out of nowhwhere it's been 200/100 s hr 150 ish. So he put me on meds. My left lung was wheezy and full all of January it took me weeks to clear that. I've had palpitations. But also my face Gets this crazy beat red along cheek nose and chin not really a rash but just pure hot red and my neck gets all this blotchy red also. My face gets so warm. So he is testing everything and we have reached this one next. I can complain of aches and pains for years. Fatigue. But lately I always feel like I am walking in sand and dragging my butt around. I all relate this to being overweight. But the more I read I have been saying my face blowing up and I do have like the extra fat at neck to shoulder area. I say I look like a quarterback lol. But I'm going to do the 24 hour urine today. I do have my menses I am hoping that does not affect the test. I will stay posted. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.